Average Electricity Costs Poll

scattycat_3
scattycat_3 Posts: 509 Forumite
How much do you spend per month on electricity?

is it
  1. less than £15
  2. less than £20
  3. less than £25
  4. less than £30
  5. more than £30
Maximum (in Winter) Minimum (in Summer), or does it hardly change in your house?

Tick two boxes please, one for Winter and one for Summer when you vote. Remember as Rodger stated in the deleted (non poll thread), please enter the Actual cost, not your direct debit payment

If it is a success then maybe Gas next :eek:
Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com

How much do you spend per month on Electricity 584 votes

Winter, less than £15
2% 13 votes
Winter, less than £20
4% 26 votes
Winter, less than £25
6% 40 votes
Winter , less than £30
7% 42 votes
Winter, more than £30
30% 179 votes
Summer, less than £15
7% 42 votes
Summer, less than £20
5% 31 votes
Summer, less than £25
6% 40 votes
Summer, less than £30
7% 43 votes
Summer, more than £30
21% 128 votes

Comments

• roger56
    roger56 Posts: 478 Forumite
    What happened to the sticky re this poll and my comments on getting a meaningful poll for moneysavers? It appears to have been removed, any reason?
  • Mine was £7 a week on Prepayment during the winter & less than £5 a week during the summer. Have now *eventually* changed to a normal meter so will see how much it is now.

Yvonne
    2023 wins - Rice Krispies, Avene Micellar Gel, Barbie Toy, £20 Apple Gift Card, KFC 6 piece bargain bucket, Chloe Nomade perfume, Barbie Toy (second one), Sanctuary Spa Sleep Balm, E45 Moisturising Lotion, Trolls Hamper, 12 Tonie Characters, Sure deodorant, Good Home Utensil holder, £5 Costa Gift Card, Neutrogena Micellar Jelly, Soap & Glory Mascara, Persil capsules,  
  • scattycat_3
    scattycat_3 Posts: 509 Forumite
    Rodger you had a pm explaning reason at time. Post duplicated in error :o
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • I live in the 3 bed terrased mine is more than 60 pound a month by direct debit, and i still getting into debt. My last house was all elec no gas and only cost me 25 a month have contacted power gen about this but all they send me is a booklet how to save money, my appliences are mostly a rated i cook and heat water gas, and as for instalation it is a housing assositian propertie. Anybody any ideas?
  • donnalou
    donnalou Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know how you feel I've had the same problem with Powergen i moved 5 months ago i live in the same size property ( a small flat)I used to pay £28 a month by direct debit i've just recieved my 1st bill for 5 months at £251 over £50 a month, the only difference being i now have an electric cooker.
  • Perhaps cost per month is not the best way to compare. What about taking into account the units used and cost per unit.

I have worked out that I use an average of 17 units a day and the cost per unit is 9.95p (N.Ireland Electricity). I have solar water heating, oil heating, gas hob, electric oven. I have energy saving bulbs everywhere - even outside. My last electricity bill was over £170. I'm hoping to get it down a bit.
  • prompted by this thread, I decided to do a bit of investigation of my Electric bill.

Is there anyone who can help and give some guidance on what should be an average usage of units or cost?

I live in a 3-bed mid-terrace and over the last 12 months the average is 34 units a day working out at £68 a month. Surely, I am way too high????

any advice???

cheers.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    prompted by this thread, I decided to do a bit of investigation of my Electric bill.

Is there anyone who can help and give some guidance on what should be an average usage of units or cost?

I live in a 3-bed mid-terrace and over the last 12 months the average is 34 units a day working out at £68 a month. Surely, I am way too high????

any advice???

cheers.

What do you use for heating rooms and water?

How many people in house?

If you do not heat rooms with electricity it is largely irrelevant what size/type house you have.

365 x 34 = 12,410kWh which is 3-4 times the average for houses that do not use electricity for heating/water.

12,410 units at, say, 7p = £868 which is approx in line with your £68 a month so it seems like you are not on Economy 7.

If you do use electricity for heating/water you should consider E7
  • Thanks for the reply. Cardew.

We have 2 people in the house all year, and two children come home, when the universities break up.

Our heating is gas.

I will phone my supplier BritishGas for some advice and guidance on average comsumption data.

I will let you know...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Thanks for the reply. Cardew.

We have 2 people in the house all year, and two children come home, when the universities break up.

Our heating is gas.

I will phone my supplier BritishGas for some advice and guidance on average comsumption data.

I will let you know...

Well you are certainly using a huge amount of electricity.

3 people in my house and no real attempt to economise - 2 fridges, dishwasher, freezer, dryer, washing machine, electric cooker etc etc and you use double our consumption.

It is difficult to see how you could use that much.
    Thoughts:

You haven't got your immersion heater switched on have you?

Defective fridge or freezer? - seals gone and compressor running continuously.

It would be fairly easy to check by switching everything off and then switching them on item by item and check your meter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure