Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • that
    • By that 20th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    that
    • 20th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 20th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    maybe, it depends what is available in your area - google samknows
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 20th Apr 19, 9:27 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 20th Apr 19, 9:27 PM
    • 20th Apr 19, 9:27 PM
    All internet that comes via a BT line requires a phone line which automatically means you have to pay for it in the form of the line rental.

Virgin do do an offering where you can have broadband on its own but it is usually cheaper just to have a line and internet. You don't have to use the line or even plug a phone into it.

You get better deals if you can commit for up to 18 months, but note that if you move house they will attract termination fees. No contract options are available but again you pay more for the flexibility of not having a contract.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 20th Apr 19, 10:06 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 20th Apr 19, 10:06 PM
    • 20th Apr 19, 10:06 PM
    virgin , internet only approx £19 a mth , 12 mth min
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 20th Apr 19, 10:38 PM
    • 9,207 Posts
    • 6,915 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 20th Apr 19, 10:38 PM
    • 20th Apr 19, 10:38 PM
    pēn zi or some such
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 21st Apr 19, 4:45 AM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 5,569 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 21st Apr 19, 4:45 AM
    • 21st Apr 19, 4:45 AM
    Virgin seems to be the only option.
    assuming Virgin is actually available to your house.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 21st Apr 19, 6:51 AM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 21st Apr 19, 6:51 AM
    • 21st Apr 19, 6:51 AM
    When I had an empty house I used a little 4G mifi router with a PAYG SIM (I used iD Mobile as they were cheapest per MB at the time), the routers are cheaply available on eBay and easily unlocked. There are some decent contract deals available if you need lots of data (I managed fine with a security camera and Nest thermostat on PAYG).
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 21st Apr 19, 7:03 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 21st Apr 19, 7:03 AM
    • 21st Apr 19, 7:03 AM
    Have you thought about using a mobile phone, or “MiFi” device?

Three are currently offering a 12 month contract SIM for £20/month which has unlimited 4G data, unlimited tethering (use your phone as a WiFi hotspot with typically up to 5 devices simultaneously connected), unlimited calls and texts to most UK numbers. 4G speeds on my iPhone are around 20 to 60 Mb/s download and 6 to 20 Mb/s upload. A test a couple of minutes ago gave 38.8/9.71 on a “1 bar” strength signal.

For some odd reason, data only SIMs appear to be more expensive than phone SIMs... or at least on Three they are.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 21st Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 21st Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    • 21st Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    I've got an empty house and I need to get a wifi package. There was a Sky TV bundle with telephone and an internet package which has now run out.

I would like to go for a pay as you go option from somewhere like Plusnet but do I need to pay for a landline option.

So do I have to pay for a telephone subscription to get Plusnet
    Originally posted by gabriel73195
    For all internet services provided over Openreach infrastructure (BT/Sky/TalkTalk/Plusnet/etc.) you need to pay line rental. This is included in the price. You do not need to pay for a phone package or even plug a phone into the line.

For Virgin Media you will pay their equivalent of line rental regardless of whether you have the phone option or not. The price is included in whatever the price they charge for internet access.

To get internet via a physical line the price you pay will include line rental for usage of the physical line. It won't be separately listed in the bill unless you decide to pay for it separately.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 21st Apr 19, 10:56 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Would that allow you to have a mobile phone you can walk around using and then have the wifi hub at home using unlimited free data? It probably wouldn't be enough for the entire house though as I'm assuming it would have some kind of cap but I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.
    That's blistering fast and I assume that you are talking about 6 to 20 megabits per second as I always get the two confused and I think megabits is less than megabytes so on that slowest number you're getting 5 x the speed I currently get right now and the speed I get is fast enough to play games online and to watch netflix on an HD setting I think
    I use a mobile phone all the time as I’m a bit nomadic spending time split between 2 houses. If I were to have a landline/broadband in each, plus the mobile, it could cost upwards of £60/month.

There are currently no limits on data/tethering use on Three with that £20/month SIM. There is nothing to stop Three changing their T&Cs in the future, if they do you can always change to another provider. Also, it might only work in a phone, as opposed to using it in one of those MiFi units.

The “unlimited” data is just that, except that as a shared resource on the local phone site the data rate will vary depending on others using their phones/tablets to watch videos and download software, etc. If you are near a caravan park on a wet weekend it could be painfully slow.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 21st Apr 19, 11:06 AM
    • 3,243 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    Cisco001
    Yes Virgin is available at least. I originally tried Virgin but I had a devil of a job to get it to work but the biggest problem was customer service which was so appalling that I went for the Sky deal

Thanks! I'll look into that. I've known people who've just used data sims that were quick and fast

Would that allow you to have a mobile phone you can walk around using and then have the wifi hub at home using unlimited free data? It probably wouldn't be enough for the entire house though as I'm assuming it would have some kind of cap but I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.
    That's blistering fast and I assume that you are talking about 6 to 20 megabits per second as I always get the two confused and I think megabits is less than megabytes so on that slowest number you're getting 5 x the speed I currently get right now and the speed I get is fast enough to play games online and to watch netflix on an HD setting I think
    You can talk on phone and share WiFi hot-spot at same time.
    If you go down this route, you need to get a three sim to test the speed first.
    It is location dependant.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 21st Apr 19, 3:29 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    There are data only SIMs, but they are poor value in comparison with the phone + data ones. There are “discounts” for extra SIMs on some networks, EE used to offer that.

We tend to not watch TV at the same time as making phone calls.

As per the earlier reply, try a PAYG SIM to check signal levels indoors. Three will send you a free one to try without needing to “buy” one for 99p in a supermarket. I did try a Vodafone PAYG a while back, only to find 4G wasn’t available on it for some odd reason.

Before jumping in both feet first, read carefully the small print and check with a PAYG SIM to make sure it’s suitable.
    • markin
    • By markin 27th Apr 19, 5:02 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    markin
    All SIMs seem to have a 20GB or less a month fair use policy, Watching some youtube / iplayer would soon eat that up, Last oct i did a big hunt and the only one that seemed worth trying was gif gaf im sure it was a 100gb usage last i checked but now its 20gb limit at full speed...

"Always On data
    With Always On you get 20GB of data at full 4G speed. After 20GB of data used you'll experience a reduced data speed of 384kbps from 8am to Midnight. You may notice that activities which require high amounts of data, like HD video streaming, will be slower."

I think its always worth asking to use next doors and offering to pay half.
    Last edited by markin; 27-04-2019 at 5:05 PM.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 27th Apr 19, 5:14 PM
    • 5,316 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    benjus
    Hyperoptic is another provider that does not require a phone line (in fact they don't even offer phone lines). However, coverage is very limited at the moment, generally limited to recently built apartment buildings. I hear they are very good if you can get them...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 27th Apr 19, 5:35 PM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    RumRat
    Hyperoptic is another provider that does not require a phone line (in fact they don't even offer phone lines). However, coverage is very limited at the moment, generally limited to recently built apartment buildings. I hear they are very good if you can get them...
    Originally posted by benjus
    There are a few of these companies springing up offering high speed BB. We have CityFibre FTTP Gigabit BB (Offering via Vodafone for first 2 years I believe) being installed in my area, but, not yet in my street. You won't need to have a phone with them.

I'm perfectly happy with Virgin, but, it always helps the haggling when they have competition...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

1,985Users online

Martin's Twitter