Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    • 654Posts
    • 404Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback
    • 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback 9th Feb 15 at 10:18 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

GB Energy Supply

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:15 PM.
Page 3
    • slb2008
    • By slb2008 8th Jun 15, 6:22 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    slb2008
    Have recently signed up with them. They asked me to submit initial meter readings online. Their website initially informed me I had not submitted a reading. On choosing to submit a reading, it told me the readings were up to date and would not allow submission of a new reading.

I then phoned them. They do provide a freephone number and it is open until late evening. I got through in a few seconds to someone who apologies for this problem and took the readings.

So mixed results thus far but my experience is better than some are reporting.

26-jun-15: They emailed me to say the transfer was nearly complete but did not follow up with a second message to say it had completed. Three weeks later the previous supplier (Ovo) made another direct debit charge, though my account was already in credit. However, it seems that this was Ovo's fault not GB Energy and Ovo have agreed to refund the charge.

GB Energy's website does seem unreliable and customer services sometimes answer the phone but say that cannot help since the computer system is down. Time taken to answer the phone varies but in my experience it is a slightly better than other suppliers.

So, not perfect but service reasonably ok and the prices are good.
    Last edited by slb2008; 26-06-2015 at 6:56 PM. Reason: Updates from 3 weeks in
  • pi55edoffmoneysaver
    Useless jokers
    Just tried to sign up with these guys. First they told me it'll take 4 weeks, then that my house's address doesn't exist, and finally that I can signup on their website, which currently doesn't work (for me at least).

I think I'll stick with good energy or ecotricity for now until there's some evidence these newer small companies can tell their ar53 from their elbow.

My advice to anyone reading this: avoid them for a year at least, then check back for more reviews.
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 10th Jun 15, 3:03 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    To add my experience of GB Energy...
    the switch itself has not gone well, as (as usual with every supplier I've switched to) there is an undisclosable problem to do with my gas meter, I really cannot fathom the problem, so only electricity is showing in the web portal.
    As for the web portal, it is useless. You can't and never have been able to leave meter readings. Nor do anything else useful for that matter.
    However, you can email meter readings to them, they tell me.
    Whenever I email customer services I do get a prompt reply. But as the reply is always along the lines of "our system doesn't work", it should be automated!

The delays in the switch completing means I'm currently paying both old and new supplier for gas and electric. How long will this continue? Anybody's guess.

So, overall frustrated but the price is the lowest out there so at least that's OK, for now.

I think any attempt to increase their prices with all the current problems should be met with derision!

Still, better than the Co-Op Energy debacle, with them you can't even view your account nor leave readings and it takes over 20 days for them to reply.

SO in summary: doubly expensive for an unknown period, frustrating in that the web portal doesn't work, but cheap.

Caveat emptor
    Let me Google that for you...
  • jules456
    I have tried 3 times this evening to obtain a quote from the GB Energy website. I am currently with CO-OP energy but for some reason the GB Energy website doesn't recognise my current tariff and I even tried putting in a different supplier to see if I can get a quote out but their site keeps freezing when trying to obtain quotations. Wondering if anyone else has found this problem and whether it is best to ring the supplier instead of obtaining a quote on line. I can obtain a quote from a Comparison website but there isn't the facility to accept the quote. Also wondering if it a sign not to bother and go elsewhere!
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 11th Jun 15, 11:12 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    The website didn't work for me either. I did get a quote but then couldn't actually sign up, so I called them and did it over the phone. Have now received the welcome email with date of 11 July given which will be over 6 weeks from application. I thought there were rules about how long it now could take and it was less than that. But I'll keep going for now.
    • ph80
    • By ph80 17th Jun 15, 11:19 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ph80
    UPDATE:

My switch happened on 30 May and whilst my old supplier are messing them about by not providing technical details of my gas meter, according to GBES, I am switched for both electricity and gas.

I had problems with the website...Firstly, I had not received login details so I used the forgot password link...that worked and I could gain access. However, once into my account there was no submit meter readings button. I called GBES and spoke to a lady who took my meter readings. She said that the submit meter readings button would now appear in my account...I logged back in and it's there.

I have to say that communication hasn't been great, however, they are new and I am happy to give them a bit of time to resolve their issues. I spoke with GBES last week and they were training new staff - I only know as I asked a hard question of the poor girl who answered the phone and she told me she was training and that she couldn't answer my question. However, she very quickly put me through to someone who could help.

My old supplier, Spark Energy, has nearly £200 of my money and hasn't yet produced a final bill. This doesn't surprise me as I left due to the continuous problems with bills. Does anyone know how long they have to refund me or produce a final bill?
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 17th Jun 15, 6:57 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    There have been issues with the web site, but my own personal experience has been that they are responsive to phone requests/queries and do get things sorted out.

So far the switch process for me has gone OK:-
    • applied online (electricity only) 22 April
    • welcome pack received by email 22 April quoting switch date of 22 May
    • first direct debit taken as expected on 13 May
    • opening meter reading requested 21 May - given to them by phone due to web site lack of functionality
    • supply commenced 22 May
    • statement for period 22 May to 1 June (using estimated 1 June reading) received by email 10 June
    Overall - not 10/10, but a lot better so far than many other suppliers.
    sidbee
    • deanos
    • By deanos 30th Jun 15, 9:03 PM
    • 10,946 Posts
    • 5,605 Thanks
    deanos
    My gas was meant to switch 5th June and still waiting (electric went as planned) , apparently im not on the national grid ??? so makes the switch more complicated and longer , anyone heard of this excuse
  • mike554
    After doing a moneysavingexpert comparison I decided to change both gas and electricity to GB Energy. I filled in the online application. I heard nothing for about a month so I called the call centre and a very nice lady told me that their system was down so she couldn't advise me about my application status but took contact details and told me that someone would get back to me. That was a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have heard nothing. I sent an email early this week and have still heard nothing. Does this company actually do business?
    • town cryer
    • By town cryer 6th Jul 15, 8:47 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    town cryer
    GB Energy, how much worse can they get!
    Having been messed about from the start by GB Energy during my switch from British Gas I wondered whether to cancel the transfer but decided to see what happens. They eventually emailed to say the switch would take place on 2nd July and they would email me for my readings on 1st July. I heard nothing so on the 2nd I took the readings anyway and emailed them. By the 5th I had had heard nothing so I emailed again - nothing, so I've emailed again today - still no response. Both GB Energy and British Gas are taking payments fom my bank account but I have no idea which of them is my supplier. I suppose I will have to phone but with emails I have proof of what was said and when.
  • Reigate4
    I switched in March to GB Energy and they make Scottish Power look competent. Numerous inadequacies - switching without final meter readings, no confirmation of switch and requesting meter readings on line twice when on line system is not funcitional. I found a card requesting meter reading yesterday when I got home. I read the meter, and went online to enter, previouly I had received an email confirming the system was now operational, but the system would not accept the meter reading as they were slightly lower than the readings taken 3 days earlier which is nonsense as there was no reading taken.
    I ring up customer services only to be advised there are issues with the website again which is being looked at by the technical department. When I asked why I had not received an email requesting meter readings, I was told one was sent on the 23rd June and after shelooked at the system was advised "it had failed" and no one was aware or checks these issues.
    I requested the telephone number for Head Office but this could not be provided because of data protection.
    SHAMBOLIC is the word I would use to describe the performance so far and will now look to find a new supplier.
    Last edited by Reigate4; 07-07-2015 at 9:46 AM. Reason: typo
  • Richardconsults
    I have recently signed up, rather concerned, the savings are large, however this is a web / internet only service and their website does not work, so no way of checking your account nor getting statements online. I have given the company until the end of July to perform and will then change suppliers if I cannot get bills or check the account
    • dugongs2
    • By dugongs2 7th Jul 15, 2:45 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    dugongs2
    still no statement
    i have been with gb for 3 months and can after much messing around with their customer services access the online portal to enter meter readings.

But have never received a statement - I emailed a week ago asking for the statements to be sent but not heard anything.
  • JBH100
    Joined a month ago, 1st impressions not good. Customer service hours are too short & when you do get through the impression is of a very small, somewhat unprofessional operation. Website is unusable and emailed queries appear not be being dealt with. DDs are taken in advance which is somewhat unusual. I'll leave it a couple more months & if they don't improve I'll switch again! Hopefully OFGEM are watching their performance closely!
  • charltonjohn63
    after 4 months their website is still absolutely useless. am unable to sign in without resetting my password every time I try and when I get in I am unable to see bills or statements.

They are cheaper and switching to them was easy but they need to get their act together soon otherwise I will change to someone else.
    • 0ct0push
    • By 0ct0push 28th Jul 15, 6:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    0ct0push
    Can they do that? Are they allowed to take money before you're a customer and before you've used any gas and electricity???
    • Mac9091
    • By Mac9091 31st Jul 15, 8:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mac9091
    Save £300, nice one. Only problem, doesn't seem to be available in Scotland.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 1st Aug 15, 6:08 AM
    • 10,946 Posts
    • 5,605 Thanks
    deanos
    As above cant see bills online, rang yesterday and asked for a up to date bill, said i would receive in a few minutes and its hasn't arrived hours later, really dont like not knowing if im in credit/debit
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 2nd Aug 15, 7:31 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    Best thing to do is to take your reading and work out what it costs yourself. I do this on a spreadsheet so that I know where I am.
    • dugongs2
    • By dugongs2 3rd Aug 15, 2:45 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    dugongs2
    have now received email statements
    i have been a customer of gb for a few months now and have been content to see how they develop. but i was hoping that by now the website issues would be resolved and at least a statement would be available.

Currently tbat is not the case but after 3 emals to customer services they finally managed to download the statements and email them to me. It all looks fine so will leave for another few months and hope they sort out their website.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,079Posts Today

7,507Users online

Martin's Twitter