Entering Car competitions question...

Options
Hi
I enter all the car comps that are posted , but ......?

If you dont have a full valid drivers license , can you still claim the prize ?

Obviously it wouldnt be driven until test is passed ...

Hope you can help , i would hate to win a car and them turn round and say NO . lol .

Comments

• jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    I enter all the car comps that are posted , but ......?

If you dont have a full valid drivers license , can you still claim the prize ?

Hope you can help , i would hate to win a car and them turn round and say NO . lol .

Sorry there's no one answer as different comps have different t&c's. Just read them before entering to be on the safe side.
    Good luck, but if you win one before me now I'll kick you in the shins. :p
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It just registering/taxing it that may be problematic but they may allow you to nominate another person.

As Jean states it's all down to the T&C's on each comp
  • vanpopple
    vanpopple Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 March 2012 at 2:27AM
    Options
    I think like the motorcycle comps unless you have a full licence
    you cant enter (that was on a mbike comp on here) they said the winner must show proof they have i think its cbt or something i cant remember ive never driven and nor has any of my family driven a motorbike-death traps...

Far too many unlicenced and uninsured idiots driving round ruining innocent peoples lives (i speak from personal experience as a family memeber was nearly killed by one of these).
    The only way you should be allowed to win the prize for a car is if you are fully licenced and must have proof of licence/insurance when you receive the car.
    So yes if you won then the company should only be allowed by law to give you the prize once you have these or a family member has them but it should then be registered in their name - but then that thus renders the entry void as that person wasnt the actual winner.
    Still comping, after 2 heart attacks 4th feb & 6th feb, and a stent put in.. 45 years old only:eek:
  • hollybellybootsy
    Options
    Always check the terms of the comp to see if you have to it normal states if you do "licence required" and i guess if it says nothing it wouldn't matter if you have not got a licence yet. Hope this helps :)
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    weeowens wrote: »
    It just registering/taxing it that may be problematic but they may allow you to nominate another person.

As Jean states it's all down to the T&C's on each comp

I've just been looking out of curiosity and it looks like you can buy, register, insure and tax your own car as a learner.
    From ukcisa.org - driving in the UK.

If you buy a brand-new car in the UK, the dealer will usually arrange for the car to be registered for you. You will need to provide documentary proof of your name and address. You must make sure that the details shown on your Registration Document/Certificate are correct. If the dealer does not register the car for you, make sure that they give you the appropriate application form so that you can apply yourself.

There are companies that will insure learners and this would lead to being able to tax the car.

The difference really is in the t&c's from what I can see.
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • vanpopple
    edited 5 March 2012 at 2:14AM
    Options
    Always check the terms of the comp to see if you have to it normal states if you do "licence required" and i guess if it says nothing it wouldn't matter if you have not got a licence yet. Hope this helps :)

But you would have to inform the dvla for a sorn document which means it cant be driven on the road until you do have the required driving docs, but if it didnt say in the t&cs then you could get it delivered then reregister it in your partner or other family memebrs name.

I just dont condone anybody who doesnt pay their way, its the ONLY reason insurance is so expensive for us legitmate drivers who are charged a fortune yet in 22 years of driving ive never caused a single accident or had any speeding points.

And by the way have you got an overwhelming feeling that youre going to win a car???????
    Still comping, after 2 heart attacks 4th feb & 6th feb, and a stent put in.. 45 years old only:eek:
  • vanpopple
    Options
    Hi

Sorry missed that what you said, but ive noticed on 90% of comps im entering that 'Prizes are NOT transferable'
    And as i only enter what id like or my partner would like or my mum and dad, some of the comps ive entered on my mums behalf (due to mothers day) ive made many many errors as i should be putting my mums name on the forms for prizes im trying to win her
    (example mother & daughters spa break) but its in my name cant remeber what the t&cs were but i suppose technically they could refuse to give the prize if i won by law.
    So as jean and weeowens say check the t&cs especially for the larger prizes..

But good luck, and if you do win a car make sure you come and show us...
    Because 'tobyjackjack' yours is the kind of spirit you need to win, you sound like you believe, and trust me if you believe youre already a winner
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure