Free guide from Refuge for women experiencing domestic violence

Options

Comments

• yoni_one
    yoni_one Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    jamespir wrote: »
    its nice that they help women but surely its slightly sexist of them only realising the guide to women about abusive male partners us men can be on the receiving end of domestic abuse too from female partners when will people realise that

James, it is realised and there is support, the support line number for men is in my signature.
    Domestic Violence and Abuse 24hr freephone helpline for FEMALE TARGETS - 0808 2000 247.

For MALE TARGETS - 0808 801 0327.

Free legal advice on WOMEN'S RIGHTS - 020 7251 6577.
    PM me for further support / links to websites.
  • bellodharma
    bellodharma Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    this guide is a real help for women who are in a serious and violent situation. never been in one but i want to know if having a husband who's a philanderer is considered as a domestic violence issue? one of my relatives is having this situation.

she wants out of the marriage although he's not violent and provides for the children, she's concerned that her boys (children) will follow the steps of their father. is she eligible for the help this guide is saying?
    :A work to live or live to work? :A
  • jonesmiyh2011
    Options
    how to manage/be able to afford to leave a controlled relationship from the financial point of view. It is scary enough for many people just to think about splitting up, especially when children are involved.
  • jet77
    jet77 Posts: 1,586 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for posting this x
    JUST DO IT ONE BRICK AT A TIME
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
    Weekly Budget: groceries£50/petrol£50/Unnecesary£15
    DEBT PAID = 58% (£4,212/£8216):T
  • Butterflymind
    Butterflymind Posts: 145 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 27 March 2012 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Dear mse'ers

I apologise if I am not posting this in the right place. Please re-direct if not...

I have been going through a lot of bad things recently, but, in my introductory counselling session, a therapist shocked me by saying I was being abused by my husband.

I feel weird, bewildered, all sorts of things, but, although some things rang a bell with me, I thought I was far from being a beaten wife... She pointed out it was emotional abuse, and could I recognise it as such. I couldn't get my head round it.

However, this weekend, on another downer. I had worked hard on cleaning and laundering this week, and felt I was coming more out of depression, but, because I made mistakes with shopping (i bought dvd's we already had, and didn't spot that some things had gone off), my husband said that he would have to organise and do the shopping instead. I felt really upset. I felt a total failure and really low. Found myself binge eating chocolate and had horrible nights sleep.

I also thought back to start of depression and struggled all day to even write a shopping list - why didn't he help me then? And this lead to other thoughts. Why didn't he take responsibility for all the drugs in the house when I asked him to? After I told him I wanted to over-dose? And why did he also make a point of 'accidentally' showing me an unknown woman's name on his mobile, claim it was an office girl, when we both know who works at his place (small firm), so I felt utterly worthless, unloveable, etc...

Confused. He's being so nice to me that I feel a real bad person for even typing this. Yet then I also think about getting our rescue dog - to cheer up my situation, and how he reacted (because I said I needed to use ladies, he fired up and said he wasn't going to stand in reception waiting for me, I was to go first, hand in adoption form, then fetch him from car. He waited till I was at the boot before he got out, it was humiliating, but, I thought if I didn't do as he asked he would change his mind, ad I couldn't get our dog).

Yet he is good in so many ways, helps with housework, doesn't smoke, womanise, spend all night in pubs, etc. Wants to be there 24/7, etc. My head is all over the place right now and I am feeling scared of doing anything. I am losing my job (redundancy)., he has pressured me to have a joint account together (we had separate ones when we split before because of his jealousy). I don't know whether I am coming or going....

Feel like I am imagining it all, as have talked to work colleagues in past, but, when they meet him, he is shy, polite, charming, no-one ever sees how he can be at times. He now even denies he was ever jealous, even though we went to Relate about this? Am I going mad?

BM
    :ANow MF (thanks in part to following advice from MSE - cheers!)

DDCF: £225 Little acorns...
    ;)
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like mental abuse, as destructive as physical abuse.
  • Butterflymind
    Options
    Just to say, thank you Jox, I am now rambling on under a separate thread: 'Is this abuse?'

BM
    :ANow MF (thanks in part to following advice from MSE - cheers!)

DDCF: £225 Little acorns...
    ;)
  • MOTHEROF4_2
    Options
    Hi, can any one help, iv just won an occupation order form the court, to have my x husband leave our house because of domestic violence towards me and my girls, he has to leave by 4.pm on Wednesday next week, can I get any help with changing the door locks of my home to make it more secure I'm on benefits and have 3 girls. Thanks
  • amyloofoo
    amyloofoo Posts: 1,804 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MOTHEROF4 wrote: »
    Hi, can any one help, iv just won an occupation order form the court, to have my x husband leave our house because of domestic violence towards me and my girls, he has to leave by 4.pm on Wednesday next week, can I get any help with changing the door locks of my home to make it more secure I'm on benefits and have 3 girls. Thanks

Hi Motherof4,

It might be a good idea to start a new thread for your issues, as people are unlikely to be able to notice / help if it's just tagged on here. Do you own your own home, is it privately rented or HA / Council? If it's the latter then they would be your first port of call to help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback