MSE News: Avios vs its detractors - read the opposing views

Comments

• Trains are a fantastic way to travel - much less grief than airports, and more confortable than planes.

I agree, but only if they go where you want them to go .. and depinding on the train operator !
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,574 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Has anyone actually managed to book anything on the new Avios website yet? It just gives me 'no availability' for everywhere and then has a technical error.... Its been like this all week.

Managed to book a flight to Norway, leaving the day after next Wednesday's strike. Cost 15,000 Avios plus £27. Hope the booking is valid and the planes are in the right places!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Travel rewards programme Avios launched last week, replacing Airmiles. The principle change is collectors have to pay charges when redeeming flights, which were previously free.

My Grandma would have been greatly effected by the affect of these grammar errors by MSE writers.

For the record in this case it should be principal

(I've mixed up a couple of words for Effect. In a thread a couple of weeks back staffers mixed up effect/affect and when this was pointed out - not by me - Martin even wrote that they had reassured him they had got it right) ;)
  • I totally agree with the points raised on this forum, that especially for economy long-haul you really do lose out. I have flown free with Airmiles previously on Singapore Airlines to Brisbane (having used additional Airmiles to fly BA down to London from Manchester). I was pleased, free flight from converting my Tesco Vouchers and using my Airmiles Credit Card. I have since flown with Qatar Economy direct from Manchester to Melboure for £580 return. Avios are now suggesting that I use my miles PLUS pay taxes of around £500 to fly to Australia... When, throughout the year there are flights around the £600 mark would I do this, it just doesn't make sense!

I suppose another option would be to use my Avios to upgrade to Premium Economy/Business Class flight which would be a nice treat, although I suspect availability for these flights won't be good.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

I suppose another option would be to use my Avios to upgrade to Premium Economy/Business Class flight which would be a nice treat, although I suspect availability for these flights won't be good.

actually they normally are - i had ba miles & regularly paid premium economy & use miles to upgrade .... of course some places will be harder than others ....

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • I totally agree with the points raised on this forum, that especially for economy long-haul you really do lose out. I have flown free with Airmiles previously on Singapore Airlines to Brisbane (having used additional Airmiles to fly BA down to London from Manchester). I was pleased, free flight from converting my Tesco Vouchers and using my Airmiles Credit Card. I have since flown with Qatar Economy direct from Manchester to Melboure for £580 return. Avios are now suggesting that I use my miles PLUS pay taxes of around £500 to fly to Australia... When, throughout the year there are flights around the £600 mark would I do this, it just doesn't make sense!

You are right, it doesn't make sense. The same applies going to the USA 40,000 Avios plus taxes of around £300 when BA actually sell the same flight for £394 anyway! Crazy.

If you do use them to upgarde a flight, dont forget the taxes increase as well .. oh did Avios forget to tell us that when they pushing all the errr what they percive as positives.

I have managed to book over 38,000 miles worth of longhaul flights to ensure i get the best value for my Airmiles and will be booking one more to the US before the deadline passes.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You are right, it doesn't make sense. The same applies going to the USA 40,000 Avios plus taxes of around £300 when BA actually sell the same flight for £394 anyway! Crazy.

Not really, the 'same' flight is £1200, so you 40k is worth about £900 on that occasion.
    If you do use them to upgarde a flight, dont forget the taxes increase as well .. oh did Avios forget to tell us that when they pushing all the errr what they percive as positives.

Only for economy to economy plus; less so on economy plus to business. However that's a government thing, so if you dont like it then write to your MP.

Miles for upgrade is something which wasn't available under airmiles, and it's a fantastic use of your points with BA :)
    best value for my Airmiles

Depends on your view. I used 150k BA miles in the summer for two returns in First worth £10,000
    Legal team on standby
  • The people that don't like the new scheme have little or no value to Avios/ BA etc. Like it or not, BA wish to focus on those that, as well as benefiting from the scheme, also bring in revenue. Sounds like a good business decision to me.
  • Yes I agree it will be good to upgrade with Avios, something I could never have dreamed of before, however for those of us who aren't frequent flyers and were saving all of our points for a particular 'free flight', the new system is not good. I personally would rather a free flight with no taxes or fees.

Airmiles said an upgrade would only cost 50,000 Avios, they didn't mention any fees to pay. Also you can only use Avios to upgrade one class, e.g. Economy to Prem Economy, PE to Business, etc...
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You are actually only 25k to upgrade from PE to business. No increase in tax (I believe).
    Legal team on standby
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport