Mum is now Ill

Options
Hoping that someone can give some advice.

Mum recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the stomach, and at the moment we are waiting for consultant to confirm what the best treatment will be.

Mum owns her own house.

What would she be entitled to any benefits?
No. 83 in £365.00 in 365 days 17/365
Jan lunch to work days 10/20

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    MUM40 wrote: »
    Hoping that someone can give some advice.

Mum recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the stomach, and at the moment we are waiting for consultant to confirm what the best treatment will be.

Mum owns her own house.

What would she be entitled to any benefits?

Sorry to hear that. Your question is a little vague though.

How old is Mum? Does she work/will she be leaving work?

Does she have a mortgage? Does she have savings?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear this.

Have a read of this link which covers most of the benefits:

https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/special-rules

However, your best port of call are the MacMillan nurses who usually will be able to support your mum with her illness and any benefit entitlement.

Claiming means tested benefits will depend on your mum's personal situation - does she live alone/does she have savings etc

But as I said, speak to the MacMillan nurses.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're here and you've just received this news. This might be a hard read and difficult to process just now.

It really depends on the prognosis. I'm sure the consultant has explained that stage 4 is really quite far on and you may be looking at palliative care rather than a cure at this stage. If this is the case you can ask your consultant to fill in form DS1500 which is a claim where the claimant is terminally ill with a reasonable prognosis of 6 months or less, you don't need to tell your mum about this form and there's an option for "claimant is unaware of prognosis". As you'd expect DS1500 passports you to high rate of daily living PIP with almost no questions asked and you'd be likely to get high rate mobility as well and be able to apply for a blue badge.

If she's only just teetered into stage 4 and actually her prognosis is quite good she'd just apply as normal and would need to fill out the regular form and probably attend an interview with a healthcare professional (I'd ask for her consultant to write her a letter of support).
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2018 at 1:50PM
    Options
    I second the advice to contact MacMillan

You can ring them directly

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/benefits-and-financial-support/benefits-and-your-rights/introduction-benefits-system.html

Or check if your area has an adviser - checker is in the link
  • MUM40
    MUM40 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all, information about the benefits is a great help.

She is 80; owns her own house with no mortgage, and no savings.

I!!!8217;ll have a read through all information and will seek help to determine what we can obtain.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MUM40 wrote: »
    Thanks all, information about the benefits is a great help.

She is 80; owns her own house with no mortgage, and no savings.

I!!!8217;ll have a read through all information and will seek help to determine what we can obtain.

Pension, possibly Pension Credit and Attendance Allowance (under the special rules for terminally sick claimants, it's very quick to claim).

Get help filling in the forms - it's all bewildering when you're new to the system.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, due to her age it will be attendance allowance instead of PIP. You can still use the fast track form if applicable and it can still be used without her knowledge if that's best for her.

There's no mobility component to AA but any compassionate council will award a blue badge in the circumstances, a support letter from the oncology department will help with that.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Options
    She has no savings - does this indicate pension/pensions below GPC level?

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs48_pension_credit_fcs.pdf

Does she receive any support with Council Tax?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/attendance-allowance-claim-form
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd third the advice to contact Macmillan.

Also ask the nurses, they are often able to make a direct referral to the local Macmillan welfare caseworker.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • MUM40
    MUM40 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks All, I have spoken to one of our coordinators and he is going to issue the DS1500, and refer us to the local Macmillan office.

Mums diagnosis is not good, and will only be getting palliative radiotherapy care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family