Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Thanks very much for this Martin. I am a community nurse in a mental health team. Will it be ok for me to print this off more than once at work to give to clients? I think my colleagues may also be interested in using it with their clients.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • I've downloaded, but not read the guide yet. But even before that I have to give much kudos to Martin et al for producing such a document. Mental health problems are under-publicised in this country, and not helped by the negative stigma. By doing something that will help people to stand on their own 2 feet, and be financially independent you will be helping a fair percentage of the population. Truly a credit to humanity. Cheers
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Clarie wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

Just wanted to say congrats and well done for the guide. It's fantastic, thank you so much for all the effort and energy that has gone in to this.

In terms of publishing it in hard copy (which could be really helpful for some people I know who have mental health problems, debt but no internet), would there be a self publishing option? Where we could pay a price to get it printed and delivered as some internet self publishers provide? We could buy it with petty cash from work then and get some copies as and when we needed them.

Clarie

If you send an email to furtherhelp@ to let us know what you're looking at, who for, how many etc.

It may be easier to do this for groups than for individuals (distributions is much more costly than printing)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    newleaf wrote: »
    Thanks very much for this Martin. I am a community nurse in a mental health team. Will it be ok for me to print this off more than once at work to give to clients? I think my colleagues may also be interested in using it with their clients.

In the specific example of a mental health caseworker/nurse printing for clients in a non commercial setting you have my permission and thank you :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Martin, your site was a godsend for me when I first came on here when I developed depression (I was under a different username then) and was only 20, I had a few debts and was earning decent money, near perfect attendance record and didnt overly worry about 'tomorrow'.

When I couldn't settle at my job and my income dropped as I turned down a promotion and was put onto reduced hours it became a real struggle to keep up to date with my payments, the recovery from depression became so so difficult as the money worries spiralled and this then added to my anxiety.

This guide will help and it's high time that you were recognised in a formal capacity for the brilliant work you do and continue to do for us mere mortals.
    (DFW Long Haul # 240 )
  • Hi Martin,
    I have been working with people with mental health difficulties for the past five years. I have had a quick look at your publication and I am very impressed. It will provide a handy reference for staff and clients alike. I would, however, like to make a small point:

Whilst evidence exists to suggest that those experiencing Bipolar Disorder have been known to spend in an uncontrolled way, there is also evidence to suggest that this spending behaviour is not specific to Bipolar disorder, for example, those suffering with OCD and even depression.

I believe that the advice given is excellent and I will be sharing your publication with my colleagues within my NHS Trust.

Well Done and Congratulations to all involved in producing this useful booklet!!

Lesley R
    (Support, Time Recovery Worker, NHS)
  • JWF1958
    JWF1958 Posts: 19 Forumite
    To Martin & co

well done for this brilliant guide - jargon free and practical. I was going to just download to read it 'later' but I'm glad I didn't. I hope everyone who needs to see it, does, and I guess this means the policy makers as much as us ordinary peeps.

I'm glad to see that CAP were involved with this guide. Thank you for pointing out that being Christian is why the organisation exists, not how they operate.

Thanks!
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for this Martin.. I am one of those that suffers with Bi Polar and unfortunately am struggling with my debt. Am getting there slowly but unfortunately some of my creditors are not being very understanding. This booklet came at a much needed time today.. Many thanks.

Is it okay if I print it off and take it along to my care worker so that she can show it to my Mental Health Team at the hospital, for possible future use.
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Though your guide is an excellent idea, and I am fully in support of it, it seems preternaturally strange that you have told people to download and print it, and yet failed to provide a printer friendly version.

What do I mean by this?

Well the PDF I downloaded has full colour pictures, massive bold coloured areas, blocks of solid ink everywhere etc.
    :mad:

A printer friendly version would provide just the text, in order to save precious ink. There you go, a money-saving tip for the money-saving tippers!!
    :A

I suppose if you are printing at work it doesn't matter (though you may need to avoid prying eyes), but for people printing at home this guide costs needless expense in wasted ink. A strange irony from the Money Saving Experts!

Please provide a text-only version.

In the meantime, users can save a bit by copying the essential text and pasting to a Word document for slight savings on the cover photo etc.

Thanks guys! :T
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Martin over the years you have done much that I have admired but this tops everything! I think it's fab. A very sincere well done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure