Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    saver861 wrote: »
    Equally, as in the Taiwan example, a simple fault occurred and remained unidentified for a considerable portion of the product development lifecycle.

The product had been shipping for about three years. With the original production firmware, the problem didn't seem to trigger. We don't really understand why, and maybe it did *very* rarely, but it wasn't reported. When they upgraded the OS, it would trigger every 3-4 days on one system when you were running 50 test systems in parallel. We had to get it to happen far more often before we could even start to hunt it down, which is a skill in and of itself.
    That simple problem mushroomed to a point of threatening the company's existence.

The impact would have been large but not existential.
    I have no doubt your testing procedures are robust .... equally I'd like to think that the team that were responsible for the hardware and software in the aircraft I might be in was also tested exhaustively!!

I can bore for my country on ISO26262 and Asil D for automotive.
    The system can never be proven to be fault free, though its possible it might be.

Some simple blocks can be formally verified but even this isn't straight forward. This is why I've never used a complex piece of silicon that didn't come with an Errata list!
    Were I the CEO, I too would have been relieved - but that relief would have been dwarfed by my concern on how and why the fault lay undetected

I always come into work with a spring in my step when we get to the "post mortem" stage.
    Equally, if you have to write software to manipulate the behaviour of an interface between the operating system and the hardware you will indeed need knowledge of both.

I have a team who do nothing but write and manipulate the very bottom levels of operating systems. However, while they have knowledge of hardware, they often haven't played with it enough to understand the finer details, details that in extreme cases can be exploited to our advantage.
    To be good at that particular area of expertise, I think there are two requirements - one, to have the ability and skills set to understand the various components and their interaction and two, probably just as important, is a genuine interest in that field of development.

Even though it's stressful, I actually enjoy tackling these kind of problems.

I wish they didn't come up, am filled with a sense of dread when they do as you never know whether s/w, h/w, whether fixable or not, or whether you're looking at a two day job for one person or a multi-month death march for a large team.

However, we have *always* root-caused the problem and (to date) have always found a solution that keeps everyone happy.

The transition from everyone screaming at you (all parties involved at many levels of engineering and management) to being thanked for good work/support (again by multiple parties) makes it all worthwhile.

Kind of!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    The product had been shipping for about three years. With the original production firmware, the problem didn't seem to trigger. We don't really understand why, and maybe it did *very* rarely, but it wasn't reported. When they upgraded the OS, it would trigger every 3-4 days on one system when you were running 50 test systems in parallel. We had to get it to happen far more often before we could even start to hunt it down, which is a skill in and of itself.

Yes - intermittent faults will always be the most difficult to find - not necessarily to fix. Once the fault is found, the fix is often relatively simple in comparison. The skills set there is an effective methodology of elimination. That is not necessarily a predominantly technical skill set but a strategic one.

I always come into work with a spring in my step when we get to the "post mortem" stage.

I'm sure those that worked on that Mars orbiter I mentioned earlier had a spring as well. However, I would liked to have been a fly on the wall when they discovered the problem was incompatible output formats!! Totally avoidable.

On a slightly different note, I recently spoke to someone who had gone into hospital to have an operation on his back. He was gowned up, had pre med, back marked up, and then they discovered the bit they had for the drill was not the right part. They had to cancel the whole thing and reschedule for a later date. Totally avoidable.

I have a team who do nothing but write and manipulate the very bottom levels of operating systems. However, while they have knowledge of hardware, they often haven't played with it enough to understand the finer details,

But, what you are describing there is an unbalanced skills development. Is the answer not to have some of that team to have sufficient product hands on time, and training, so that they can acquire the necessary skills and experiences?
    I wish they didn't come up, am filled with a sense of dread when they do as you never know whether s/w, h/w, whether fixable or not, or whether you're looking at a two day job for one person or a multi-month death march for a large team.

While saying the best option is that the fault is not allowed to develop in the first place, the one big advantage of faults and troubleshooting is that those involved will learn considerably more about the system than had the fault not been present in the first place. So there is a slight paradox about the whole thing!!

The transition from everyone screaming at you (all parties involved at many levels of engineering and management) to being thanked for good work/support (again by multiple parties) makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks is good - but only good if it is genuine, otherwise its shallow. I remember one boss I had who, in my opinion, was an excellent motivator. His thanks were not necessarily lengthy or even public, but he would just go out of his way to tap you on the shoulder and simply say "Thanks for x."
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was going to retire this December but they have asked me if I would like to work one day a week (from December) which I am going to do, as it will almost be like being retired.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    Yes - intermittent faults will always be the most difficult to find - not necessarily to fix. Once the fault is found, the fix is often relatively simple in comparison.

Our testing is such that the only faults found in released products are those where a large number of unlikely things have to happen at once. Fixes then vary between trivial and no-one having a clue how to start.
    The skills set there is an effective methodology of elimination. That is not necessarily a predominantly technical skill set but a strategic one.
    It's a combination of both, but yes, being able to work out effective strategies is key.
    They had to cancel the whole thing and reschedule for a later date. Totally avoidable.
    We refer to these as "self inflicted wounds" and yes, they can be eliminated with better systems.
    Is the answer not to have some of that team to have sufficient product hands on time, and training, so that they can acquire the necessary skills and experiences?
    Yes, and I do try to stir things up, but it's not a matter of them using the product and would instead involve them working on totally different aspects of the design and implementation of the product.
    While saying the best option is that the fault is not allowed to develop in the first place, the one big advantage of faults and troubleshooting is that those involved will learn considerably more about the system than had the fault not been present in the first place. So there is a slight paradox about the whole thing!!
    Yes, you only learn the skills and develop the "spider senses" by actually doing it, and it takes you deep into aspects of the design of the whole h/w and s/w system that you wouldn't otherwise get pulled in to.

Fortunately we often get involved in tracking these issues before the design is turned into actual silicon, which is when it changes from "trivial to change" to "almost impossible to change". (I could qualify that latter part but it's a lot of detail!)
    His thanks were not necessarily lengthy or even public, but he would just go out of his way to tap you on the shoulder and simply say "Thanks for x."
    Good enough for me! But the golden handcuffs are a nice additional gesture. :D
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    I was going to retire this December but they have asked me if I would like to work one day a week (from December) which I am going to do, as it will almost be like being retired.

I'm also hoping this will be possible. However, I've already committed by nearly acquired extra day off to a new venture, so can't go picking up many more of these!

• GazHol
    GazHol Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think when you retire you will find that the team, organisation etc will carry on. No one person and all that......

I'm with Saver861 on this one, I became one of the top technical "experts" only when the previous one left (for a huge pay rise of course). I can't see anyone internally who could replace me, but that won't stop me from winding down or early retiring from 55 (just as the majority of our IT servers go EOL in early 2020...). Someone will step up and the company will continue to make and sell product.

In our company (100,000+ IT users) there are approx. 10 IT top technical "experts" who whilst each have several deep knowledge areas also have the broad technical and company knowledge to understand how the IT works in a global company. Most of us ~10 are now over 50, have 20+ years of service, and none of us are very good at writing things down!

Once I leave I will not look back, I've seen too many people coming back who find that nothing has changed in the reasons why they left in the first place.

My OH took redundancy from the same company after 33 years, is now working in a completely different job two days per week and enjoying the 5 day "weekend". My dilemma with taking a similar part time job would be: do I work the same days of the week as my OH, or not?:think::think::)
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    GazHol wrote: »
    none of us are very good at writing things down!

:shocked:

<picks up clue bat>

• saver861
    Options
    Yes, and I do try to stir things up, but it's not a matter of them using the product and would instead involve them working on totally different aspects of the design and implementation of the product.

We've pretty much exhausted the scope of this exchange but if I were 'troubleshooting' your situation from this distance and on the basis of a few forum posts, I would have a few conclusions.

Speaking from the 'experience' of two years in retirement, I would wholly advocate it. In that time I don't believe I have had even a moment of regret.

For anyone who is already in a financial position where they can take retirement, then that would be the option. One more year, additional pay offs etc are merely adding more numbers to the already adequate number.

I think you are misguided on the basis that the company and your teams depend on you. Clearly when a considerable amount of knowledge and experience goes out the door, it does leave a vacuum. However, if the internal training, development and recruitment is adequate, then this experience will be replaced. If any company is heavily dependent on any one individual, then it is putting the company in jeopardy and it should have adequate continuity plans.

Retirement decisions will always be a very personal decision for those lucky enough to have the choice. It does seem though that for most people who take the plunge, the vast majority, with the value of hindsight, say they made the right decision.
  • GazHol
    GazHol Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :shocked:

<picks up clue bat>

I do remember one guy who left in the 1990's having to sit and talk into a video camera for the week before he left. Those video tapes will still be in a cupboard somewhere... :rotfl:
  • saver861
    Options
    Most of us ~10 are now over 50, have 20+ years of service, and none of us are very good at writing things down!

That will be interesting for someone .... :D

That said, the sorted the Millenium bug and even less was written down for those systems.
    Once I leave I will not look back, I've seen too many people coming back who find that nothing has changed in the reasons why they left in the first place.

Same here .... and all those ex colleagues who told me they would miss me terribly probably forgotten my name by the end of the first week, apart from just a few who said it and meant it and kept it touch.
    My dilemma with taking a similar part time job would be: do I work the same days of the week as my OH, or not?:think::think::)

'Not' is the answer you are looking for there I do believe!!!! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure