Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 8th Dec 14, 8:19 AM
    • 1,433Posts
    • 10,310Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    Xmas Dinner - Plate up or Self Serve?
    • 8th Dec 14, 8:19 AM
    Xmas Dinner - Plate up or Self Serve? 8th Dec 14 at 8:19 AM
    Hi

We are hosting Christmas dinner this year, and I was wondering what you all do with regard to serving the dinner. Do you plate everyone's dinner in the kitchen and give it to them at the dining table. Or do you put everything in serving bowls etc and put it on the table for guests to help themselves?

The reason being, my husband likes his plated up - so it's all hot and he doesn't need to add anything other than bread sauce/cranberry sauce etc. Whereas my father in law likes to help himself from the table (although that's not strictly true - he likes someone else to plate his dinner up from the main table so he can just tell them what he wants )

So..... my thoughts are plate everyone's dinner up (small portions) and then put extras of everything in serving bowls on the table for anyone to add additional food if they wish to.

Is that a good compromise?
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now )
Page 3
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 19th Dec 18, 5:54 AM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Sometimes plating up is the only way to stop some people getting in quick and taking way too many Roasties or Pigs in Blankets. At least you can get things fairly equal initially, and then put the "seconds" in dishes. I was left with no PiB one year, as I was last on the "pass the dish round the table".
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Dec 18, 7:25 AM
    • 22,619 Posts
    • 61,196 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Amused by the resurrection of a four-year-old thread haha!
    Originally posted by heartbreak_star
    Me too.
    I think the sadly PPRd PasturesNew got it right:

Can't get it wrong, it's CHRISTMAS!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It really shouldn't matter what anyone else does - do what suits you.
    • kittennose
    • By kittennose 19th Dec 18, 9:05 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    kittennose
    I've only had my food plated up for me as an adult at one particular place - they gave me veg I don't eat/ too much/too little of something. I'm perfectly capable of choosing what I want.
    Originally posted by Buzzybee90
    I'd hate to have my food plated up for me and would hate to do it for someone else. I want to choose what I want and how much, and I'd want my guests to feel free to do the same. I'd feel like I was back at school.
    Originally posted by nickyhutch
    Have you guys ever been to a restaurant?

Staggered as to how many people find it 'rude' to be served a meal on a plate. Being invited to someones house for a meal shouldn't be any different to being invited for a meal anywhere else.

Last edited by kittennose; 19-12-2018 at 9:08 AM.
    • kittennose
    • By kittennose 19th Dec 18, 9:16 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    kittennose
    We host Christmas most years - 12-16 of us usually. I always portion everything out and plate up, I think guests should be presented with what the chef makes as they would in any restaurant; but of course there's no pressure to eat anything you don't like such as sprouts; just leave it.

it also tends to keep food hotter, far less washing up and keeps the table clear and prevents people reaching over each-other and taking more than is fair, or people being scared to take enough.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Dec 18, 9:32 AM
    • 22,619 Posts
    • 61,196 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Lordy! Lordy!
    All this talk of people taking too much or being scared to take as much as they might want to or may be judging how their host serves the meal makes me really pleased that we've stepped away from the 'it's Christmas so we all need to be together' idea and we eat on our own (and have done for at least 30 years ).
    We don't like our plates piled high so I put a little of everything on our plates (only cooking food that we like, obviously) and put any extras in small serving bowls.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 20th Dec 18, 2:07 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 7,458 Thanks
    ska lover
    I didn't realize this was a minefield either

I always put dishes out and let people self serve - and I prefer that myself when at others houses

Im a weirdo though, Id hate to be handed a plate with a thick chunk of meat on it - I always chose the thinnest bit of meat available

I have left most of a roast dinner at a pub before, because the chicken came out on the bone - ewwwwwwww and the least food is handled before given to me the better, if it is plated up, someone else has handled it in some way, and decided what my portion size is
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • hostertlady
    • By hostertlady 21st Dec 18, 9:05 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    hostertlady
    We host Christmas most years - 12-16 of us usually. I always portion everything out and plate up, I think guests should be presented with what the chef makes as they would in any restaurant; but of course there's no pressure to eat anything you don't like such as sprouts; just leave it.

it also tends to keep food hotter, far less washing up and keeps the table clear and prevents people reaching over each-other and taking more than is fair, or people being scared to take enough.
    Originally posted by kittennose
    me too! i'm hosting and I put equal amounts on everyone's plates and the leftovers go on the table if anyone wants anymore
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,179Posts Today

5,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin