Shell BB, not in my area

sevenhills
sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Why are some services not offered in some areas?
I assume its the same for energy/telephone?

Surely the whole of england are covered by the same Openreach and the electricity/gas network?
I will never need to visit my BB or energy supplier and they will use Openreach or the national electricity/gas network.
I signed up with Shell Energy, I was going to try their BB and stay with the same company, but they dont do BB in my area; Yorkshire.

Comments

• sevenhills
    I have noticed that my old supplier, Zebra Power, display the tariffs, excluding VAT; do they all do that?
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not as simple as Shell "don't do" broadband in Yorkshire as I've just put a Sheffield postcode into the MSE broadband checker and theirs is the first result that comes up...

The energy and telephone markets are different, so it maybe possible that you can get the cheapest possible deal with the same supplier for both energy and broadband, but I would guess it's more it's more likely that you won't. There are very few companies that cover both markets.

The energy market is complex as there are regional areas for electricity and different meter types and tariffs and everyone's consumption varies.

Have you tried the broadband checker for your cheapest options for broadband?

Theree are specific regulations about when VAT has to be displayed as excluded and included. Are you talking about on bills, or on websites? Every energy bill I have ever seen (business and home) always shows amounts excluding VAT, then VAT listed separately.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I have noticed that my old supplier, Zebra Power, display the tariffs, excluding VAT; do they all do that?

Where are you looking?
    When I obtain a quote from their website, there is no indication the prices exclude VAT.

What does your current supplier, Shell, do?
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Why are some services not offered in some areas?
    I assume its the same for energy/telephone?

Surely the whole of england are covered by the same Openreach and the electricity/gas network?
    I will never need to visit my BB or energy supplier and they will use Openreach or the national electricity/gas network.
    I signed up with Shell Energy, I was going to try their BB and stay with the same company, but they dont do BB in my area; Yorkshire.

While Fibre products are most likely to be an Openreach product their non-fiber offerings were being handled by TalkTalk LLU services and those are not available on all Exchanges.
  • sevenhills
    WhoIsThat wrote: »
    Where are you looking?
    When I obtain a quote from their website, there is no indication the prices exclude VAT.

What does your current supplier, Shell, do?

I was looking at the tariff on my online energy account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure