List of Banks not doing contactless cards

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 April 2012 at 8:40PM
    In what way are the cards 'annoying'?
    It's called technological progress, it enables Luddites to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century ;)
    Presumably you don't allow anyone to have a direct debit mandate on your account either?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    As has been said, if you never do a contactless transaction, then you'll never be able to - the first one requires a PIN.

I expect that Visa and Mastercard will in the fairly near future make Contactless technology standard across all cards issued.
  • madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite
    rb10 wrote: »
    As has been said, if you never do a contactless transaction, then you'll never be able to - the first one requires a PIN.

hmm, I have used contactless 5 or 6 times with my card and have not been asked for my pin. That includes the first time.
  • Nearly_Old
    Nearly_Old Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    mgdavid wrote: »
    It's called technological progress, it enables Luddites to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century ;)
    Presumably you don't allow anyone to have a direct debit mandate on your account either?
    I agree that "annoying" is perhaps not the best word and for me personally it comes down to "freedom of choice".

Not to sure about "Luddites" as (trying not to be too cynical) would the banks only introduce this if it was for their benefit as much (or possibly more so) than for the user's benefit?

I do have a lot of direct debits but each one is for a known amount to be taken out on a known day in the month. I do not have any for unspecified amounts on unspecified dates.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    rb10 wrote: »

I expect that Visa and Mastercard will in the fairly near future make Contactless technology standard across all cards issued.
    agrinnall wrote: »
    And I have seen it mentioned (possibly in the thread that II linked to) that the first time you do a contactless transaction you have to enter a PIN, so if you never do one then nobody can ever take money from the card that way. Whether a card is contactless or not should not be your primary reason for choosing an issuer.

No this is wrong, people have got confused. You have to completed a normal Chip and PIN transaction before you can use contactless. Once you have done this then contactless is enabled, so if you use your card even once for a normal chip and pin transaction it becomes enabled.

It doesn't ask for a PIN for the first contactless transaction unless you haven't already done a normal Chip and PIN transaction with the card.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Helix wrote: »
    No this is wrong, people have got confused. You have to completed a normal Chip and PIN transaction before you can use contactless. Once you have done this then contactless is enabled, so if you use your card even once for a normal chip and pin transaction it becomes enabled.

It doesn't ask for a PIN for the first contactless transaction unless you haven't already done a normal Chip and PIN transaction with the card.

This doesn't even seem to be enforced. I managed to use a Virgin Money replacement card in McDonalds using contacts less when I'd never done a chip and pin transaction.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite

For those in London, they stop your oyster card from working through your wallet when both cards are in your wallet together. HUGELY annoying.
    It's called technological progress

It's not really "progress" if it makes life more annoying, is it.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    nzseries1 wrote: »
    For those in London, they stop your oyster card from working through your wallet when both cards are in your wallet together. HUGELY annoying.
    It's not really "progress" if it makes life more annoying, is it.

so don't put all the eggs in the same basket!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    so don't put all the eggs in the same basket!

Why not? It worked before!

I don't want to carry two wallets. And I don't want the banks telling me I have to.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • andrew-the-cat
    andrew-the-cat Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post
    I agree it would be annoying for people who have RFID cards for transport, eg Oyster cards and like to scan them through wallet for convenience. The contactless standard features collision detection and will not work if more than one card is detected (I tried it in Mcdonalds once - it crashed the card reader).

There are already RFID shielded wallets available if you're that concerned.

I have no idea why you should be though, you are FULLY covered by your bank and if any transaction is made from your card which you did not authorise (eg if it was skimmed and then used online or on a dummy card) then the bank should refund you before it even starts investigating.

Chip and pin is hugely insecure but people don't seem to worry about that any more now that it has been around for a few years. In fact most people don't even shield their pin when using chip and pin or cash points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure