I will cut my coat according to my cloth. {Edited by Forum team} 2019

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's good to hear ds followed your list and got a number of jobs done. At least now the garden is ready you've one last thing off the worry list. Do you have a date booked yet for the log cabin delivery?

I'm not sure you'll ever need any more sewing machine bags once you're working from home but Debbie Shore has a free tutorial on her blog for a strong bag with a reinforced base and metal studs on the bottom . Just google debbie shore sewing machine bag and it should bring it up. I'm sure you're already familiar with her work as apart from her blog she's on fb, instagram and other sites .

I have some of her books including sewing room accessories. The half yard series are good for making use of remnants etc. I had a look at her most recent garden one and wasn't impressed . There's a rather nice garden tepee but I think most people who sew already know how to make one of them. The most bizarre thing in the new book features large outdoor garden pots swathed in fabric. The mind boggles on that one.

Anyway get those feet up aim for an early night . Hope tomorrow goes well.
    pollyx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I need to double check with the company on Monday but I think it is due next week.
    I need to double check the footings size and let next door know. I meant to do that yesterday but I have been so busy that I forgot and I am not sure they are open today.

I have a married couple coming to class today. The chap came on the basics class a few weeks ago. The lady has been on several of the classes in the past few years, she is making the trousers from a Tilly and the buttons fabric but I am not sure what he is going to do, as he is a last minute addition because the course was under subscribed. I would usually have cancelled it, but the lady is a regular and had a brain injury and is relearning so I am happy to do it for her on a more personal level at her pace.
    Despite lots of interest etc I am not getting firm bookings so I plan to make this the last one and cancel the next advertised ones, and use my Saturday to start seriously packing up the top floor. Time is galloping by and everywhere is so full still.
    I can't bring stuff home yet as there really is no room. I need to be ruthless and that's just not easy for me.
    There are a lot of old sewing machines, and I really won't have room for them, I already gave my brother the treadle machine earlier in the year.
    I think I will have to test each one and see if I can sell them or take them to the recycling place. But not today.
    Unfortunately one of my regular customers came in for a fitting or two yesterday and brought back a dress that the other lady was supposed to have done while I was on holiday, it was in a bunch of things last time, but she had not finished the hem! She had cut it but not sewn it!! The lady was very nice about it, but I am not happy. Monday I will be talking to her, and I will have to oversee her work, as that's several big mistakes in the last few weeks. If I wasn't closing soon I think I would be seriously thinking about giving her notice to leave. Before she ruins anything else or my reputation.

The work is coming in thick and fast, and the money is starting to follow it. I am back in the Black with this months bills all covered and I am beginning to put 10% away in the savings account for the business again.
    That makes me happy.
    Now if the weather would improve we can put stuff on rails etc out the front of the shop and that always picks up sales.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Mooloo, Hurrah! to being back in the black but I know it has only come about due to your very hard work.

The simple fact is that you are currently housing and feeding 2 extra little uns and an adult with little/no financial recompense :( Your son should be putting his rent and board ahead of everything else (other than the debt repayments until that is sorted out) but it seems he prefers to have 'fun' instead. Well, don't we all? but most of us live in the real world and know that is not how things work!

Speaking of the debts, I gather that your son hasn't made any effort to approach an agency that could help with this? I'm sorry to say that I don't think he will until/unless you find a way of forcing the issue. This certainly isn't how things should be but it seems to be the way they are :(

I'm glad the footings have been done for when the cabin arrives, hope that it helps to cross something off that enormous 'to do' list. Also hope that you manage to carve out some 'me time' over the weekend, that elastic band looks perilously near to snapping from where I am standing! (((hugs)))
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just noticed I wrote one last thing off the worry list. Obviously the worry list is longer. I was posting and about to speak to dd about whether she should leave taking the methotrexate this weekend as the last two weeks it's given her a real kicking and she's been sick and flaring constantly. Dr advises leaving it in these situations.

I know you are overwhelmed with work so can't give notice to staff but my goodness she doesn't help . Luckily most of your customers know your work and will let you sort things. Having to yet again oversee everything she works on takes you away from your own tasks. It's lucky you'll be relocating soon. Word of mouth can make or break a reputation but you have loyal customers thankfully.

You've done really well earnings wise although you've worn yourself out doing so. Keep the purse tightly closed.

Re the sewing machines we had a wool shop here for over 40 years . The husband sold , maintained and repaired sewing machines including mine. Everything from new to the old hand Singers and ones he'd fitted with a motor. The shop window was always full of them. You may already have them in your window but he got the majority of sales from passers by.

Once you've serviced yours it could be worth placing an ad in your local free newspaper if you have one. If you're advertising a few you will be charged as a trader but the rates here are minimal. There's also local fb etc. I would be trying to get some cash rather than taking them for recycling . Every penny helps .
    We have a recycling for charity workshop here and it's a wonderland of all sorts lots of it vintage. I have been known to stand stroking the old Singers but dare not get another one having built up a mini mountain in the past all of which have now been passed on.

Lovely to read about the couple at your classes , he must be a lovely man to be so supportive to his wife . My late 1st husband suffered a severe brain injury and it's a hard road for all. You've no doubt sorted him with a project now . Not knowing how much he's picked up from the basics course it's hard to say. I would go for a simple cushion either the flap type or tie one to avoid zips. He could make his and hers as a reminder of their joint venture.

I hope the day flies by.
    pollyx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Savvy_sewing
    We had a good morning. Although they didn't finish, they went home and continued to work on their projects. He brought the Sewing Bee 1st book pj's. So he was making them, slightly challenging with stretch fabric but he was happy with how far he got in the time. We had been talking about walking feet and one of the blogs I followed had a section on them so I sent her a link to it in the evening and she said they were nearly finished and joked they had an afternoon of sewing machine wars.
    So good to inspire them.

I brought home a trolley full again, but I took last night off and watched TV. You can tell DS was at work as I got to watch TV.
    I have had a slow start to the day, savouring the peace and quiet. But I am about to sew my jobs now.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Mooloo, it took me a while to work out what you meant by 'walking feet'. Can you tell that I am not a sewer?! :)
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Savvy_sewing
    The boys are back, so my sewing is away.
    I have some chicken and veg roasting in the oven, the last wash hanging in the bathroom.
    I have done two hours of sewing, but some jobs are just prepared ready for the next stage.
    The lad is having a temper tantrum because he is not getting his own way.
    I see a lot of bad behaviour the day he comes back from his mother.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Did I tell you that twin 2 wants to come home?
    She's asked me to research somewhere to live, but I cannot see her being able to find cheap enough housing up here. I certainly can't afford any large deposits on private rentals. I am at my limit and a little beyond at the moment.

I am tired now. I have a bridesmaid dress fitting in about an hour and a half. The one that I suggested got the next size up, as it was a huge task to alter it with panels and loops etc otherwise. But time is running short to get it done. Hence my going to them today .
    Tomorrow I will plan to stay at the shop later, until I have sewn my quota and made sure that I don't miss any deadlines. It is quite scary that the list of jobs is at 49 jobs to do.
    O Friday about 3.15 I had a request to shorten a Eve dress for a bride who was getting married the next day. ! I had to say No. can't be done.
    I was not going to take the extra pressure. I'm under enough at the moment.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,130 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Glad that you said no to the dress.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Mooloo just delurking to say that my little grandson will often have a temper tantrum when he is hungry. DD finds he needs his tea quite early on school days as he often doesn't eat all his lunch.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family