PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor Forced Me To Exchange - Help

Comments

• franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Georgedunn wrote: »
    I wouldn!!!8217;t have exchanged however there were few properties left in the new build and this area was highly sought after.

This is the nub you didn't want to risk losing the property.

Anyway I'm not sure what your question is - you want to complain so that would be to the builder. The issue is what do you want your complaint to achieve?

Rescind the contract, well they are not obliged to do that but if they can sell easily at a higher price they might especially if you lose your deposit.

Give you compensation, unlikely but you may be able to blag an upgrade of the taps or something.

Bring the build forward, I'd assume there is no chance of this.

What else?

However there are no guarantees it will be finished in October so I would be concentrating on that. I suggest you cancel your holiday and focus on ensuring you can get the mortgage when you re-apply. If you save like mad to up your deposit then you can borrow less and thus ease the pressure on the earnings the lender requires.

In addition these would concern me:

Did you choose your own solicitors or use the builder's recommended one?

Is there a long stop date in the contract?

If no to both them maybe time to panic :eek:
  • Georgedunn wrote: »
    I will agree to disagree with you. The industry i!!!8217;m in (Asset Finance) injected £3.3m into the British economy in March alone.

With your logic we could get rid of estate agents as they don!!!8217;t any value either, however the market wouldn!!!8217;t function to the same level.

"Injecting 3.3 million" is pushing money across tables. Nothing concrete was created by your work and nothing ever will be. Printing money doesn't create houses, doesn't create food. What actual good was produced?

Estate agents are being phased out by the internet, so that's a bad example. But yes, we could eliminate all unproductive middle men. The market only has to function at a level that allows people who want to buy houses to buy them from people with houses. Creating demand for houses and spiralling "the housing market" into an economic necessity, rather than a practical exchange, is however a good example of why society is so unequal and !!!!ed up. It values the unproductive over the productive.

I won't go on though. Maybe when you are bit older than 21 and not so naive as to be railroaded by housebuilders, you might understand this stuff.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    borkid wrote: »
    Actually the house builder we bought from treated us very well. We bought off plan , they didn't start building our house until we exchanged but between completion and our house being built they lent us a house rent free and then paid the removal costs for one move also after completion the payments were staggered so it was only when we moved in did we actually pay the final installment. It was a relatively small house builder though and we were cash buyers.

There's always an exception
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I would suggest that (A) the debate about the value of the OP's profession is taken elsewhere, and (B) the OP saves up a lot to increase their deposit and make the lender's decision much less marginal.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Estate agents are being phased out by the internet, so that's a bad example. But yes, we could eliminate all unproductive middle men.

Ah yes, the Golgafrincham Solution.
  • Georgedunn
    Georgedunn Posts: 27 Forumite
    Anyway I'm not sure what your question is - you want to complain so that would be to the builder. The issue is what do you want your complaint to achieve?

Realistically can I get anything out of them. Stamp duty paid? Curtains / blinds? Wooden floors throughout?

Is this the angle I should be homing in on.

Ultimately a complaint is pointless however if I kick and scream enough I might save myself a penny or two.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    however if I kick and scream enough I might save myself a penny or two.

So you can claim to be worth £150k of someones money for 'trading' but haven't the skill or knowledge to negotiate maturely and confidently with the seller ?
  • Georgedunn
    Injecting 3.3 million" is pushing money across tables. Nothing concrete was created by your work and nothing ever will be. Printing money doesn't create houses, doesn't create food. What actual good was produced?

I!!!8217;m sure a lot of my customers value what I do. We can syndicate a deal that the customer would not be able to do on their own.

Ultimately I didn!!!8217;t intend for this to turn into a debate over the usefulness of brokers. The fact of the matter is I do what I do.
  • Georgedunn
    So you can claim to be worth £150k of someones money for 'trading' but haven't the skill or knowledge to negotiate maturely and confidently with the seller ?

Who says it won!!!8217;t be mature?

Just an angle I didn!!!8217;t know if it was worth approaching and if anyone had any experience in this.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Who says it won't be mature?

Just an angle I didn't know if it was worth approaching and if anyone had any experience in this.

Kicking and screaming ain't mature - no matter how you try to do it.

Everyone will have experience of negotiating with a seller - you start at the point that you're entitled to nothing and work from there. Your specific issue is you've already exchanged so have zero power - if you back out you lose your deposit and if demand is high enough they can find another buyer quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure