Travelling On

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,162 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    OOh used to love London's burning :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad thats all done.
    You are more hardy than me.
    Way too cold for the garden here :eek:
    Oh, I didn't in the end! I stayed out there long enough to put *all* the rubbish in the bin, and then sort of ran inside :rotfl: it was bitter.
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I love Game of Thrones!

I have the DVDs up to series 4, and do intend to get the next series at some point.

At the moment our TV viewing is London's Burning. The Drama Channel is showing them right from the beginning, so we record them and then binge watch. We are up to series 8 at the moment, in 1995. I used to really enjoy that show, and it's withstood the test of time. I almost feel like I'm part of Blue Watch at the moment :rotfl:
    That's great, Goldie :j

I'm trying to think of any long-running drama I used to watch that was set in the present day, and the only one that comes to mind is ER ... tho even that, I didn't watch the last few series. I really am more about science fiction, I suppose, though for a long time now, there's been enough science fiction about that you don't have to watch it all (that wasn't the case beforehand).

And binge watching suits me too :D :j :D :j :D :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Right ... game on. I've faffed all I can, including a mini tutorial on fb privacy settings courtesy of mucking about with SB. Looked at my to-do list on my phone, and everything is saying, get the computer up to the office, instead of laying about in the living room, and while you're doing the scanning thing, or later on the back up thing, get writing! To hear is to obey ... I may be gone some time :)
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are you watching the orville kc? Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • We binge-watched every series of The West Wing - not everyone's thing but we loved it
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Are you watching the orville kc? Daisy xx
    I'm not Daisy, sadly - it looks like its on Fox TV in this country? Not sure - I don't have any paid-for channels (I've only recently started up a tv licence again!) but I might have a hunt around on youtube to see whats what. Is it something you'd recommend? I recognise a *lot* of names in the cast list on imdb :( it looks good.
    We binge-watched every series of The West Wing - not everyone's thing but we loved it
    I never had any box sets of it, but if I had, I'd have binged it :D I loved The West Wing. O that such a place should ever be!

I've been reviewing the first three chapters of the novel - but I was going to be backing up my computer while I was doing that, and my external hard drive won't speak to my computer any more :( Sigh ...

If it isn't the same bitter cold outside, I'm off to do a bit in the garden.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    KC, have you explored cloud storage?
  • Karmacat
    As a secondary backup, I have, Ed, but not done too much about it yet. I tried to upload my genealogy files as an experiment (to lose them would be devastating, quite frankly) and one single set, of about 2 gigs, took most of the day to upload - the transfer rates are abysmal round here :( But it should be part of my backup policy, as long as I can get it for free :)

Google has 15gigs. OneDrive on my phone keeps telling me it has 100 gigs ... is that true? That's certainly more than I've got on my computer.

I ordered a £10 Amazon voucher from SB yesterday :) accidentally succeeded at two surveys so got to the total early, yay me.

So, today - I'll try the whole backup thing again, because if it works I don't need to be there :D and thats easy enough. Otherwise, a bit of tidying :o focussed on but not limited to the jewellery :D there are repairs to have done, but getting things where they belong will do me for now.

Plotting with my sister to have a bit of fun. And Game of Thrones 2 and 3, and Orphan Black 4, have arrived :j:j thank you Swagbucks!
  • Karmacat
    Gave the backing up the computer one more try, switched it to different plugs, and yay its connected up again. I suspect the wiring on the leads is dodgy, but for now, problem sorted.

Inspired by SSS, I've just been figuring out Safe Withdrawal Rate, and working out whether I've left myself open to being an old lady turfed out of her home by the cruel council tax peeps. Turns out I haven't :j:j:j Riches may not be mine, but an adequate income will be :j

Off to do tidying, while my computer chats to my hard drive.
  • Karmacat
    Victory is mine :j

Documents, photos and bookmarks are all successfully backed up onto the external hard drive.

Two years of French accounts, and a year of English accounts, are safely tucked away in their dust-free plastic crates.

Jewellery is sorted and put away in the right places. It's not been cleaned, and even more importantly, it's not been repaired, but apart from a set of earrings I bought in Venice, everything is where it should be.

SB - for the second time, I've uninstalled some of the stupid apps. No more: there's one that seems to work fairly regularly, so I'll keep that, but the rest can go. I'm not going to fall into the same trap as when I did mystery shopping: chasing every penny leads to many, many missed opportunities on other things: Opportunity Cost, as I now know it's called :p

Even my recycling is sort of in the right place. Not quite, but nearly :rotfl: It counts!

It's a lot of things ticked off my "main topics" to do list, so I'm happy to leave it there. And I don't care that it's tippling down with rain, I'm off outside for a bit, and then I'm visiting Westeros.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure