IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Court Claim - Letter attached - Urgent

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    AOS posted.
    Not Royal Mail? You mean online on MCOL, as per the NEWBIES thread walk through?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Wait, you POSTED it?
    WHY!?!?!!

You were poointed to where to find out how to do this,. and NOONE said to use a paper form!
    DO IT ONLINE.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Link still does not work, even with https:// in front.
  • Sorry, meant MCOL online. Now finalising defence.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2018 at 1:06PM
    Once again...
    KeithP wrote: »
    Burnhill, what is the Date of Issue on your Claim Form?

Rather than waiting for an answer to that question (it might take another two weeks), I'm going to assume that the Claim Date of Issue is 13th, 14th or 15th August - that seems to be the hint given in the opening post.

With a Claim Issue Date of 13th, 14th or 15th August, and having done the AoS in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 17th September 2018 to file your Defence.

You need to 'finalise your Defence' with some urgency.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as described here:

1) Print your Defence.
    2) Sign it and date it.
    3) Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4) Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5) Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6) Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    7) Wait for the Directions Questionnaire and come back here.
  • Burnhill
    Burnhill Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2018 at 1:40PM
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for the low-down, really helpful.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to log into my MCOL claim to submit evidence, having tried everything, including password resets etc. (and password reset form acknowledges as my MCOL customer number registered to my email). As their 'help desk' is closed during the weekend, I have to contact them to transfer my claim to a new account..

My issue date was 14th August 2018. With 5 added for service dates, 14 days to acknowledge, further 14 from aos = 33 days, that puts my deadline to submit defence as 16/09 (Tomorrow).

It seems I might be missing my deadline. I will submit the defence via email anyhow as you pointed out.
  • KeithP
    edited 15 September 2018 at 1:47PM
    Burnhill wrote: »
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for the low-down, really helpful.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to log into my MCOL claim to submit evidence, having tried everything, including password resets etc. (and password reset form acknowledges as my MCOL customer number registered to my email). As their 'help desk' is closed during the weekend, I have to contact them to transfer my claim to a new account..

My issue date was 14th August 2018. With 5 added for service dates, 14 days to acknowledge, further 14 from aos = 33 days, that puts my deadline to submit defence as 16/09 (Tomorrow).

It seems I'll be missing my deadline.
    Why do you need to login to MCOL?
    Answer: You don't.

Submission of evidence comes later. No urgency on that point.

19th August is the date of service, being five days after the date of issue, and you have 28 days from then to file your Defence - which is Sunday 16th September.

If the calculated date falls on a non-working day then you are allowed until 4pm on the next working day to file your Defence.

That's why I said:
    ...you have until 4pm on Monday 17th September 2018 to file your Defence.

But no need to take my word for it, read it yourself in the Money Claim Online (MCOL) - User Guide.

On page 14 of that document it says:
    How long does the defendant have to respond to my claim?

The court will send out a claim pack to each defendant once the claim has been issued and allows 5 calendar days from the date of issue for the service of the claim. Therefore the 'date of service' is the 5th calendar day after issue. Please note, if you have served separate particulars of claim then this may affect the deemed date of service (as above).

The defendant has 14 calendar days from the 'date of service' to file a response. If the last day for filing the response falls on a day that the court is not open (i.e. a weekend or public holiday), the court will allow the next full working day for a response. The defendant can extend the time to respond to 28 calendar days by filing an acknowledgement of service (AOS).
  • Excellent, thank you.
  • I've got a couple of questions. If the defendant was not the one driving, how can their defence statement include any evidence to do with the signs etc? Similarly, how can they give eyewitness statement, if they were not there? In our case we have not identified to UKCPM who was the driver.

Surely the judge will ask the defendant if they were driving. Do they then have to identify the driver? Will this then open the driver to legal action?
  • KeithP
    If the defendant was not the one driving, how can their defence statement include any evidence to do with the signs etc?
    By careful wording.

E.g. "The driver has informed the Defendant that..."

Similarly, how can they give eyewitness statement, if they were not there?
    They can't of course. They can however visit the site after the event and give an account of that visit.

E.g. "As a result of this allegation the Defendant visited the car park to see the signs for himself".

Surely the judge will ask the defendant if they were driving. Do they then have to identify the driver?
    It is not a certainty that the judge will ask that question.
    There is no obligation for the Defendant to identify the driver.

Will this then open the driver to legal action?
    If you mean criminal action, then the answer is no.

If the Keeper wins the case, but during the case the driver is identified, then the Claimant can start a new case against the driver if they wish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure