Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,316Posts
    • 13,855Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 6
  • archived user
    Anyone remember the fudge recipe from a while ago ? It had condensed milk , 500g chocolate , knob of butter and flavorings BUT was there anything else ?
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 31st Jan 19, 4:19 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 53,536 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Anyone remember the fudge recipe from a while ago ? It had condensed milk , 500g chocolate , knob of butter and flavorings BUT was there anything else ?
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG
    Caster sugar?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• archived user
    Caster sugar?
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I don’t think it had extra sugar in as we are both diabetic so wouldn’t have made it . Ive made it with the ingredients I remember it will either work or I will have two new door stops !
    Last edited by CHRISSYG; 01-02-2019 at 2:54 PM.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 31st Jan 19, 6:31 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 13,855 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Is it this one for no cook fudge? http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/641035
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
    • lazysheep
    • By lazysheep 1st Feb 19, 2:14 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    lazysheep
    There's this one too - Chocolate fudge recipe
  • archived user
    Close but I know there was no icing sugar .
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 1st Feb 19, 5:55 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 53,536 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Anything like this one?

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6459/one-bowl-chocolate-fudge.aspx
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 1st Feb 19, 5:59 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 53,536 Thanks
    kerri gt
    There's also this from the Diabetic Gourmet https://diabeticgourmet.com/diabetic-recipes/walnut-fudge
    JAN NSD 11/16

• archived user
    Not that one either Iím afraid , although I havenít tasted it yet I made it with the ingredients I remembered .
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 2nd Feb 19, 10:27 AM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 53,536 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Not that one either Iím afraid , although I havenít tasted it yet I made it with the ingredients I remembered .
    Do let us know how it tastes...and if it's good, share your recipe with us
    JAN NSD 11/16

• nic2075
    • By nic2075 2nd Feb 19, 5:05 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 17,989 Thanks
    nic2075
    Evening.
    I wrote a huge post yesterday and it said it posted, but it didnít. I seem to have issues quite a lot with posting.
    I really canít be bothered re writing it all again. I was mostly moaning anyway

Well done on being so organised Freespirit. I wonít be able to put anything by for Christmas until August at least. I need to save everything for our holiday to France.

Having some emotional issues with my eldest DD (13). She had her first boyfriend last year. He dumped her in November. Since then he has been picking on her and calling her names. It mainly about how she looks. But now others are joining in, and saying stuff everytime she walks past. She is a stunning looking girl, so I donít know where this is coming from. But she is so insecure as it is. Not sure where it goes from a bad break up and picking on someone to bullying. She has asked me not to say anything to the school for now. She hopes she wonít be in his classes in June. Itís just so hard to see her so sad after school. Thankfully she still has her dancing, it seems to be an escape for her.
    • lazysheep
    • By lazysheep 2nd Feb 19, 5:55 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    lazysheep
    Is it this one that you posted a couple of years ago? easy fudge
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 2nd Feb 19, 6:11 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 53,536 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Sorry to hear your eldest DD is having a horrible time nic2075 it's such a hard age to be. You're doing all you can by reassuring her, and focused on enjoying her dance. All you can say is that he is obviously insecure in himself and name calling is a bad way of expressing this because he feels she is somehow 'better' than him. Perhaps he regrets dumping her now but doesn't know how to say so.
    In short...he's an idiot.

Haven't been on this thread much since Xmas, unfortunately due to family illness Xmas 2018 did not go as planned, Xmas eve was spent booking flights, Xmas day was somewhat reserved and the three days after (including Boxing Day) was spent at airports or hospital. So the nice relaxing time OH especially was in desperate need of didn't happen. Still, on the upside, it was the most relaxed I've ever been cooking Xmas dinner as there was too much other stuff going on. Had the turkey not already been defrosting I think we'd have postponed Xmas dinner. Still, it was tasty.

So, we're not sure what we're doing this year but we might well go away somewhere. Bit too early to decide that but we'll see.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 3rd Feb 19, 8:38 AM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 5,808 Thanks
    whitesatin
    Haven't been on here for a while but just saying hello. Christmas went well enough despite me dreading it because of not seeing all of my grandsons due to their parents splitting up and an unexpected operation to remove my gallbladder. I coped with the guests that I did have. This year we just bought for the children (there or not there), which worked well, with the promise to indulge ourselves with a nice weekend away when the weather gets better.
    I save £50 per month towards Christmas but often found myself dipping into it but I've just discovered I can buy premium bonds online, in multiples of £25 so I'm doing that this year. I know there's only a slim chance of a win but at least I can't get my hands on it easily, lol.
    I can't believe we are already quite a few weeks into this year - Christmas will be upon us before we know it!!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 3rd Feb 19, 9:00 AM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 28,613 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    £260 in the christmas account and £75 in our local shopping centre saving scheme (the latter is more for me but no doubt there will be some presents I pick up with it)

Also have just spent a fair chunk on ordering a new sofa and two footstools (which will be used as extra seating when people visit) - it is only the second big expense we have forked out since we moved in together in 2014 as we mostly managed to furnish courtesy of friends and family for little so don't feel bad about the spend.

Hope everyone is ok. Am fed up of the cold and ice - some of our pavements are still lethal. Hopefully spring will soon be here. Did notice the other day our daffodils are starting to come up so hope the cold hasnt ruined them
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 3rd Feb 19, 11:00 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 13,520 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Another week flies past, blink, missed it!! Boots sale Friday, drum roll please.....l did NOT go. (applause, standing ovation and scattering of flowers!!) The old hands on here will understand how amazing this is, but l gave myself a stern talking to, and accepted that times change and the majority of those l bought goodies for now have children, and partners and its time to stop toiletries and move to family friendly for adults and presents for the littlies.
    I still have about 3 years worth of toiletries in the presents cupboards, so no one will go short.
    Got some lovely pjs for DGN and Ns, for this year, and dressing gowns for the 3 stepgrandnibs, so not doing so badly. Christmas savings are going well, and over £100 in shrapnel.
    Nic 205 so awful for your DD, you are right to encourage her dancing, hope things improve soon for her.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 3rd Feb 19, 4:58 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 17,482 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Yay, well done MRSINVIS, great self control.

NIC Iím so sorry to hear what a rotten time your DD is having but it sounds like youíre taking a sensible approach. I think these things are often motivated by jealousy and I hope she can ride it out. When you grow up you think youíve left all the anguish of teenage life behind and then you go through it all again with your children.

I too have started putting away for next Christmas but I have one fund for Christmas and birthday presents and Christmas expenses in general. I did it this year and it worked well so my plan is to repeat the success.

Iím wondering if we should maybe do what MRSINVIS is doing and just buy Christmas presents for the children, although Iím not sure where the cut off point would be, 18 or 21. If we do it as under 21 there will still be 9 grandchildren with one more due in July. I think I might sound the family out. We could maybe do a secret Santa for the adults that are going to be together at Christmas.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 3rd Feb 19, 5:43 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 53,536 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Peppa we stop 'kids' at 18. OH is from a large family so there's a lot of DN's. We thought 18 was fair as by then they are a) legally adults b) all at different stages doing different things, some are still studying, or looking at uni, some are off doing apprenticeships and others are working full time. They get a larger than usual £ for their 18th birthday then that's it.
    My aunts / uncles did the same, although as adults I now but for one aunt / uncle but that's out of choice.

That still leaves us 5 under 18s this year DN-wise, plus I buy for a couple of friends children, so that takes it up to 9. If we still bought for the doled ones we'd be looking at another 6 on top of that
    JAN NSD 11/16

• StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 4th Feb 19, 10:57 AM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 28,613 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Popped into our boots today as I was passing and there was lots of xmas stock this time last week...can tell everyone was waiting for the 70% sale as today what was a full corner of stock is very much depleted - nothing I wanted though.
    • SSUPER
    • By SSUPER 5th Feb 19, 6:44 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    SSUPER
    Hello. Just to say reading this has got me all motivated for Christmastime. I put £35 on an Asda card and if I get it to £280 by November they will give me £15. So thanks for this thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,835Users online

Martin's Twitter