MSE PPI: Were you convinced you had no PPI - but claimed anyway and found you did?

Options
Hi Forumites!

As the deadline gets closer, we want to hear as many of your PPI reclaim success stories as possible.

Were you convinced you had no PPI - but claimed anyway and found you did?

If so, how much did you get back?

Remember, time is running out to get your claims in - so check out our guide here.

:money:

- MSE Molly
9pq8rzqiakm0.png MSE's Academy of Money digital badge

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2019 at 4:26PM
    Options
    I was expecting 87p back from my first Barclaycard. The first time I used it i was shocked at the cost of insurance and cancelled it.

First Direct paid out £6500 and Capital One £90.
    B
  • commoditygirl
    Options
    I had originally made enquiries in 2014 to Barclays Bank with regards potential insurance mis-selling on numerous Business Loans between 2006 and 2008.
    All claims were upheld and they even looked into some old personal loans from the 1990's also which had a couple of linked PPI policies.

I was too embarrassed to contact other lenders to see if I had further policies as I was still repaying the debts.I had a huge amount of loans and credit cards, mainly to support previous business ventures.
    Having now repaid the debts I thought I would have a look through old statements I had retained form 2002 onward.
    I contacted every company directly I had ever had credit with earlier this year through their PPI checker service. I was convinced I may have had policies but, couldn't be sure.

I am so pleased I spent the time logging complaints, following them up and providing supporting evidence. All my complaints have been upheld:

CAPITAL ONE BANK LOANS- £6608
    BARCLAYCARD VISA-£4219 (with further redress being considered)
    IKEA-£110
    CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD-£299
    YORKSHIRE BS MPPI-£1190
    SANTANDER STORE CARD-£1495

TOTAL REDRESS TO DATE-£13,921

I am a firm believer that just because you had this insurance doesn't mean it was not suitable for you, therefore you do need to support your reasons for mis-selling.
    In my case it was certainly worth the effort and thanks to MSE I am very grateful I did not use a claims management company.
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    I am convinced I had PPI on all the loans I've never had and successfully not claimed on all of them. Will I get any free money?
  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 August 2019 at 9:05PM
    Options
    I still clearly remember paying 79p in PPI charges to RBS back in 1997-1998. I'd forgotten to clear the balance on a credit card by a few days.... the horror of it.!
    Out of morbid curiosity in the PPI complaint process i did ask RBS about it, a few months ago, but sadly they had no record of my account.
    I can't understand how little recollection people have for what was on their credit card statements (or peoples inability to calculate percentages and cross check their own loans for "hidden" PPI.
    Roll on August 29th...
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I claimed back the PPI I knew I had paid way back in 2011 - came to around £6k I think. With the deadline coming up I thought I may as well give my details to a claims company to see if they could find anything else - no win, no fee, so I figured I had nothing to lose if there was nothing there, but if they could find something I didn't know about, even with high charges, it would be worth it. I'm way too assiduous about shredding old paperwork to have records of this stuff.
    They've managed to find two things I had PPI on that I had no idea about that I would never have thought to claim on. One I know it will only be a small amount if they decide to refund me because going by the date it was taken out I think it was a "buy now, pay later" on a washing machine (over 20 years ago), that turned out to mean they'd signed me up for a store card but I never used it again. The other thing is a "loan" but I have no idea when or what that was - definitely not in years covered by a credit report though. No idea yet if these things will come to anything but I have been very impressed with how they've managed to ferret out some financial products that I had long since paid off and consigned to history.
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They only ‘ferreted them out’ because you told them where to ask.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • dander
    Options
    No, these weren't places I gave them. As I said, this was stuff I had no recollection of.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dander wrote: »
    No, these weren't places I gave them. As I said, this was stuff I had no recollection of.
    Now even if you win, you actually lose.

20%, plus VAT.
  • dander
    Options
    Now even if you win, you actually lose.

20%, plus VAT.

No, you're making a classic logical error here. (look at the concept of the Ultimatum Game related to Prospect Theory)

75% of something is more than 100% of nothing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dander wrote: »
    75% of something is more than 100% of nothing.
    I remain unconvinced. The Claims firm did nothing you could not have done yourself and for free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure