Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 29th Dec 18, 4:12 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 1,605Thanks
    dragonlily
    Steps towards zero waste - 2019
    • 29th Dec 18, 4:12 PM
    Steps towards zero waste - 2019 29th Dec 18 at 4:12 PM
    Through 2018 I have been reading a lot about the impact of our waste on the environment. I have made a couple of small changes but seeing our bulging bins at the end of Christmas isn't good! It is a little odd as once you start thinking about excessive packaging you see just how much of it there is everywhere!

I don't think I am going to be able to completely change overnight but every little has got to help, and ironically I think old style ways of living, are well suited to doing this. If anybody else is interested in setting goals to work on reducing waste, buying more consciously and generally being fabulous in 2019 do join in. PS - I did a search for a post about this and couldn't see one, so if I have missed it, lmk and I'll move on over there

x
Page 4
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Jan 19, 7:43 PM
    • 12,665 Posts
    • 243,305 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    One tip I forgot which is sometimes very useful, is that you can apply a very slight pressure from your foot to the treadle, enough for the machine to hum slightly but not start stitching, and gently turn the wheel a bit.

In case you're wondering why on earth anyone would want to do that, sometimes a machine will balk at going through several thicknesses of fabric just on it's own treadle power, but you can 'walk' it through by turning slightly by hand for a few stitches. This would be where you are on a seam that is very thick, rather than trying to force genuinely too thick fabric through.

A domestic sewing machine has a finite capacity for handling very heavy cloth or multiple layers, an industrial machine is a completely different kettle of fish; stronger, more powerful and scarily fast (and yes, I have experience with both ).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• thenanny2die4
    • By thenanny2die4 4th Jan 19, 11:41 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 54,003 Thanks
    thenanny2die4
    Just finding my way back onto the forums after a long break - this looks like being my favourite OS topic...

Any ideas for lower waste toilet cleaner? I am down to my last bottle of my usual stuff.
    Originally posted by dragonlily
    I like to give our loo a good soak and scrub with citric acid and hot (not boiling) water. I buy the c.a. in wilko in a cardboard box.
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestle
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 5th Jan 19, 10:42 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    I recently read that citric acid is good for loo cleaning so I tried it on an extremely stubborn limescale stain - I had already failed to remove it with bleach, Viacal and other toilet cleaner. It took 2 goes but the stain has completely gone.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 5th Jan 19, 12:42 PM
    • 10,522 Posts
    • 14,797 Thanks
    -taff
    Good tip re where to buy citric acid, I was running out. I use it to descale the kettle as well as the toilets [hard water area]
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 5th Jan 19, 1:42 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    dragonlily
    I am back and am finally over (pretty much at least) this cold and have some energy!

Yesterday, my aunty came and I now understand the absolute basics of setting up my daughter's new sewing machine. It took awhile as the machine was quite different to hers. My daughter made a pin cushion out of left over felt and stuffing from a previous craft project, so had something to show for it.

I had another totally non zero waste time in the afternoon, as cleared out our utility room and produced lots of paper recycling and general detritus, plus another huge bag of donations. As before, I can't undo what we have already had but can change buying decisions going forward. Good point is that the sewing machine and associated items now have a proper home for when not in use. Also I didn't buy anything yesterday at all. OH brought a couple of bits of food in we needed, and a new light for our front door (which is desperately needed as it is impossible to see the lock in the dark).

This morning I have had a long lie in, and now have the house to myself as OH has just left with our daughter to take her to her sewing lesson. As I have now entered the land of the living again, I am going to see how much I can get done in the house in two and a half hours. I'm thinking meal plan, online shop for click and collect on Monday, and a sort out of the box room / dumping room.

Grey Queen thanks for the tips, I could do with you being my neighbour

the nanny, thanks re the citric acid tip. We have a wilkinsons quite nearby so I'll pick some up, and give it a go. How much citric acid do you dissolve in the hot water roughly, and how often do you use it?

Hope you are all having a lovely Saturday x
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 5th Jan 19, 2:15 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 40,382 Thanks
    Caterina
    I get citric acid online from www.baldwins.co.uk they are a treasure trove for all things herbal.

The other day I was about to descale the toilet with a couple spoonfuls citric acid, but had an accident with the bottom of the bag. All the 250g went in! Costly accident, bummer! But that toilet has never sparkled so much since it was bought!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 5th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    I used a kettle full of hot water and half a cup of citric acid. HTH.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 5th Jan 19, 3:31 PM
    • 10,522 Posts
    • 14,797 Thanks
    -taff
    a kettle full of water and two heaped teaspoons. If there's any left after the first boil, I boil it again.
    I chuck a few teaspoons down the toilet and leave it overnight then scrub with the brush.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jan 19, 5:59 PM
    • 12,665 Posts
    • 243,305 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    a kettle full of water and two heaped teaspoons. If there's any left after the first boil, I boil it again.
    I chuck a few teaspoons down the toilet and leave it overnight then scrub with the brush.
    Originally posted by -taff
    This is very interesting to me as I feel bad about using a toxic product to clean the loo but live in an extremely hard water area and limescale is a huge problem. Can I ask the CA users how frequently they use it to keep on top of limescale? Any tips would be greatfully received.

Just home from spending a couple of hours with my bezzie and the conversation ranged across various topics even zero waste. Pal is a beaver scout person and is working on crafty stuff with the littlies and is focussing her efforts on not creating landfill waste by crafting from plastics but ending up with a recyclable item, and working the recycling part of it into the craft. Good thinking, that woman.

I have also come away with several burned down candles which will be chiselled down into bits and melted to be reborn as new candles. That way avoids a lot of waste. The containers of two of them (a glass one and a pottery one) will also be cleaned up and returned to her. A bit less waste in the world cannot be a bad thing.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• wort
    • By wort 6th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 11,675 Thanks
    wort
    Great ideas. I have seen either on mse or pinterest, a link to make your own waxed fabric for sandwich use. They looked pretty simple, I will check again, though I must say using a make up bag was an idea too, as I get given these as presents then don't need them.
    I'm with grey queen on the market produce being dearer than supermarket, I certainly can't afford to buy them. Though if in sm I check that the loose is cheaper than packed and always refuse the bags.
    I have seen customers take the bags near the fruit, they grab a handful and take them home!!!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • wort
    • By wort 6th Jan 19, 10:01 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 11,675 Thanks
    wort
    Can anyone point me to somewhere that sells large bottles of white vinegar?
    The small bottles don't last long!!
    At a low price!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 6th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    • 4,053 Posts
    • 50,272 Thanks
    maryb
    Chinese supermarkets or Asian grocers usually have them
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 6th Jan 19, 3:55 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 38,476 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Makro do gallons of white vinegar very reasonably if you can get a friend with a card to get you in. I suspect Costco etc. would too.
    Angie

GC Oct 19 - 342.23/420
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 30 coupons left out of 66

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 6th Jan 19, 10:09 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    dragonlily
    Wort, I got two very cheaply from approved food in 5 litre containers last year and now onto no. 2 (I use quite a bit as in place of fabric softener). Though, they never have the same stock - I am wishing I got more now but at the time wasn't sure I'd manage the switch, but did.

You have had me watching tutorials on making beeswax wraps myself now! I actually have some beeswax pellets already as my daughter and I make home-made lip balm from coconut oil and beeswax (BTW that is well worth doing as is lovely!) so that is a Jan project to look at doing!

Grey queen

I have also come away with several burned down candles which will be chiselled down into bits and melted to be reborn as new candles. That way avoids a lot of waste. The containers of two of them (a glass one and a pottery one) will also be cleaned up and returned to her. A bit less waste in the world cannot be a bad thing.
    You are a waste busting ninja (ps - I have been reading the 'Productivity Ninja - so my favourite phrase is 'I'm a Ninja' as hoping if I repeat it enough I'll be one - so rest assured I mean that in a positive way lol).

Today has been lovely. Yesterday, I did the meal plan and the online food order as planned (2nd week in a row), and picked it up today. Currently spending less than we have in months and it is making me feel much more organised. I am back at work tomorrow though so hope it can last!

My dad and I took my daughter swimming, and then went and dropped off a full boot of charity donations. That was from my efforts in the dumping room yesterday. It has made it look somewhat worse though than when I started, which is crazy given how much was removed. At least it can be rehomed though (as opposed to landfill), and hopefully somebody will enjoy finding the item they wanted. There was very little rubbish apart from paper for the recycling, so that was a relief.

Two zero waste fails today. One was having a Subway for lunch, the Subway was very nice but as I was paying my dad went and got the drinks, and before I knew it there were three drinks complete with plastic tops and straws. I was going to just have mine in the paper cup with no straw or lid. The sandwich comes in paper anyway. I also realised they have no separate bin for recycling so I bet the whole lot goes into landfill.........

The second was the items I ordered 'loose' ie sweet potatoes, bananas had been 'substituted' for packaged ones *sighs*. Whilst we go to sewing club weekly, I am going to take some bags / containers and try out the town market, and see who will give me stuff packaging free!

Hope you all have a lovely week! x
    • -taff
    • By -taff 6th Jan 19, 11:30 PM
    • 10,522 Posts
    • 14,797 Thanks
    -taff
    This is very interesting to me as I feel bad about using a toxic product to clean the loo but live in an extremely hard water area and limescale is a huge problem. Can I ask the CA users how frequently they use it to keep on top of limescale? Any tips would be greatfully received.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen

We have two toilets and we usually use one each. The OHs is usually dirtier than mine, not because of use but just because it's much older and stuff seems to build up quicker in there. He puts bleach in his, then when I notice that it looks off colour, I chuck the CA down it.
    The other one doesn't tend to be as bad, so again, when it looks off colour.

If you didn't want to use anything toxic and are happy with a little of elbow grease, pumice stones will clean the limescale off and not scrath the porcelain. You just have to get over the idea of arms down the toilet. Do a youtube search and be amazed
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • 4,965 Posts
    • 39,842 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Can anyone point me to somewhere that sells large bottles of white vinegar?
    The small bottles don't last long!!
    At a low price!
    Originally posted by wort
    Our local independent green grocer sells the 5 litre containers of malt / white vinegar- only spotted them in window display in the last ten days.
    Just lately have bought small bottles from Aldi. (oops-plastic bottles- naughty)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• Knittingcathy75
    • By Knittingcathy75 8th Jan 19, 5:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Knittingcathy75
    I am going to try to cut down on waste a bit at a time, usually try to do everything at once and when it all gets too much give up as I feel like a failure. I have 4 kids so probably won't be able to get rid of plastic completely but reusing thing or multi use plastic will dramatically cut down on the amount of waste. Have started with packed lunches am looking into making reusable fabric sandwich bags. would love to get them metal lunch boxes but they loose them a bit too often for that to be affordable. Wouldn't be the first time that the kids have opened their boxes to find a their sandwiches wrapped in random packaging i.e the packet from the pasta.
    • ruxpin
    • By ruxpin 8th Jan 19, 10:15 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 4,437 Thanks
    ruxpin
    Hi everyone, just come across this thread when searching to see if there are any other eBay sellers on the forum who use all re-used packaging (as I do) because as my ebay business is now full time I think I need a quirky way of explaining this to my customers in case they get upset at receiving their item in a repurposed box! (someone was once annoyed I used a paper bag from a pharmacy prescription, my daughter has severe eczema so we get a lot of bags and it seems a shame to bin them)

Any ideas on this would be very welcome xx

Also I noticed in Tesco yesterday that you can now take your own containers for anything at the fresh food counters! I thought this was excellent way to cut down on plastic waste which is something I too am passionate about
    • wort
    • By wort 8th Jan 19, 10:44 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 11,675 Thanks
    wort
    Thanks for your replies re the vinegar. Unfortunately we don't have Asian supermarkets or even independent grocery stores. So I'll check if anyone has a costco card. And keeping checking approved foods.
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 13th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    dragonlily
    Morning everybody, this week has flow by (as have been back at work) and I can't quite believe it is Sunday already!

Ruxpin, I think you might have got unlucky around the person complaining as I think most people don't mind as long as their item is packed well. I have always included a line that I recycle packaging material on the listing, as standard thinking if anybody said anything I could refer them back to that.

I didn't get to try the market this week, as went out to meet friends for the afternoon, but that is on my list for next week.

Knittingcat, let me know how you go on with sandwich bags. I am all set now for making Beeswax wraps, I have the beeswax, the fabric etc so am hoping it will be a fun activity for my daughter and I to do together

Although for school, my daughter has a black (plastic!) hello kitty sandwich box, that is just bigger than the sandwich, that goes inside her lunch bag. She has it now for about three years, and it must have saved so many one use bags. I think plastic can be good for that, if being repeatedly used, as is hard wearing.

Hope you are have a lovely and restful Sunday x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

2,090Users online

Martin's Twitter