Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Comments

• brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Lou
    Seems a waste of money? The pricey bit is the first few years when the depreciation is massive. Think we are best keeping the car, paying the cost (around £11k) and then maybe exchanging it for a newer one in a couple of years. Were looking at hybrids but recharging is an issue round here. OH was also suggesting we refinance? Am reluctant to do that is we can do some 0% shimmies.. but who knows. Will have to ponder.

Hope everyone is good, thanks for stopping by x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,178 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hi Lou
    Seems a waste of money? The pricey bit is the first few years when the depreciation is massive. Think we are best keeping the car, paying the cost (around £11k) and then maybe exchanging it for a newer one in a couple of years. Were looking at hybrids but recharging is an issue round here. OH was also suggesting we refinance? Am reluctant to do that is we can do some 0% shimmies.. but who knows. Will have to ponder.

Hope everyone is good, thanks for stopping by x

Fair point.
    Most poeole I know seem to re lease as they cant afford the balloon payment.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    We've just paid the balloon payment on OH's car last month (was due Oct/ Nov, but cleared last few months of lease payments and then the final bit in one go last month, saving £170+ on interest (better than nothing) My view is that the car is worth more than the balloon payment cost, so it made sense to - and means we are finance free going fwd
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • brizzlegirl
    Hi there - balloon payment is around the same as the trade in value But reckon we can scramble together the balloon payment via % offers on a couple of cards. Two came through just yesterday so I will have a look at what we can do and maybe raid another EF. I will not touch the S&S ISA tho as that is sacrosanct.

Just been out for DD1s celebration. She is a cheap date!! £80 for 4 including a generous tip and drinks for me and OH. Off to the cinema early doors tomorrow.

Hope everyone gets some time off this weekend. Will try and sort scores on doors soon.. x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,178 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Look forward to the scores on the doors.

Have a lovely weekend :) xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Glad to hear the eating and exercise is paying off. I always find that when I am eating really sensibly all sorts of things like heartburn and a blocked nose plus cough disappear miraculously!

Kids turning 18 is always expensive! DD's celebration meal didn't sound too bad at all though.

And well done you for altering your jacket yourself which was a simple job. Most people don't seem to bother these days - just take their clothes to the tailors or buy new things! (Most youngsters seem to be guilty of the last as quite a few don't appear to be able to sew!).

Have a brill weekend brizzle.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 6 May 2018 at 10:45AM
    Hello all :wave:

So.. have just spent about an hour on the spreadsheets and YNAB, sorting out what happened in April and also trying to get the money together for the car final payment.

Might as well get it out into the open, it isn't very good. We have been knocked sideways by vehicle repairs , big household spends, less income in the month etc, but also lets be honest we also did things like have an easter holiday, I bought some clothes and the list of spends on clubs and lessons just goes on and on and on.

So our savings rate was 13%. Pretty carp. Must do better. We did put money into S&S ISA and our pensions, but not as much as we should and our EF has been ravaged by the holiday spend which I sorted in early May. So I have about £330 in emergency and R&M funds and £1k in the tax fund. Very disappointingly the OD seems to be creeping up again...which is pretty shocking. So thats a priority to get back very much in the black.

On the plus side I have put the money aside for the car so in a month or so we will have 1) paid off the last holiday CC and 2) have sufficient funds at 0% from two CCs to pay for the car outright. Its not great, but at least there will be a sizeable reduction in our required outgoings - although as we have decided to switch the payments onto the CCs we borrowed the money from it won't be an obvious difference. We will keep two CCs for the loyalty points and pay them off each month in full.

Decluttering totals were woeful but until the glorious weather the AFDs and exercise totals were not bad.
    Not drinking alcohol during the week is getting easier, partly as I am so tired at the moment and as the two don't mix with me, its been a cup of tea rather than a glass of wine most evenings. (I so know how to live :rotfl:)

Have updated my spreadsheet, signature and YNAB and here's hoping for a really good May. And June and July. Need to be firmly on track, especially as our highly profitable lodger is moving on in a few weeks.

Hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy the weather, thanks for reading and supporting and generally popping by x
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    It sounds like you know what you need to do. I just struggle with putting it into practice! My youngest DD is 18 today.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 6 May 2018 at 11:19AM
    List of jobs for today:

- [STRIKE]order contact lens supplies from a cheap site that I originally found on here[/STRIKE] Done
    - start filing the mountains of paper in the study..they are towering heaps which makes no one feel great :/
    - put all the appliances on to make good use of the sunshine and free electricity boost - washing machine and DW about to go on
    - finish off some gardening
    - s[STRIKE]hift payable amount of £11 odd from TCB to my bank account [/STRIKE] Done
    - relax with friends and family and get the MSE mojo back

x
  • brizzlegirl
    Thanks L...wow we both have Spring babies...(well not babies anymore, clearly :rotfl:)

She is just peeling herself out of bed to go and revise. Her friends stayed over and then all headed out at 10 for work and/or revision. Pretty committed bunch really, although the paid work is a necessity for most :( which makes me sad. DD1 gave up her job last week as she goes into the final month and of course her earnings never kept the household afloat so hardly the same stress.

Need to get stronger on trimming our costs. Just showed DD1 the YNAB reports of what we get through most months and she was shocked....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback