PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving to Ireland - Transfer of GBP to EUR

Hi All,

My wife and I will be moving to Ireland in the next few months. Most of our money is in GBP Sterling and we will need to transfer it to EUR Euro at some point when it comes to buy a house in Ireland.

Can anyone recommend what is the best platform to use in order to obtain the best possible exhange rate? We will be transferring about 100k so any deviation in exchange rate will have a significant impact.

In addition to this, I am sure I am not the first person on this forum to make the move from UK to Ireland (as a UK resident). Therefore, I was wondering if there is a checklist of things that I need to do/consider before we move e.g. tell utility companies, cancel mobile phone, etc.

Please accept my apologies if this post is not in the right place - I wasn't 100% sure where to post it.

Kind Regards
Gavin

Comments

• a4007035 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My wife and I will be moving to Ireland in the next few months. Most of our money is in GBP Sterling and we will need to transfer it to EUR Euro at some point when it comes to buy a house in Ireland.

Can anyone recommend what is the best platform to use in order to obtain the best possible exhange rate? We will be transferring about 100k so any deviation in exchange rate will have a significant impact.

In addition to this, I am sure I am not the first person on this forum to make the move from UK to Ireland (as a UK resident). Therefore, I was wondering if there is a checklist of things that I need to do/consider before we move e.g. tell utility companies, cancel mobile phone, etc.

Please accept my apologies if this post is not in the right place - I wasn't 100% sure where to post it.

Kind Regards
    Gavin

I'm using TransferWise to transfer GBP into AUD. It's works with most currencies and I find the rates competitive and the fees modest.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've posted a list elsewhere of who needs contacting when you move house, so you could start with this, and someone who has emigrated could add a bit more.
    Water Board – OLD and NEW
    Sewerage (if different) – OLD and NEW
    BT
    Cable company/Sky
    Long Distance company (e.g OneTel)
    Mobile company
    Electricity – OLD and NEW e.g npower
    Gas (if different) – OLD and NEW e.g npower
    Contact http://www.houseweb.co.uk/house/listings/utilities.html to see about switching any of the above.
    Credit Card(s) e.g. RBS, Amex
    Store Card (s)
    Bank/Building Society e.g Nationwide, Santander (are they holding any items for you?)
    Savings Bank
    Pension
    Life Insurance e.g Legal & General
    House Insurance
    Contents Insurance (if different)
    Motor Insurance
    Breakdown Service e.g Autonational
    Click on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/articles/ to see about switching any of these financial things.
    Employer/s (including part-time etc.)
    Home Faults repair service – OLD and NEW
    Kids schools (also ask new council for education and schools pack for future reference)
    Kids childminder
    Kids After school/breakfast club
    Sports club/Gym
    Vehicle Registration Complete the relevant section on the reverse side or at the bottom of your registration document and send it in, or ring 0870 240 0010. Failure to notify DVLA could result in a fine of £1000.
    Professional association
    Doctor – OLD and NEW
    Dentist – OLD and NEW
    Orthodontist – OLD and NEW
    Optician – OLD and NEW
    Vet – OLD and NEW
    Pet insurance,
    Accountant
    Window Cleaner
    Milk deliveries
    Newsagent (deliveries etc.)
    eBay
    Paypal
    Internet Service Provider
    Local Council(s) Council Tax – OLD and NEW – need a bill for school acceptance.
    Library – OLD and NEW
    Local Council(s) Refuse Collection (ordering wheeliebins)
    TV license http://www.TV-L.co.uk
    Drivers License: Complete section 1 & return to DVLC, Swansea, SA99 1BN
    Loyalty Card (Clubcard/nectar etc)
    Loyalty Points scheme (e.g.Nectar, Clubcard)
    Savings/Premium/ Family Bonds & National Savings, General Correspondence, Blackpool, FY3 9YP, quoting your bond number.
    National Savings Bank - Notify Boydstone Road, Glasgow, G58 1SB using an addressed envelope supplied by the Post Office.
    Save as You Earn and National Savings Certificates Write to: Savings Certificate and SAYE Office, Milburn Gate House, Durham, DH99 1NS (quote contract number).
    Old School alumni
    Magazine/periodicals subscription services (e.g Private Eye) etc.
    Union
    Tax Office; Your Salary Office knows the address
    Mail Order Companies
    Stocks and Shares (registrars or via your broker)
    Remember you need to already have a new utility bill (or two) to change some of these.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,989 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We have moved money to and from France many times and have found Currencies Direct to be very efficient and a good rate.
    BUT be aware that only a bank will have 100% protection, read about Crown Currencies, So use a well established company and move your money in several batches then if, (unlikely but...) it goes wrong you have only lost one batch, not the whole sum.
  • SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I use transferwise, they are registered and have protection, so just keep the amount you are transferring under that amount.
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OFX are another reputable company, I've used them many times. Large international corporation.

If it's large sums of money might be better to split your transfer between different platforms to reduce the risks if one goes bust
    poppy10
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Glad you have received great information. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to advise you regarding your OP. Sorry!

Hope you will be very happy in ROI. If you care to mention... what part of that country are you settling in. It's a great place. I know this from old.
  • a4007035
    a4007035 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Thank you for all the great advice.

I've done some initial comparisons and it looks like Transferwise looks to give the best rate.

Essentially, Transferwise use the mid market spot rate. Mid market is the middle of the buy and sell rate. And then they apply a transaction percentage (think its 0.37%) to the whole transaction.

I have an account with Currencies Direct and for large amounts they use an agent to negotiate the price/rate. Therefore, when it comes to making the transfer I will be sure to obtain a quote to see how it compares.

Thanks for the advice on doing it tranches and also using several platforms.
  • Simby
    Simby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Don’t forget you also need an Irish bank account to transfer it into

I think bank of Ireland has a moving to Ireland team, and you can use the uk address docs as the proofs then when you move change the address to your new one..

Otherwise you may need documents address etc.. to open your Irish bank account in Ireland that you won’t have for a bit e.g utility bills.
  • a4007035
    a4007035 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Thanks - Yes, we've already opened an account with AIB. Had to get loads of ID, proof of address, bills, etc. They didnt mind that we have a UK addres.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure