MegaBus free tickets

Comments

• Just booked myself London to Cardiff as two separate tickets. Had to book London-Bristol then Bristol to Cardiff. Its on the same bus but there is a charge for the direct ticket, and this is a freebie. I assume i'll be allowed to do that, as i've read the terms and conditions and its not mentioned. Anyone know otherwise?
  • byb3
    byb3 Posts: 188 Forumite
    I've done the Sheffield<->Newcastle route, Newcastle<->London and Manchester<->Newcastle route over the years and they're not bad to be honest.

In the earlier days when it was less known you could get the whole back seat to yourself and have a nap.

They are much busier these days, and most of the seats on the bus are used up. Most of the problems I've had have been with other passengers, excessively loud speaking on their mobile phones and terrible body odour.

For the price it's probably just worth it though, there is no cheaper long distance way to get from A to B in the UK apart from hitch hiking or walking/cycling it yourself.
  • Just "purchased" TWO trips to Leeds from Sunderland and back in January & February all for 50p :D
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    got a cuple of trips to london from cwmbran for free sweet
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    There's a reason my friend and I nicknames this the 'minging bus'....*shudder*

Great deals if you can stomach the smell of it though!

must be certain services cause ive used it loads and not had a problem
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Ive just booked Newcastle-bristol return 15 jan-22 jan. It looks like if you select more than 1 passenger it wont give the free option, but you can order multiple tickets for 1 passenger if that makes sense. Theres also bristol-cwmbran return available on the above dates.
    Lovely to get my little brother in law down from scotland in the new year :)
  • Thanks for pointing this out - just picked it up from the weekly email and have booked myself a little day out in Oxford in January for the 50p booking fee only. Will have to book a day off work as the freebies were only during the week, but that's fine.

Interesting to read the comments on the buses in the thread above - haven't experienced Megabus buses before (the main route I use is to London and that's all trains, which are fine), only National Express, so am hoping it'll be OK!

For anyone who's interested, I did see some free fares from Southampton to Sunderland (free both ways), which I would have used as a way of getting to Durham City, although I abandoned the idea because the trip is so long that I would have to pay for at least two nights' accommodation just to get one day there. But for anyone visiting relatives/friends it would be fine.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Managed to book myself a trip Manc to Newcastle, thanks for the heads up.
  • Jammygal wrote: »
    Bro in law travelled on one of these from Glasgow to Birmingham...... during the journey the bus started to sway and was swerving from side to side.
    One of the occupants asked the driver to stop as she felt it was unsafe - the driver refused and kept driving. Eventually she called the police to get him to stop. They pulled up on the hard shoulder and another 'magic bus' eventually came along but told the occupants it was London only destination. The only choice my bil had was to get back on the swaying bus alone and continue to Bimingham!!!

Just a word of warning -cheap but comes at a price ;)

I get megabus twice a week, and have never had a problem. Probably just a one off - im sorry you were unlucky with your journey. I constantly get problems with National Express, but have never as yet, after getting megabus usually twice weekly for 3 years, had a problem. Particularly now the majority of their routes come with free wifi, lots of leg room and working clean toilets - and usually a nice friendly driver. Dont be put off, im sure it was a one off :)
  • just got 2 tickets for newcastle to leeds on 29th of jan 2013 and back on the same day. also got 2 tickets for newcastle to birmingham on 27th of feb 2013 and again back on the say day. paid 90p in total for the lot (40p charge for sms tickets). bargain!! but from what i say there are lot going. hope this helps be quick"!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure