Time-frame for compensation & expenses claims with British Airways for delayed or cancelled flights

Hi all,

Never experienced this before but we were affected by the IT, customer booking system issues which B.A had on 7/8/19.

We had our flight from Heathrow to Mallorca cancelled by B.A whilst we were air-side and only had 50 mins before we were due to fly. Flights were rearranged for the next day with air Iberia (albeit 2 flights, first to Madrid and then to Palma) meaning we had to have a night in a hotel (2 x rooms as we were a party of 4 with 3 adults)

We of course kept all of our receipts for expenses and these were electronically submitted to B.A via the customer claims area of the website nearly 2 weeks ago.
I initially I received an automated response with a claims reference but since then nothing!

Does anyone know how long these claims take to process and resolve? I know it has not too long has passed since submitting but I do have £550 of associated expense fees on my credit card which will require settling very soon. I guess B.A have a lot of claims outstanding so must be very busy but was just wondering what other peoples experiences with claiming were like and the time-frames involved?
Cheers

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Unfortunately, in the world of an airline/travel operator, hardly anytime has passed between your claim and today.

Typically I would say allow about 28 working days.

With I expect backlog from BA’s multiple mess ups, general poor management, over stretched BA staff, outsourcing to the cheapest provider of many sub functions and the news of upcoming pilot strikes, it could be longer.
  • Diddidi
    Diddidi Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’m still waiting for a response from them for a delayed flight of 18 hours from mid July. Like you, I submitted receipts etc and had a confirmation number and then, radio silence. After one month had passed, I sent a chasing email. I will repeat at monthly intervals until someone responds eventually. Other airlines have paid up within about 3 weeks. As you say, BA have been a little busy recently :)
  • Now nearly 2 months in on this and not a word from the airline!
    Very poor really considering i had to pay over £500 of my own money out back in August to stay in London overnight due to the cancellation!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you have not even had an acknowledgement from the airline I would check that you completed the online claim form correctly and if necessary think about repeating the process again.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know how long these claims take to process and resolve?

With BA, quickest for me was less than a week, longest was 6 weeks.
  • I was issued with a claims number from the get-go so it seems all is in-hand so to speak.
    Not a great scenario when you have shelled-out over £550 of your own money 2 months ago for hotels rooms etc and the airline are clearly in not hurry to reimburse.
    We are fortunate enough to be in a situation where the financial displacement does not sting too much but this will not be the same for all travellers and claimants I'm sure!

Whilst I do very much appreciate there will be a lot of active claim cases with the airline at the moment, I think the time-frame to respond and action is appalling!
  • Beyond a joke really!

What are the experiences of others?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Send them a DM on twitter, they usually respond quickly.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Now nearly 2 months in on this and not a word from the airline!
    Very poor really considering i had to pay over £500 of my own money out back in August to stay in London overnight due to the cancellation!

£500 for one night!!!
    We were affected by the IT problems in Aug, had our flight re scheduled we had our compensation 23rd Sept
  • silvercar-Send them a DM on twitter, they usually respond quickly.

Messaged them through Instagram over a month ago and they have never even viewed the message!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure