PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 July 2019 at 9:42AM
    pattypan4 wrote: »
    I was just wondering about energy bills, those who live only on their own. I just entered my readings to octopus and it is £31 for electricity and £7 for gas = £37 for 4 weeks. I am new in my house so have no past bills. Can anyone compare with me?

I'm moving, so not really aware of how much I pay for things. I had a notional price in mind, but then I never bothered to read the bills or check anything at all.

Last week the meter was read.... which got me thinking about my final bill, so I logged on.

I can see from that, without any special/low packages or deals (standard tariff as I never got round to it), I pay £41/month for combined electricity and gas usage with British Gas.

I've been paying £41/month on a direct debit/standing order thing - and my account said I was just £1.37 out of being straight with them, which means that £41/month must be about right.

Gas CH and hot water, I have never used the full sized cooker. Most food's cooked in the microwave, or a tiny toaster oven, or a slow cooker and a toaster.

My house is a 2 bed 9 year old build, about 750 sq ft/70 sq meters in size. I am on the south coast where we don't know what ice/snow are :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning everyone,

Hello dekaspace welcome to CFO.:wave:

I'm a good more than that for my fuel pattypan overall, old (though well insulated) house, 3 bed, 2 public. I'm on the best deal I could find and I'm about £70 per month averaged plus woodburner costs. I'm fine with this given I'm in the "North", at home virtually all the time and frequently have the kids home. My bill for 13/06 to 12/07 was £52 included two spells of the kids being home which bumped it up a bit with all the extra showers etc.

Raining here this morning but still very warm. Forecast is for it to be wet for the next few days but hopefully there will be some dry spells as well as I've still some planting to do.
    Our lawyer is popping out this afternoon with papers for me to sign re my Dad's estate, I best crack on and have a quick hoover and clean the bathroom.
    Apart from that I think a lazyish day is on the cards after yesterday's exertions. I need to think of something for dinner that doesn't involve pasta or noodles as I seem to have had a lot of these recently, might just bung together a pot of savoury mince. :)
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, I think I`ll need to look at the electricity, must be all the small wash loads. They put me on £76 a month with a month up front, so I am well in credit for the coming winter

CBA day I think, I have jobs to do and am expecting parcels which should have arrived days ago, all needing assembly such as a storage box for the garden, towel rail to just stick up but I have to go over the tiles with surgical spirit. So far, protibix to start with hm almond milk, cherries and an apple for break, a small pack of marmite biscuits that I was saving for dgc. Now eating LO lettuce, sliced courgette, pinto beans and tomato. I am making sd bread and will be in full blown making mode in a few hours. I CBA that but I have visitors on friday who keep going on about my sd bread, got to keep them happy, sd with butter will be instead of cake anyway

I need to make soup but can`t see that happenng until tomorrow when the kitchen will be uber hot from the oven at 230 for the big bread bake. Always a surprise when I lift the lid up from the oven, hope I get 2 good looking boules

Later today will be yummy stuff, buttered scones, rhubarb crumble with soya cream, just because that is all I had in, tastes fine tbh
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Using my oven and small wash loads are my two electric usage "could do betters" but tbh I worked out to make a sd loaf costs 36p in electric and a quick wash 20p so it would be quite a bit of cutting back to make a massive impact on my bill so while I'm mindful I don't fret about it. I am good at not using the tumble drier much and not having the shower on for longer than needed as these are my two most expensive things to run.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Spicy sausage naan pizza will be lunch today.

I've been having to hold myself back from making it since about 9am this morning when I first fancied it :)

Not eaten today yet; looking forward to that pizza... ooh look, it's nearly a legitimate pizza eating time :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    OMG, so hot and muggy, I just went for a walk and my face is almost as red as my dress!:o:D

I had a toastie for breakfast. Don't really feel that hungry in this heat.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,706
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Good afternoon all,

caronc the syrup loaf is a hit with the HT. He's had a lot of migraines recently which I'm sure are because he only has a bowl of cornflakes for breakfast at 7am then nothing until his school lunch at 12:30. He won't have toast after his cereal but this morning I fed him a slice of buttered syrup loaf and he ate it. I can see it being a regular breakfast feature. We had a late lunch yesterday because he was sent home from school with a migraine so dinner was cheese on toast because neither of us were that hungry.

I started running again this morning which usually means that I eat better because food becomes fuel instead of just food. I had 2 small wholemeal toast with peanut butter for breakfast, I've just had poached egg on small wholemeal toast for lunch and dinner will be skinny sausages from the butcher (they don't leak fat when they're grilled), with a dry fried egg, the half a small pot of baked beans that is lurking in the fridge and some mushrooms which also need using up.

The HT will also be cooking for one - he will make his own dinner which is pasta and meatballs in tomato and basil sauce. The tomato and basil sauce is out of a jar - I buy it when it's £1 and it does about 3 portions for him.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 July 2019 at 5:42PM
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    caronc the syrup loaf is a hit with the HT. He's had a lot of migraines recently which I'm sure are because he only has a bowl of cornflakes for breakfast at 7am then nothing until his school lunch at 12:30. He won't have toast after his cereal but this morning I fed him a slice of buttered syrup loaf and he ate it. I can see it being a regular breakfast feature.
    That's nice to hear, one small step for Caron, one giant leap for HT:D

My Panny quickie loaf turned out yummy for lunch, used the W8rose brown flour again.

Next job is is on line meat shopping, hope they have the stuff I want this time, sold out when I looked a couple of weeks ago
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Dinner scoffed, my Morries RM chicken tikka ready frozen was delicious, I'll definitely buy that again
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Forumite
    CRANKY40 wrote: »

caronc the syrup loaf is a hit with the HT.
    Glad it got the thumbs up from the HT:)

Good evening everyone,

Housework got done, papers have been signed and savoury mince is simmering away. It's a real use up of lots lurking veg - onions, carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms, red pepper and butternut squash with around 1/2lb of mince in there somewhere;). I'll add the last portion of the bought green beans once it's nearly ready. Not the most summery of dishes but the weather is far from summery here today. If the rain had let up a bit I'd of popped to the veg patch and picked a courgette to add. I'll have some with nuke steamed new potatoes and needless to say I'm expecting LOs:).
    Lunch was a corned beef & salad sandwich with the last of a punnet of grapes and a couple of satsumas. I had sliced tomato and a peach with my breakfast toast so I'm romping ahead with my F&V intake today:D.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback