Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 16,738Posts
    • 143,403Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 9:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 79
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 18th Apr 19, 8:40 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Get your family involved, put up a board or a piece of paper and ask them to contribute ideas of what they'd like to eat, and add in one or two week.
    Keep a few staple meals every week so you're not having to think of something new for every day. Try and plan a meal that will have leftovers for you to experiment with the next day.
    Originally posted by -taff
    Hi Taff,

Thanks for the tips I tend to rely on pasta as a staple meal - usually with leftovers for lunch - will have to get my thinking cap on. Well chilli will be the other one - going to attempt it this weekend.

Just so I understand - I cook the ingredients for a chilli fresh - let it go cold and then freeze. When needed, defrost the night before and heat up - or do you cook it from frozen - this is the bit I'm confused with
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 18th Apr 19, 8:44 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    I agree 100% chinese takeaway boxes are brilliant, I have a stash from my eldest `~dd as they eat takeaways (I don't as I don't like chinese food, plus I prefer to make my own food and rarely if ever eat a takeaway)

I keep a couple that have had tomato based or baked bean based things in that have got slightly stained just for using with tomato based stuff In fact I have half a tin of baked beans in the fridge in one at the moment . Soup bags you can buy and reuse time and again as they wash out very well and with soup in can be wriggled about into those odd corners of the freezer. The foil containers I can never seem to get as clean as I would like and worry about food debris being stuck in the corners I have also a stash of small brown earthenware type dishes that I have bought over the years from boot sales etc and use them for making individual cottage pies for the freezer which can go straight from the freezer-oven/microwave -table I like to make meat pies in these and top with flaky pastry which go straight to the oven for cooking. Batch cooking is definitely the way to go if you are time limited ,or even if you just fancy a night or two off from the kitchen
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Thanks so much JackieO I think you have just answered my question regarding cooking from frozen ! That's a good idea about individual pies - I could do this rather than one large cottage pie as we sometimes eat at different times due to work - so this is a good one for me to try
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 18th Apr 19, 8:51 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    I asked my friends what they cook each week and garnered some inspiration there!

I have a notebook stuck to my fridge and keep a running shopping list which helps as I run out of things or am inspired I write it down on the list and use that for shopping.

I tend to have a batch cooking session every couple of weeks and stuff my freezer and then run it down from there - it works for us as I have two children who work random shifts and are always hungry!!

I make bolognaise, taco meat, chicken fajitas, shepherds pie, cook sausages, mash potato, onion gravy, soups, fritata, chilli, lasagne - I use takeaway boxes and plastic bags to store in the freezer and then just take out the night before and defrost in the fridge ready for use the next evening.

I cook a soup every week and this sits in my fridge very happily and lasts me the week for lunches etc. I hate food waste and I will eat up random leftovers regularly. As long as the meal is nutritionally balances I can cope

Good luck as you navigate this! It's great you're planning in this way and it will save you money and reduce waste.
    Originally posted by Working Mum
    Wow thanks working mum - you too have answered my freezer/defrost question - I should have read down before answering the question

Great advice. Silly question but this really is new to me... when you make the chicken fajittas - do you put the cooked meat, peppers, sauce in the wrap and when cool freeze them? I could actually do these individually

Some many good ideas x
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Apr 19, 6:46 AM
    • 6,274 Posts
    • 46,136 Thanks
    joedenise
    Thanks Denise - I'll have a look in the shops to see what's on offer
    Originally posted by takingcontrolatlast
    The Chinese takeaway style boxes are really cheap in places like Poundland, I think 1 for 8 (or they were last time I bought some!)

Denise
    • -taff
    • By -taff 19th Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    • 10,174 Posts
    • 13,727 Thanks
    -taff
    You can defrost then heat up, or you can cook from frozen [ if you do it in the oven it's better than a saucepan because if you do it in a saucepan you end up mushing it a bit because only the bottom will cook first, however, now that you've asked, there's no reason you can't do it in a slow cooker]
    Fajitas, I've frozen the stuff separately, and the wraps separately, never thought of doing them together. I suppose they'd be ok done like that then heated in the oven with some foil on the top to avoid crisping up the wraps. I tend to put zero fat yoghurt in mine though so they'd be no good heating up like that.
    Or you could pour a salsa sauce over the top and call them chimichangas
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 19th Apr 19, 11:10 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Thanks everyone for the advice

Unfortunately I dont have a slow cooker - would you believe it! I've only just acquired a microwave as I moved house and it was built in! And I've never batched cooked cooked before (I'm in my early 50's)!!!!

Anyway meals planned for the week utilising items in the freezer and my plan is to attempt to batch cook chilli to begin with over the weekend.

When shopping I'll also look out for yellow stickers and items on offer. x
    • redlaces
    • By redlaces 20th Apr 19, 7:43 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    redlaces
    Hello lovely OSers!

Does anyone know what to do with leftover milk? I don't drink it, and I bought it because a friend stayed who likes a splash of milk in her coffee (thinking on, I may invest in some little UHT packets for next time!)

Anyway, I don't want to waste it, I have most store cupboard ingredients in (although no butter and just 1 egg). Any ideas?

Thanks
    Starting debt: 15,343.28 Current Debt: 12,135.31

Debt-free date: June 2023
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 20th Apr 19, 9:24 PM
    • 6,274 Posts
    • 46,136 Thanks
    joedenise
    How about rice pudding? Something with a white or cheese sauce ?

Denise
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 20th Apr 19, 9:39 PM
    • 3,316 Posts
    • 8,608 Thanks
    melanzana
    Hello lovely OSers!

Does anyone know what to do with leftover milk? I don't drink it, and I bought it because a friend stayed who likes a splash of milk in her coffee (thinking on, I may invest in some little UHT packets for next time!)

Anyway, I don't want to waste it, I have most store cupboard ingredients in (although no butter and just 1 egg). Any ideas?

Thanks
    Originally posted by redlaces
    Freeze it in ice cube trays, or if you have a funnel, into those ice cube bags. Pop them out as needed.

It sounds a bit OTT to me for a splash of milk, but I get the thread.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 21st Apr 19, 6:48 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 7,883 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I am the same redlaces, I usually make an egg custard.
    2018 2285/2149
    2019 2000=1071-15=1056-11=1045-6=1039-20=1019-59=960-59=901
    • redlaces
    • By redlaces 21st Apr 19, 12:15 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    redlaces
    Thank you so much guys! I am going to go down the rice pudding route I think... I fancy a bit of a sweet treat today

I'm usually terrible for food waste and trying to be better. Just waiting for some feta and sundried tomato filo parcels to cook, all ingredients came from stores so I'm rather proud of my moneysaving strategy today that mean I get to eat yummy food for nothing!
    Last edited by redlaces; 21-04-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Starting debt: 15,343.28 Current Debt: 12,135.31

Debt-free date: June 2023
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Apr 19, 2:38 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 143,403 Thanks
    JackieO
    Rice pudding ,Custard, semolina pudding or frozen in ice cube trays and then bagged up

JackieO x
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 21st Apr 19, 3:57 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 7,376 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Or make pancakes -you can freeze them.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 22nd Apr 19, 6:51 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 6,595 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I am finding I can spend a lot of time meal planning on a Saturday morning before shopping.... I do think I need to try and speed up the process.... any tips?

I can actually spend over an hour looking for ideas for the week on a Saturday morning and my weekends fly by as it is!

As a previous poster has said, you need to have a few basics that just happen every week, so you don't need to think about it. But that said, you can still ring the changes. For example, I always cook a roast chicken on a Sunday night, and use some of the leftover chicken for the meal on Monday night. But that 'leftover' meal might be a curry, or pasta, or a chicken pie - same leftovers, different meal. Ditto on a Wednesday I make soup using stock made from the chicken bones - but it could be veggie soup, or lentil soup, or (more often than not) back-of-the-fridge soup. One night a week I cook mince - but it could be burgers, or spag bol, or chilli, or savoury mince etc etc. I make the final decision on the day, depending on how busy I am, how hungry I am, and what else is in the fridge or if there's stuff that needs using up.

You don't need to dream up something new 7 days a week - that way madness lies!! And besides, if you hit on a meal that's a family favourite, they'll look forward to having it every week.
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 22nd Apr 19, 8:02 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    As a previous poster has said, you need to have a few basics that just happen every week, so you don't need to think about it. But that said, you can still ring the changes. For example, I always cook a roast chicken on a Sunday night, and use some of the leftover chicken for the meal on Monday night. But that 'leftover' meal might be a curry, or pasta, or a chicken pie - same leftovers, different meal. Ditto on a Wednesday I make soup using stock made from the chicken bones - but it could be veggie soup, or lentil soup, or (more often than not) back-of-the-fridge soup. One night a week I cook mince - but it could be burgers, or spag bol, or chilli, or savoury mince etc etc. I make the final decision on the day, depending on how busy I am, how hungry I am, and what else is in the fridge or if there's stuff that needs using up.

You don't need to dream up something new 7 days a week - that way madness lies!! And besides, if you hit on a meal that's a family favourite, they'll look forward to having it every week.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Thanks for the advice trailingspouse I do the same with a chicken - use leftovers for chicken sandwiches for lunch for a chicken pasta/curry.

I do tend to work like yourself but I want to try and cut back from cooking every night and have a staple in the freezer I can just "pull out" - and at the same time using up/reducing waste food ... that's my goal ... I do seem to be saving money.. that said... no savings this week on the food shop due to some expensive items in trolley but I did get some reduced items to even things out

I also don't want to be spending an hour or so dreaming up new meals ... gonna limit it to maybe one a week (with items I already have left over) and keep to the staple meals.. ie chilli, pasta bol, etc

I need to improve my health - I'm diabetic with high cholesterol so I'm really struggling on healthy options in keeping the food bill down and staying out of the kitchen a few times a week.

I made a "green" soup with leftover cabbage, brocolli, celery, onion, garlic, cumin ... it was awful

Anyway - i'll be making my chilli for the freezer today... have left over chicken, potatoes and veg which DH is having for his tea.. DD2 is having left over pizza and I'll probably have some concoction with eggs

Enjoy the sunshine! x
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 22nd Apr 19, 8:56 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    ailz95
    I make up meals for my mother-in-law and husband for when I'm not up to cooking. I cook up veg which I then freeze on trays so that we can just add whatever they fancy. I also slow cook in the oven very cheap meats and put them into plastic boxes. Hubby is a vegetarian so curries are a good stand-by. I also make pie mixes - cheese, onion & potato, meat and potato, leek celeriac & thyme etc. - these can then be eaten either with a crust or in a yorkshire pudding. I try to cook one day a week, but don't always manage it - I'm disabled - but I don't like buying ready meals as they're full of 'stuff' that you wouldn't usually use.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 23rd Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Those pies sound nice Aliz95

I did manage to freeze a large chilli. With the remaining chilli I layered a base of broken tortillas, chilli, sour cream and repeated and topped with cheese. This looked really nice and didnt make the freezer... just the fridge and warmed it up in the oven for tea tonight with garilic bread..... however .... i forgot to cook rice which resulted in DH saying I couldnt be bothered so he got an earful

The toritillas disintegrated and sour cream sort of melted and basically it all looked like a dogs dinner I wont be repeating this meal !! It was from you t*be...

Although I'm trying.. I'm not having much success (the green soup, this meal and my breakfast muffins)

I think the frozen chilli should be ok as its a basic staple ... just need to remember to cook rice
    • Smoosh
    • By Smoosh 23rd Apr 19, 7:56 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 12,597 Thanks
    Smoosh
    Making an effort to waste less - especially veg as we sometimes find ourselves buying a certain veg for one meal and the rest sits in the fridge looking sad for a while until it goes in the bin.

I've just rescued a sweet pepper, half a punnet of tomatoes, some fresh basil, an odd clove of garlic and some goats cheese that needed using up and made myself a lovely soup for lunch for work tomorrow! One of my first tries at soup (and first ever not following a recipe) and I think it turned out great!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th Apr 19, 6:21 AM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 143,403 Thanks
    JackieO
    Smoosh your soup sounds delicious, and a great way to use up odds and ends. Soup making I think is a very forgiving way to use up things like this.I love finding bits and pieces of leftover or forgotten things in the fridge. I have as a stand by in a basket on the side in my kitchen a range of purees in tubes I have garlic,chilli and ginger that I have bought mainly from poundland type shops that just add a bit of zizz to almost anything .It does help that I like spicy, and things with a bit of a kick
    I also have a large jar filled with a bag lentils that I bought ages ago for around 50p. I add a handful of these to soups to help thicken them up, or a couple of diced potatoes when cooking soup. When the soup has been blended and portioned into my containers ,either for freezing or storing in the fridge to use for lunches they are nice and thick so when I reheat I add a bit more water to thin down slightly and sometimes add broken bits of pasta from my pasta lock'n'lock box .

This is a box where any broken or crushed bits of dried pasta is stored and added when I am reheating soup gently,this also helps to bulk out soups and make them more filling .I have bits of leftover broken spaghetti and lasagne in this box so very little ever gets wasted in my house ,even the broken bits

I save broken bits of biscuits in another box to use in bases for cheese cakes etc.It may sound a bit extreme, but I think that if I can use up as much as I can rather than binning it then my purse will stay fuller for longer .

I cut off and freeze broccoli stalks to use in soups and stews, why bin it as it is still part of the food you have bought , mushroom stalks get trimmed and frozen in a bag as well .

I am interested to see if others use small savings to make larger ones with left over bits ?

My DD will save and give to me when I need it the end crusts of a loaf which I stick into my little electric mincer and use as breadcrumbs as I don't actually have or eat bread at all.
    I beat the birds to it
    when cooking bacon any fat drained goes into a small bowl in my fridge for reuse when frying omelettes etc, small savings but better than chucking away

JackieO xx
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 24th Apr 19, 9:59 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Working Mum
    Great advice. Silly question but this really is new to me... when you make the chicken fajittas - do you put the cooked meat, peppers, sauce in the wrap and when cool freeze them? I could actually do these individually

Some many good ideas x
    Hi takingcontrol,
    I only ever freeze the meat part of the dish - in portions - so I can defrost them and add the fresh stuff like guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc at the time of eating - I re-heat the chicken fajitas in a frying pan and warm the tortillas in another frying pan and it takes a few minutes to sort out and the meal tastes freshly made.

The "top tip" would be to slight under cook the peppers so they are prefect after being reheated!

I also make my fajita spice mix and it is so easy!! Found a recipe online and keep it in a jar - saves me 90p or so for the sachets bought at supermarkets!

Are you enjoying this batch cooking project so far??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,674Users online

Martin's Twitter