Asda Price Guarantee to be scrapped - MSE News

Comments

• TOP_CAT
    TOP_CAT Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Was anyone with the old asda price guareantee forum on facebook ?
    I think it was passed onto someone from Stephen auker but may have been a closed group ?
    As I dont do facebook I dont know the score but always wanted to joinin and at least read up on it .
    Now its a bit late
  • With the Sainsburys/Asda 'merger' not far over the horizon, I wonder if Sainsburys have said "Thou shalt not have a price guarantee". I have read that Walmart will still retain a 43% share, so that would presumably give Sainsburys a 57% controlling vote over policy.
  • kevpc
    kevpc Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't know about anyone else but Asda are becoming a much less useful supermarket. This started a little while ago when it started charging customers who ordered things not just for delivery but if you went into the shop itself and collected them! The excuse used to me was that 'we still had to put it on a lorry and deliver it to the store'. The fact that the lorry had to come to the store anyway and my item was only on the lorry because there was room, was ignored! Could it have been the start of making Asda look a better buy by the other supermarket? Maybe. But it ain't helped customers!
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    alanq wrote: »
    I tried posting here, emailing the team as required and PMing MSE Callum at the weekend yet this week's newsletter has gone out linking to the uncorrected information. Poor show MSE.

I have just received a reply from MSE. Despite all the evidence to the contrary on ASDA's web site, ASDA has confirmed to MSE that its report that "the scheme, which has run since 2010, will continue as normal until 3 October - you won't be able to redeem vouchers after then." is correct.

The confusion continues.
  • The APG always struck me as a great example of psychological manipulation. Asda's customers would regularly pay over the odds with cold hard cash, then get it back in the form of a voucher that cost more money to print and could only be spent in Asda within a limited window.

And somehow we were conditioned to be happy when we "won" our own money back in a restricted form! :)

I'll be sad to see it go. I never wombled, but Asda was the supermarket we used most so the APG became part of the shopping routine.
  • I think the real answer is that they were losing too much on it. I keep getting a lot back every week. I doubt we will see a drop in the prices though and IFF they do it will be difficult, compared to now, to see the difference. Can't help feeling it's another con creeping in.
  • TOP_CAT
    TOP_CAT Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September 2018 at 2:05PM
    Asda doesnt look like its on its knees to me from over charging in relation to Tesco Morrisons Waitrose sainsburys .
    The APG,s are a 10% refund of the price difference.via APG vouchers as asda claims to be the cheapest supermarket in its advertising ...except its only cheaper if you print and redeem a voucher at a later date using it within a timeframe .

Thats if anyone knows about it and is bothered going to all the trouble of obtaining a refund apg voucher then using them with the often grumpy staff .

The staff and often managers dont understand this overcharging refund .policy.This is asda buying the cheapest supermarket advertising on one basket or shop out of all the big supermarkets .

Staff sometimes make up terms on conditions as they go along depending if they feel like doing so too suit themselves and even end up going off on one trying to give customers a bit of a interrogation guilt trip asking loaded questions
    I just experienced this what a farce and it wasnt the first time sometimes its minor other times they refuse or say I will honour one or two apg,s or even call security who have less of a clue .

The Infamous Grouse above has it 100% right its amazing how many people Asda fools with marketing lies yet convince customers like mice running on a treadmill .....going nowhere .

Manipulation can go both ways its a two way street , this may depend if you are bothered or not to manipulate the apg system .
    .As doing so is a very time consuming effort just as they planned it would be .
    Sometimes using Apg,s is straight forward other times asda put hurdles in your path either personal or otherwise
  • Asda's APG price checker is still not working for me today (or yesterday), it tells me "You don't have 8 different items" when I have at least 13 on the receipt. Is it working for anyone else? Or have they stopped it before the 3rd Oct deadline?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Asda's APG price checker is still not working for me today (or yesterday), it tells me "You don't have 8 different items" when I have at least 13 on the receipt. Is it working for anyone else? Or have they stopped it before the 3rd Oct deadline?

It normally means that the 5 other items cant be compared as the other supermarkets don't have an equivalent.

Some of the things they don/t compare are a bit odd but I have had quite a few Asda own brand things say that they cant be compared even though the other supermarkets do the equivalent.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • "You don't have 8 different items, including 1 comparable item in your basket"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure