Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,320Posts
    • 13,932Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 5
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 12th Jan 19, 7:53 AM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 28,882 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Gettingtherequickly - great result with the ppi. Always worth the cost of a stamp for anyone who thinks they had it mis sold. No idea why so many people are happy to use companies that take a big cut.

Not much happening here on the Christmas front. Trying to not spend so much money

Have signed up for the local shopping centre gift club though. Can just pay in when I want and then request a gift card for the centre when I want the cash back. This is in addition to the savings I put away each month for Christmas . Will probably top it up using the bits of interest I get off my bank accounts/savings or if ERNIE ever picks my premium bonds
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 12th Jan 19, 8:59 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 13,607 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Mrs Giggleswick, how lovely to have you back. Hope 2019 will be a great year for you. Have been reading but not posting, but now the grandnibs are back in China, and l have had 1 or2trips to the sales there will be bargains to be had. Got lovely wrapping paper from Wilk* and gift tags, some lovely bits from Superdr@g well less than half price. Also got some new shiny baubles and decorations for next year. I have ordered a Christmas tree in the Marks and spensive sale too. Waiting for the Boots 70% off sale, (have heard it will be this coming Friday) then if it goes to plan l will be sorted except for the nibs.
    Now l am going to boast a little. DGS as you all know is not at all academic, so when he got a distinction for work on his Animal care exam , l have to share it with you. Boast over, now time for bed.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Jan 19, 10:07 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 17,747 Thanks
    Peppapig
    MRSINVIS well done to DGS, you boast all you like
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • Mischiefmanaged
    • By Mischiefmanaged 13th Jan 19, 10:10 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Mischiefmanaged
    Hi All

Bought a few more bits and pieces in the last week. Crackers from Sainsbury's and a few bits a piece for stockings. Resisted the urge to buy too much stuff for both dd's. It's just so easy to buy for my girls.

Encouraged my mum to get going early. So far she's bought daughter in law, 2 son in laws and 5 granddaughters. I took her in Argento and the had lovely necklaces reduced from over £20 to £5. There really nice and there's some nice stuff online.

Got a few birthdays coming that I've just about sorted so everythings coming along nicely x
    • msgigglewick
    • By msgigglewick 17th Jan 19, 4:06 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 11,806 Thanks
    msgigglewick
    yay mrs invis .. .any moons ago i did a animal management course before starting vet training (didn't complete due to severe allergies to cats developed, not ideal huh lol) anyway fabulous news! hope he goes far!

My dd3 got her english resits results today... shes passed... phew lol apparently only 31% of those who resat their exams passed today.. how low is that! not sure the new style gcse's are fair with those pass scores.

Waiting on the boots sale and was sure it was going to be tomorrow but looks like its def not happening tomorrow now. hope its not next wednesday or i can't go.

nothing else much happening here atm.

and ty for the welcome back!
    Totally debt free wohooo 2014
    Christmas 2014
    Presents bought **** rrp **** Saved ****

*SAVE*SAVE*SAVE*
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 18th Jan 19, 6:15 AM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 13,607 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Well done Giggles daughter. I don't think the new gcses are a fair reflection either.
    l was waiting for the boots sale too. Felt hopeful yesterday when l passed the store, all the 50% signage was removed, but so far nothing on line.
    l don't really need much, but however hard l try, l cant resist going. (bit like DDIL who goes to the next sale every boxing day queueing from 4.30am) as much a part of Christmas as a trip to the pantomime. Bought a new Christmas tree in M&S sale, £5 for DD as hers has bitten the dust, and one for me too for the kids to decorate.
    Other than that l haven't bought much at all in the sales.
    Busy looking through the seed catalogues to see what l will grow this year. Thinking about plug plants too for the ones that are poor germinators or expensive seeds, it may be more economical.
    DD is getting her stairlift hooray. Wont be till the new financial year, but we can wait that long. Happy Christmas thoughts, all, need coffee.xx
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 18th Jan 19, 5:56 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 13,932 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Happy birthday to Newthrift! Hope that you had a wonderful day.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 18th Jan 19, 11:58 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 18,115 Thanks
    nic2075
    I was in boots on Thursday. They were moving stuff about, but just condensing I think. I have my eye on a few things, so I’ll keep an eye out next week.

Anyone doing Veganuary? I didn’t manage. But I’ve continued on with our meat free Monday, baked potato Wednesday and meal planning. I’m proud I’ve stuck to it this far into Jan, and enjoying it. I’ve spent so much less a week on shopping, and zero waste. Trying to have more meat free days. Healthy choices including lentils and chick peas etc. So far so good.

My Christmas bargain, was some warm white led lights from Tesco. £7.50 down to £1.50. They will go on my tree at the door next year. This year a bulb went in my traditional lights. I couldn’t find a replacement bulb. So I used my led cherry blossom tree. Which I hated, as I use it all year round. So it wasn’t Christmassy enough.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 18th Jan 19, 11:59 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 18,115 Thanks
    nic2075
    Happy birthday newthrift, x
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 19th Jan 19, 12:27 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 13,607 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    happy birthday Newthrift. Giving today to the queen, as CBA to do anything productive. (l can feel my gran's beady eye on me, reproachful).Had DS" up earlier, he has another perforated eardrum, at least when it perforates, the pain goes.
    DN started her maternity leave yesterday, so in future on Wednesdays l will have DGN and DN visiting. Looking forward to that, and the arrival of baby2 too.
    Ok gran, you win, l will do some knitting.
    • teabody
    • By teabody 19th Jan 19, 5:44 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    teabody
    Hi,
    So i have started by setting up a standing order in order to build some savings which hopefully can be used towards xmas 2019 but I am also looking for homemade ideas that I can be starting now. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. I am keen to start knitting or something similar that may also benefit myself in terms of hobby and enjoyment so would love to know where to start. I have seen some large knit blankets online recently and think these would be a lovely gift...any ideas where to get 'large' wool yarn please?
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 22nd Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 17,747 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome TEABODY, itís really quiet on here at the moment but I know weíve got a couple of experienced knitters on here so hopefully theyíll be able to help.

Nothing even remotely linked to Christmas going on here. A couple of birthdays this month and the major sell off of all my dolls house stuff over the past couple of weeks have taken up all my available energy. I do have a lot less clutter now though and a bit more money so itís not been all give and no take. At the end of the month DD1 and I are going to visit honorary DD for our Christmas get together that should have happened in December so there is a little bit of Christmas still to come.

Hope everyone is ok. Snowing here this evening but the ground is pretty wet so hope it doesnít freeze overnight.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 23rd Jan 19, 8:20 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 18,115 Thanks
    nic2075
    Welcome Teabody. Sorry I have no clue about knitting.

It’s cold here too Peppa. We were at -8 last night! Pretty chilly getting the kids to school. it made for a nice day though.

I picked up a few bits for the kids stockings next year. I don’t usually buy too much this early. The kids change their minds too much, but I got things I know they would like.
  • archived user
    Good morning ,
    Apparently B and M are having a massive toy sale every thing around £3 , i have my nieces baby's Christmas gift sorted .

My local cancer charity shop were selling off their Christmas cards so bought a couple of packs .It would be rude not to !

Dd's accident in Mombasa was a year ago today , its been a long road for her but hopefully only one more xray to go .

She has to be Gluten free now anyone know of a bread that's not as hard as rock ? some of this stuff you could build houses with its that dense .
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 27th Jan 19, 3:12 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 9,446 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Chrissy, we make cloud bread. DS even occasionally makes it into burger bun shapes. Other than that, making your own using almond/coconut flour mix
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 27th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Hello everyone. I have been following along but don't think I've posted in this thread yet??

Got back today from a weekend trip away to York for my birthday treat. We went to the German Christmas shop. It was amazing! Well worth a look if you're in the city. I bought some cute silver plated brass ornaments. Very pretty. Plus went through the Shambles which had at least three different Harry Potter shops. We also had dinner at an italian inside the old Grand Assembly Rooms - very posh surroundings but with a casual italian chain restaurant! The food was lovely too.

No movement on getting builders in yet still. You get used to a wonky floor after a while.

Hope everyone is well.
    ďIn 900 years of time and space, Iíve never met anyone who wasnít importantĒ
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 28th Jan 19, 7:30 AM
    • 5,189 Posts
    • 51,274 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Picked up a couple of bits for parents for this Christmas in sales, Mrs Brown's Boys gift set and card, £2.00 from B&M and 2 audio books from a Charity Shop for my dad for £1.20.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 209 AFDs up to end of September
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £775/£1809
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 28th Jan 19, 5:41 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 13,932 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Happy birthday Clumsy42! Hope that you had a lovely day.

SPC No 043
    • pixielottie
    • By pixielottie 28th Jan 19, 6:37 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    pixielottie
    Happy Birthday Clumsy42

Hi,
    So i have started by setting up a standing order in order to build some savings which hopefully can be used towards xmas 2019 but I am also looking for homemade ideas that I can be starting now. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. I am keen to start knitting or something similar that may also benefit myself in terms of hobby and enjoyment so would love to know where to start. I have seen some large knit blankets online recently and think these would be a lovely gift...any ideas where to get 'large' wool yarn please?
    Originally posted by teabody
    I don't know to any purse friendly suppliers for the large wool, but I have been drooling over quite a bit on Etsy...

I didn't make any home made gifts last year, I did make a large batch of Damson Gin though which went to some of the awkward to buy for people

GTQ
    Squeak came out in chicken pox last night so we're bracing ourselves now. The only problem with him getting it is we read the other day that as he is under 2 he may not build immunity to it.
    Originally posted by princesskitty29
    Hope your chicken pox free now! I shouldn't worry about it too much even over 2 you can fail to build up immunity, they don't tell you that on the box do they... I've had them 3 times >.< fingers crossed I might be immune now, or just old enough to not encounter people with them haha.

Not much Christmassy going on here, except the Christmas candle, that is burnt all year round I finished my tax return so I'm returning to Marie Kondo'ing the place.

anything's possible if you've got enough nerve

(Decluttering - 185/2019 //£'s saved - £32.41 /2019 // Lbs lost - 42/102 )
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 30th Jan 19, 11:52 AM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 36,168 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Hi Everyone
    I donít understand how I keep forgetting to come on here, it just goes out of my head and RL takes over. Hope you are all well. I have Christmas sorted for both my DDs I got some lovely Yankee Candles and Jar holders for them. Plus I have £160 saved so far towards Christmas. I had a lovely day out on Sunday at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth, wow it certainly blew the cobwebs away it was bitterly cold and so windy. We had a nice lunch, it was just good to get out. Thumper had his eyes tested the other day and he is shortsighted so Dd2 is getting glasses sorted for him. She is also getting support from the Tops?? People for his Autism, I canít fault the hospital/authorities for how quickly they have gone about it. The tumble dryer has just finished so I better get back to housework, hopefully speak soon x
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,198Posts Today

6,869Users online

Martin's Twitter