PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Who else forages?

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    That's so sad, snilloct1957. Near us there's a hedgerow that the farmer clearly doesn't want; he's flailed it 3 times in a year, that we know of, once while we were walking down the footpath (public right of way, National Trust land) next to it, which could easily have resulted in serious damage to our eyes if we hadn't realised what was happening & turned to face into the other hedge. It's reduced to a few sorry sticks now; this happened in early summer & there were definitely birds nesting. No more blackberries, hips & sloes from that one! I can't imagine what the benefit to him is; now dogs can get into the field easily as there's just a wire fence between the few surviving bushes, and the wind whips through straight into his crops.

It can't be easy to have the public continually traipsing across the land you're trying to make a living from; this is very close to a big historic monument and many visitors don't have much clue about closing gates, keeping off the crops & keeping their pets (or children, even) under control. But just to rip the hedgerow out, when you can't physically make the field any bigger, baffles me...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Foragers reference books I'd recommend:
    Wild food - Roger Phillips
    Food for Free Richard Mabey
    River Cottage - any of the Handbook series

Lifted from a colleague's guide to edible greens
    Wall Pennywort - raw as a salad nibble. Very nice "Sugar Snap pea" like flavour
    Wild Garlic - leaf and bulb, both raw as a salad nibble and chopped into home made cheese - mild garlic flavour.
    Ground Elder - raw as salad nibble, not great... a bit tough and bitter
    Hawthorn leaf - raw as salad nibble - nutty flavour
    Jack by the Hedge - raw as salad nibble,. Mustardy garlicy flavour.
    Violet - flower raw as salad nibble. Not much flavour.
    Alexanders - Leaf raw as salad nibble, stalks boiled in salt water and served with black pepper. Stalks very nice asparagus/celery flavour, leaf a bit tough and bitter but with a nice tang.
    Cleavers - leaf cooked in salty water. Not great and somewhat bitter
    Primrose flower - raw as salad nibble. Not much flavour.
    Nettles - cooked in salty water. Spinach flavour
    Dandelion - leaf and flower as salad nibbles leaf a little bitter but flower very nice flavour... a bit floral!
    Lesser Celendine - leaf raw pleasant as a salad nibble and root boiled - nutty crunch, quite pleasant. Do not use too much as can be slightly toxic!
    Lemon Balm - leaf raw as salad nibble - very strong lemon flavour...you do not need much in a salad! Makes a great herb tea.
    Sycamore leaf bud - raw as salad nibble - slightly bitter peapod flavour.

Other reminders were
    Fresh cleavers - put them into a sandwich of brown bread and cheese
    Lots of very fat looking sycamore seeds, obviously ripening to burst into leaf. They taste a bit like peas.
    Hairy Bittercress, it definitely packs a lot of flavour for such a small plant - for salad!
  • Camomile
    Camomile Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Wow, so many suggestions! Thanks to everybody for naming a few plants, at least can google the pictures and enhance my diet.

Goosefoot I know as fat hen, we use to eat it as spinach when we were kids

Great idea to “employ” the kids.

Last year I was given/scrounged/picked so many berries my freezer is still half full so was thinking about making a go at wine. Surely must be better than shop bought plop and a bit cheaper as well.

Heaps of wild fruit growingaround here, hope the summer is going to come soon otherwise there might be nothing to pick in the autumn.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I forage--mostly blackberries, bilberries/winberries and elderflowers. I've just done a batch of champagne today and have plans to go bilberry picking next weekend.
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    with regard to plantain. I've read, but not tried, that if you start taking a tea made of a local plantain leaf in early spring, you can build up an immunity to hay fever before whatever aggravates your own brand of hay fever begins.
  • Melc36
    Melc36 Posts: 20 Forumite
    In addition to the usual blackberries and elderflower, we regularly pick wild garlic (there's a lovely Waitrose recipe for wild garlic, salmon and Jersey new potatoes). I've also made primrose curd with the flowers - a beautiful delicate flavour.

Mushrooms of course too and wild blueberries, yum!
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I use meadow sweet flowers to make cordial with, just use your usual elderflower cordial recipe swap them out for meadow sweet flowers instead and make in the same way, it's got a lovely honey/almondy/marzipan type of flavour and is delicious, it smells divine too.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks halogen and mse tine. I'll defo have a go, there's loads of flowers on it. :T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Just stumbled across this thread. I too lack the knowledge to actively forage for anything beyond blackberries. However, I'm trying to change this and spotted this youtube video on how to ID sloe/blackthorn berries:
    Tree id: How to forage sloe berries & make sloe gin (Blackthorn - Prunus spinosa)
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • bsuije
    bsuije Posts: 61 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Further to my post last week - on the weekend I ventured out to Zone 4 again in the search for elderflower. Managed a small haul (most flowers were past the stage where they are suitable for cordial) and made about a litre of cordial.

And OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!! Mind absolutely blown at how tasty it turned out, even with less sugar than the recipe suggested (I love that I have control over the sugar content!), and it was so, so easy to make it! :j

It seems I'm late to the party this year, but will be stockpiling empty bottles for next year! :D

Speaking of elderflower, though - does anyone here make anything with elderberries? My mum got a little bottle of elderberry syrup / cordial from a friend last year - it's supposedly very good for boosting immunity ahead of winter...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure