Threefold Supply Price Variance!

mrke
mrke Posts: 145 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Can anyone please explain the almost three fold difference in unmetered supply price variance between two neighbouring water companies?

2018-2019:
Bournemouth Water charge 67.41p x rateable value (£202) (+ £26.40 standing charge)
Wessex Water charge 189.52p x rateable value (£202) (+£7.00 standing charge)

Our bill from Wessex Water is £389.83

However Bournemouth would bill £162.57 for exactly the same product.

Sewage bills not included here, this is just supply price difference.
*** This Space For Rent ***

Comments

• You pay water for where you live, not where you would like to live!
  • mrke
    I am questioning why there is a massive price difference for water supply? I would have thought that there would be some regulatory supply charge banding and that all water companies would be aligned too in some degree. Maybe not...

Is the water supply business a complete free for all for the suppliers to charge as they each see fit?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,607 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes, they can charge what they like. Just like garages or supermarkets do for their wares. The only problem is that you cant shop around for water. You are stuck with whoever supplies it to your premises.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 25 April 2018 at 3:01PM
    It is an ongoing scandal that the water and sewerage charges for customers in the South West have been excessive. The government are fully aware of the situation and a recent budget gave all customers a £50 'rebate' - which in no way covers the extra customers pay.

The reason for the high charges is that the South West covers a very large area with a low population and little industry to cover the costs. They also have to pay to keep the beaches sewerage free so us holidaymakers can enjoy the beaches:o

The water charges and profit for every water company is controlled by the Regulator(ofwat) so it is not a 'free for all'
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As above: Bournemouth is an urban area with lower distribution costs, Wessex is much larger and predominantly rural.
    Just be grateful you are not in the SWW catchment area.
    Why don't you switch to a metered supply?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mrke
    Well the situation is not fair for the whole of the UK if the price being charged in different areas is not representative or comparable with another and yet you cannot switch supplier. I think I need to complain about this injustice; but to whom?

I guess metered supply charges are also most likely almost three times the price between the two companies? I'll have to look into that also...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    mrke wrote: »
    Well the situation is not fair for the whole of the UK if the price being charged in different areas is not representative or comparable with another and yet you cannot switch supplier. I think I need to complain about this injustice; but to whom?

I guess metered supply charges are also most likely almost three times the price between the two companies? I'll have to look into that also...

The Government sold off a largely Victorian water infrastructure to private industry and put in place legislation so customers would have to pay the huge investment needed for modernisation.
  • mrke wrote: »
    Well the situation is not fair for the whole of the UK
    Life is not fair either, but it has a rich tapestry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure