Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greg.frances
    • By greg.frances 5th Oct 19, 12:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    greg.frances
    Gumtree - PayPal scam - Laura Paige
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:17 PM
    Gumtree - PayPal scam - Laura Paige 5th Oct 19 at 12:17 PM
    01 Oct 2019
    I just received a reply to my Gumtree ad. I think it's a scam from laurapaige011@gmail.com...

"Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i actually want to buy it for a relative who is in need of it, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it, sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to me being work offshore. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and I'l pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?"

Don't know, but sounds like they want an address, email and paypal details to scam you.
Page 1
    • jeffuk
    • By jeffuk 5th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    jeffuk
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    https://help.gumtree.com/s/article/PayPal-Scams
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 5th Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    Total scam. Easy to spot.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 5th Oct 19, 12:53 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:53 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:53 PM
    Course they do, gumtree is intended for people to sell in person, collection and cash payment.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Oct 19, 12:54 PM
    • 62,968 Posts
    • 45,341 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:54 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 12:54 PM
    Total scam. Easy to spot.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    I'm always surprised to see scumbag scammers still trying this old scam, I can't imagine many will still fall for it.

For newbies who don't see the obvious scam, read your PayPal transaction page or emails you get when you send something. For seller protection you must have proof of delivery to the address they give you to,post to, collected items, or items sent to another address are not covered.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 5th Oct 19, 1:01 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 5th Oct 19, 1:01 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 1:01 PM
    I know, must still work though.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 5th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 16,767 Posts
    • 23,256 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 5th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    Tell them courier collection is fine but you don’t do PayPal for collection so they will have to pay via bank transfer.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Oct 19, 1:25 PM
    • 62,968 Posts
    • 45,341 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Oct 19, 1:25 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 1:25 PM
    Tell them courier collection is fine but you donít do PayPal for collection so they will have to pay via bank transfer.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    There is absolutely no point in wasting time talking to these scammers, they rarely expect to get any responses, and will have hundreds of other emails out there waiting for a victim to respond.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 5th Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    • 11,378 Posts
    • 13,011 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 5th Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    01 Oct 2019
    I just received a reply to my Gumtree ad. I think it's a scam from laurapaige011@gmail.com...
    "Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i actually want to buy it for a relative who is in need of it, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it"
    Originally posted by greg.frances
    Many scammers are not exactly original when it comes down to it:
    https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Payments/Is-this-a-Paypal-Scam-on-Gumtree/td-p/976894
    Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it
    Or here:
    https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2075443/beware-of-scams-when-selling-vehicles

And many many more times:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Great!+please+consider+it+sold+as+i+am +willing+to+pay+your+full+asking+price%22&oq=%22Gr eat!+please+consider+it+sold+as+i+am+willing+to+pa y+your+full+asking+price%22&aqs=chrome..69i57.7793 j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    • PiotrStockport
    • By PiotrStockport 16th Oct 19, 2:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PiotrStockport
    I got the same text and went down to contact the buyer wanting my fridge for £250 on gumtree. Exchanged couple of emails and finally she told me she's going to pay using PayPal and send courier as she's disabled. Ok I said. Next minute email from PayPal saying that I've got payment of £550 but it's not available until I transfer £300 to a courier. And the disabled lady asked me to do it as she can't pay herself due her disability.
    Email from PayPal is fake. It looks as it's send from service@paypal.co.uk but if you click it it shows original email and it was paypalservicesmailcare@gmail.com; but might be whatever but not PayPal.co.uk.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 16th Oct 19, 2:52 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    lindens
    I got the same text and went down to contact the buyer wanting my fridge for £250 on gumtree. Exchanged couple of emails and finally she told me she's going to pay using PayPal and send courier as she's disabled. Ok I said. Next minute email from PayPal saying that I've got payment of £550 but it's not available until I transfer £300 to a courier. And the disabled lady asked me to do it as she can't pay herself due her disability.
    Email from PayPal is fake. It looks as it's send from service@paypal.co.uk but if you click it it shows original email and it was paypalservicesmailcare@gmail.com; but might be whatever but not PayPal.co.uk.
    Originally posted by PiotrStockport
    Someone tried this scam on me about 20 years ago lol. as old as the hills (except it was a cheque not paypal)
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Oct 19, 4:29 PM
    • 62,968 Posts
    • 45,341 Thanks
    soolin
    Someone tried this scam on me about 20 years ago lol. as old as the hills (except it was a cheque not paypal)
    Originally posted by lindens
    I think I first saw this scam as a seller around 20 years ago as well, a cheque for me as well. The scammers are getting lazy now.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • in_the_Cotswolds
    • By in_the_Cotswolds 17th Oct 19, 7:10 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    in_the_Cotswolds
    Always go through your Paypal account. Then when they complain you haven't sent it say I'm still waiting for the money to go into my account.

• bris
    • By bris 17th Oct 19, 8:55 PM
    • 8,932 Posts
    • 7,836 Thanks
    bris
    When you send out a thousand scam hooks a day it doesn't take long for a few to bite.

These scams still work on a few because they are desperate to sell and don't live online like a lot of us so aren't really up to speed on these types of scams.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

6,270Users online

Martin's Twitter