Aren't Bicycles Great.

1484950515254»

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cicatriz wrote: »
    In addition to other comments: in cold weather, decent gloves are essential. Hands get cold much more than any other part of the body cycling.

Generally, out of all the cycling-specific garments, gloves are the one thing I'd recommend to any new cyclist. Protection against the cold, reduce road vibration and if you ever do fall, they can protect your hand.

True -- I always wear short-fingered gloves when I'm cycling. They're sufficient in all but the coldest weather (4 degrees or below) where your finger tips get really cold.

I bought some full-fingered winter cycling gloves, but it's only been cold enough to wear them once or twice. And, after ten minutes of cycling, my hands just overheat no matter how cold it is.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    esuhl wrote: »
    True -- I always wear short-fingered gloves when I'm cycling. They're sufficient in all but the coldest weather (4 degrees or below) where your finger tips get really cold.

I bought some full-fingered winter cycling gloves, but it's only been cold enough to wear them once or twice. And, after ten minutes of cycling, my hands just overheat no matter how cold it is.

I use some Northwave gloves, thin enough to not over heat but decent in rain with good grip - seem to be out of stock now though. I get cold fingers without so don't tend to use mits until late spring as I commute daily

https://northwave.com/en/p/contact-touch-2/
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    esuhl wrote: »
    No cycle events for me, but I'm delighted to hear that it's this weekend the clocks go forward!

While I get on fine riding with lights I'm also looking forward to the clocks going forward and progressively moving towards no longer needing lights. They're not that much hassle to get charged and mounted but it's nice not to have to.
    I can't wait for it to get a bit warmer and brighter so it looks more tempting to jump on the bike. I really struggle through dark, cold, wet winters to find the motivation. Especially when the bike gets so muddy and needs cleaning with freezing cold water just as it's getting dark. Brrr!

The key for me is having a great group to ride with otherwise I just wouldn't do it, even last week I wasn't in the mood for going out and was actually relieved no-one in my group seemed to want to go out. Someone posted at the last moment to go out so I got ready and joined them then had a great ride which I was glad I went out for.

Generally the thought of going out is the hardest part but once you get out and get warmed up you don't really care how cold, wet or tough it is as it doesn't really matter and it's a liberating feeling you can being able to get out in any conditions and have a laugh.

I just give the bike a quick wash down after each ride as the mud comes off easily while it's still wet and just dry then oil the chain. There's not much point scrubbing down the rest of the bike as it's going to be just as muddy again a few days later.
    In anticipation of better weather, I've bled the brakes, cleaned the discs, adjusted the derailleurs and mech hanger, and got some new bearings to service the hubs. And I have yet another stem on order, in the hope that I will eventually get the bike to "fit" perfectly.

I should have been working on the summer bike as it's sat all winter doing nothing and we're now fast approaching the time it's going to be back in action. I dislike the brakes and drivetrain so meaning to change them over (even bought the brakes, they've been in the box eight months now.
    I can't wait to get the last few tweaks done, and for a long sunny day to give the bike (and me!) a proper ride! Roll on summer! :)

Getting a good fit can be tricky and I regret buying a bike online because even though I'm at the top of the height range for the size, the bike's top tube is too long. I've shortened the stem and made some other adjustments but it's not quite right.

I have hopefully corrected that problem with another new stem and umm well the rest of the bike as well:

20180323_173009-L.jpg

I said I'd never get a carbon bike but I got it at nearly half price and in my size, heavily reduced bikes are normally the really big or small sizes. Also only the carbon versions get the clever gadget on the front to isolate the vibration from the handlebars. The bike is off to a bad start as I've spent stupidly long thinking about the weight of bottle cages and to break it in, I've signed up for the Loch Ness sportive next month. Which I also said I'd never do.
  • ive not cycled while the weather has been so horrible, so its been a good few months since ive been out ... looking forward to some better weather so my 5km to work and 5km back wont be such hard work. too many hills here, and at my age its a bit of a trial in the cold!!
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2018 at 9:02AM
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    While I get on fine riding with lights I'm also looking forward to the clocks going forward and progressively moving towards no longer needing lights. They're not that much hassle to get charged and mounted but it's nice not to have to.

The key for me is having a great group to ride with otherwise I just wouldn't do it, even last week I wasn't in the mood for going out and was actually relieved no-one in my group seemed to want to go out. Someone posted at the last moment to go out so I got ready and joined them then had a great ride which I was glad I went out for.

Generally the thought of going out is the hardest part but once you get out and get warmed up you don't really care how cold, wet or tough it is as it doesn't really matter and it's a liberating feeling you can being able to get out in any conditions and have a laugh.

I just give the bike a quick wash down after each ride as the mud comes off easily while it's still wet and just dry then oil the chain. There's not much point scrubbing down the rest of the bike as it's going to be just as muddy again a few days later.

I should have been working on the summer bike as it's sat all winter doing nothing and we're now fast approaching the time it's going to be back in action. I dislike the brakes and drivetrain so meaning to change them over (even bought the brakes, they've been in the box eight months now.

Getting a good fit can be tricky and I regret buying a bike online because even though I'm at the top of the height range for the size, the bike's top tube is too long. I've shortened the stem and made some other adjustments but it's not quite right.

I have hopefully corrected that problem with another new stem and umm well the rest of the bike as well:

20180323_173009-L.jpg

I said I'd never get a carbon bike but I got it at nearly half price and in my size, heavily reduced bikes are normally the really big or small sizes. Also only the carbon versions get the clever gadget on the front to isolate the vibration from the handlebars. The bike is off to a bad start as I've spent stupidly long thinking about the weight of bottle cages and to break it in, I've signed up for the Loch Ness sportive next month. Which I also said I'd never do.

I think you should get some advice about changing the stem. Are you trying to get the handlebars a little closer by an inch or two ?.Although that stem looks OK. I was going to get one much shorter than that to bring me a little closer to the handlebars but moving the saddle as far forward as possible has helped.
    My bike is probably not quite right for me with its frame size but I read that changing the stem to a shorter length will make the steering very skittish.
    Looks like you could squeeze an inch on the seat moving a little closer.
    Sensible flat pedals. I could nt get on with cleats and they did ntt make any difference whatsoever to me in pedalling efficiency. I will not be engaging in any eyeballs out hard sprinting or pushing hard at any time as I cruise around at 14 mph. My flat pedals were also much lighter than the cleated ones at around 250 grams a pair.
    I use my bottle cage to carry a spare inner tube so I don`t have to use a saddle bag with its extra weight.So far since I ve bought my all carbon Planet X pro carbon bike 2 years ago I have nt had a puncture.
    Just bought a new pair of Victoria Gatorskin tyres for this year hoping to go another year without a puncture
    I ll have to look into something to isolate the handlebars a little. 23mm rock hard tyres transmits every little bump from the road and after the winter we have many more potholes around now then we did last year
  • Nasqueron
    I think you should get some advice about changing the stem. Are you trying to get the handlebars a little closer by an inch or two ?.Although that stem looks OK. I was going to get one much shorter than that to bring me a little closer to the handlebars but moving the saddle as far forward as possible has helped.
    My bike is probably not quite right for me with its frame size but I read that changing the stem to a shorter length will make the steering very skittish.
    Sensible flat pedals. I could nt get on with cleats and they did ntt make any difference whatsoever to me in pedalling efficiency. I will not be engaging in any eyeballs out hard sprinting or pushing hard at any time as I cruise around at 14 mph. My flat pedals were also much lighter than the cleated ones at around 250 grams a pair.
    I use my bottle cage to carry a spare inner tube so I don`t have to use a saddle bag with its extra weight.So far since I ve bought my all carbon Planet X pro carbon bike 2 years ago I have nt had a puncture.
    Just bought a new pair of Victoria Gatorskin tyres for this year hoping to go another year without a puncture
    I ll have to look into something to isolate the handlebars a little. 23mm rock hard tyres transmits every little bump from the road and after the winter we have many more potholes around now then we did last year

Is there really much difference in weight between a saddle bag with tools in and a plastic bottle tool kit which takes up your second drinks bottle slot? Is it really that much of an issue if you pootle around at 14mph? You can also get lighter cleat pedals if you're desperate to sheer off grammes here and there
  • Johnmcl7
    edited 1 April 2018 at 7:49PM

This is the new bike :)

I did shorten the stem on the other bike and it did help but the bike just felt a bit long, this one is a size down and feels a better fit but mainly bought it for the decouplers to make long rides more comfortable.

I was concerned about making the bike more skittish but I don't think there was that much difference in reality.

I was worried I'd get slaughtered for posting a picture of a decent carbon bike with flats :rotfl:

I spent a couple of years with clipless trying two different systems and never liked either plus aside from disliking the feel of the system I was slower and found it harder going. I do get that many people get on well with clipless for the opposite reason as they like the feel of them but it's not for me, I've managed 10 hour cycles fine on flats.

I carry a little backpack which has been one of my best purchases, it sits high up and although very small it can pack in a reasonable mount of items. Aside from a few maintenance bits and pieces I particularly like being able to carry different layers as even over a short distance conditions can change a lot. Being able to take a jacket off or on, change arm warmers etc. makes a real difference for me.

I gave the new bike a go today and was initially disappointed the decouplers didn't have as much effect as I thought they would but it makes a big difference especially being able to carry speed over rough roads. The biggest surprise was when getting off there wasn't the usual buzz in my arms or legs as I'm used to with the road bike.

Just wish it would warm up a bit as I've got to get some big rides in before the end of the month as I've foolishly signed up for a 70 mile sportive. I've done the route and can do the distance but need to get my speed up.
  • Johnmcl7
    After a short ride on the new bike I found the seat was awful so headed down to the LBS to pick a new seat as they had a 30% off sale. Irritatingly they had every size of the seat I wanted apart from the one I needed (even got my bum measured to check the size) but picked another one, went to buy it to find not only was the 30% off sticker on it and I assume every other seat no longer applicable but it had even gone up in price from the one printed on it.

If it was a seat I really wanted I would have pushed for the reduced price but decided instead to swap the seat over from the other road bike instead until I sort out another seat. I decided to properly break the bike in and fired into a 110 mile ride for which I badly overestimated my fitness and how much I needed to eat so died on the main hill climb around halfway through.

Stuck with it and was yet again rewarded with a weather forecast that was completely wrong so with around 40 miles to go the rain that wasn't coming started coming down heavier and heavier so by the time I was around 20 miles from home the roads were absolutely soaking and I was pretty cold and wet. The bike is looking a fair mess as well but I was stubborn and had to do it, on the plus side no knee or seat issues so the bike is all good.

20180407_181245-X2.jpg

The next day a local group were doing a social ride on a route I hadn't done, they've had their funding cut and are needing volunteers to take the rides instead so thought I'd better join them. Much better weather and good turn out as well:

20180408_120345-X2.jpg
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 8:37AM
    Well done for attempting 110 miles in a day. That is well out of my range now at my age. Excellent scenery photos I might add
    I managed 30 miles the other day, only my 4 th bike ride of the year since the weather warmed up,
    I m trying to get up to around managing 50 miles so I can join a local bike group who go out on Saturdays and do between 50 to 70 miles.
    Like you I can feel every bump in the roads .Rock hard narrow 23mm tyres don t help.
    I m trying something I used to do back in the 1980 s when I used to do long European bike tours on my own. From my house to Greece ( and a tour of Crete ) was my furthest tour where I averaged around 100 miles a day on my Jack Taylor Tour of Britain bike loaded with rear panniers and lightweight camping gear. Those days are over now.
    Today I found an old camping mat and cut a 6 inch by 5 inch length and wrapped it around the top bars and taped it, to makes the bars thicker but supremely comfy and hopefully will help with all the micro buzzy vibrations which come through the bars on long runs
    .I ll see how it go s .May try a sorbothane bar tape if this sponge camping mat does nt work.
    Reviews on seat posts say that that carbon fibre post is more comfy than than the usual alloy ones.
    Has anyone got any recommendation on a carbon post which is nt too expensive ?.
    The Chinese Ebay ones are around £12 to £15 and are probably plastic ones which could snap easily . Branded ones can be up to over £300 for the superlight ones.
    I m using the Planet X saddle which came with the bike, a Pro Carbon model and looking into something a little more comfy myself. Any recommendations for light weight ones.
    I still have my old, now knackered , Brooks Professional leather saddle which is unbeatable for comfort. Greg Lemond used one winning the Tour De France.
  • Nasqueron
    You don't need a £300 super light carbon seat post you can get them for less than £100 - just remember to watch how much you tighten it - use carbon paste to stop it slipping. Wouldn't trust knock-off carbon posts from China, but you can get no name brands like Deng Fu who are legit retailers with proper website ordering process

Have had people recommend double taping the bars for that extra bit of comfort
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure