Voluntary severance and job offer

Hi everyone,
I understand that you can’t all read my HR Deptartnent’s mind! But if there are any HR Professionals or anyone who has gone through similar who can offer opinions and advice I’d really appreciate it!
My team is being reduced from 16 people to 12 and HR are offering Voluntary Severance.
The options available to us are VS, redeployment or selection process for existing jobs if not enough people go for other two options.
It looks as though more people will apply for VS than they need.
I’m fortunate enough to have been offered another job in the midst of all this but I need to give the new company an answer before the outcome of VS process is known.
My question is - would it be crazy to admit that I have a job offer on the table (I’m sure the answer is yes, but I’m going mad with the waiting and I hate lying).
If I don’t admit it chances are I wouldn’t be able to work my contractual notice period as would need to start new job before VS outcome is known

Any advice? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well yeah if you tell them you're leaving anyway it's one less person to pay off.

Can you stall with the new employer?

Are we talking significant sums? In your situation I'd be inclined to think long term and just accept the new job.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    It's doubtful that the HR dept would willingly pay out , but from what you say, you've not a lot to lose by asking.

The only reason not to would be if the redundancy terms were very generous and would cover the probable loss of the new job.
  • Thanks for your replies. Yes it’s equivalent to 12 months salary. On the other hand I’ve been trying to get a job for ages so I’m going to take the job and hope for the best!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure