MSE News: Halifax unveils debit card cashback, but is it worth switching to?

Options

Comments

• Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Link from the email to promote it:
    http://www.halifax.co.uk/aboutonline/earn-cashback/default.asp

"Just remember that offers will be matched to your debit or credit card spending"

Would be interesting to see what 'offers' Halifax match to my debit card profile, I only use it to pay for low amounts where paying by Credit card will endure a fee

Will probably be for random stores which I either never use or hardly ever use
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maestro. wrote: »
    Reading the article it sounds like far too much hassle. Not enticing me to switch.

Once you activate an offer, does it stay active forever, or only for a set time and then you have to active it again?
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Once you activate an offer, does it stay active forever, or only for a set time and then you have to active it again?

Offers are for limited times. Such as 10% back at a useless shop for the next two weeks.

I really doubt topcashback and quidco are concerned. This isn't about a customer researching the best way to buy something from the comfort of their own home, or remembering at the last minute before a purchase if there is cashback available. It's a poor effort from Halifax where you have to look at their offers, work out in advance if you're physically going to go to those shops and would actually spend money there, and then sign up.

Of course, you could simply sign up to all the offers and then continue spending in your normal pattern regardless, but it's too much effort.
  • alinwales
    alinwales Posts: 327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we have a 'loyalty' scheem at work where we can log in and get cashback from various places (presumably like the cashback sites).. however, 1. You don't get cashback if you have some other discount code, and 2. discount codes you can easily find online are usually better than (or the same) as the 'super-exciting cashback rate' that I could otherwise get.

My prediction: 15% will be for Bodyshop, which usually has anywhere between 20% and 40% off at any time if you find the right code.
  • ashleyriot
    Options
    I don't mind an odd hurdle or two for a good deal - it helps separate the wheat from the chaff but the majority of the list of companies represent more "luxurious" spending and there are a lot of steps involved in this.
  • angelsmomma
    angelsmomma Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I have a Halifax Reward account and I use online banking, so I'm eligible for this.

I don't use my debit card that often. I mainly use my credit cards for Nectar and M&S points, paying off the full balance at the end of the month.

If it so happens that I get an offer under this scheme and it's somewhere I want to shop at that time, it'd use it, as I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But as it stands, it wouldn't be enough to make me switch bank accounts.

This is me too although I also use a t*sco credit card on 0% interest for points too.

I can't see myself even bothering
    Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    I have a couple of Halifax accounts and also shop at Morrisons so any cashback is great. Unfortunately the offers do not yet seem to be available on the website which is frustrating since the amount of publicity
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a couple of Halifax accounts and also shop at Morrisons so any cashback is great. Unfortunately the offers do not yet seem to be available on the website which is frustrating since the amount of publicity
    All Halifax debit card customers with online banking will be able to earn up to 15% cashback from the end of September

As an aside, I have been getting 1% at Morrisons (and all other supermarkets) for the last 2 years, on my 123 credit card.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    As an aside, I have been getting 1% at Morrisons (and all other supermarkets) for the last 2 years, on my 123 credit card.

Yes I have an old Capital One credit card that pays 1% cashback on every purchase I make with it but if Morrisons offer more through The Halifax I'll use that when I can ;)
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Options
    So will we get offered 5% cashback at Morrisons if we normally shop at Morrisons, or if we normally shop at Sainsburys?
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure