How important is work location to you?

Comments

• vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'm happy where I currently am. It's a small industrial estate (5 units) near a small town. 2 minutes walk to countryside path leading to a wildlife conservation area with a large lake 5 minutes further on.

10 minutes drive to a larger supermarket or 3 minutes to local shops.

For me, like many others, it is the distance from home which counts. My commute is 12-15 minutes by car, just under an hour by bike (my preferred scenic route along the riverside) and my office has ample free car and secure bicycle parking spaces right outside.

The thought of the cost and inconvenience of buses, tubes, trains and station parking every day doesn't appeal to me at all and I don't think any amount of money would tempt me into a city centre, no matter how many pubs were nearby (which I would certainly appreciate). :)
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I work in the centre of Manchester & have a fiend commute. Frankly, a business park ten minutes from home would be *wonderful*. So they're building the new office, by a railway station, in line of sight of this place & I'm doomed to a fiend commute til I retire or die in a RTA.

Quality of life is relative.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Why would it be a wind up?

My job is boring like any other job but one of the best things about it is the location and having worked in some terrible locations in the past it makes a lot of difference for me.

It's not simply a few stops away on the tube, according to the TFL planner it would take 34 minutes to get from the old office to the new one. Admittedly it wouldn't take me that much longer as I'd go a different route but it will still take me longer and for some people it really would take an extra 34 minutes each way to go to a less desirable location.

Obviously location isn't the only factor, I'd only take a new job that pays more money and is doing my profession and like someone else pointed out office atmosphere is also important.

The reason for my comment was that you seemed to be saying that the only reason you were thinking of moving on was due to an office move - you've now stated would that this would add less than 34 minutes to your commute, which doesn't seem a lot - but if there are other reasons you aren't happy, that makes it sound more sensible (in my view).

Of course office atmosphere makes a difference and it sounds like the atmosphere in yours is good - but isn't this more to do with the people in the office than it is to do with whether you're in zone 1 or zone 2...?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ha

I work 3 min drive from my house

Its a factory in a field

Nearest shop is a 10 min drive

I take a sandwich :)
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    I think I'm very lucky to work in a beautiful rural location. It does mean there are no amenities in walking distance, closest is a village about 15 minutes drive away. I don't really take a formal lunch break, take my own breakfast and lunch in with me. I've saved a fortune in the last few years not "popping out at lunchtime" and ending up wandering the shops. I also get to see lots of interesting wildlife.

When I do go to the City for meetings it feels like it's a different world (and I feel like a total country bumpkin!).

Horses for courses and all that.
  • Mika134
    Mika134 Posts: 31 Forumite
    I don't care much for the location, anything fun or useful nearby is just a bonus.

Whilst I have a driving licence, my anxiety attacks mean I am unable to drive. However, I really enjoy a long walk and would be willing to catch a train and have a nice long walk afterwards for a job I didn't hate.
  • MoneySavingUser
    MoneySavingUser Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    I don't care about the location, only care about the commute.

Though I have only ever worked in business parks!
  • Sandy75
    Sandy75 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Interesting thread.
    I used to work in the House of Commons (along with thousands of others) so was surrounded by history, grandeur and some fantastic energy. It was a wonderful place to work. I could walk to Trafalgar Square, nip into the National Gallery or St Martin in the Fields, go the the opera after work. And I did.
    But ultimately I needed greater challenge and having pushed my role as far as I could, I had to move on. I ended up working out in Berkshire, relocated there and now work in a very uninspiring part of West London. It does affect my morale and I don't venture out at all during work hours - but the job is interesting and challenging. Life moves on.

As for Zone 1 / Zone 2 - there are lots of great places in Zone 2 (and dare I say it, other Zones! Richmond, Greenwich, Clapham - all very lively.
  • engineer_amy
    engineer_amy Posts: 803 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    OP - similar to me, one of the reasons I have stayed in my current company for so long (14 years) is the location.
    Im 16 minutes walk from my house, 5 minutes drive including the stops at traffic lights.
    Its in the centre of a small town, with banks, cafes, convenience stores and small supermarkets so handy to nip out if you have forgotten to pack a lunch or snack. I can also go home at lunch and spend 45 mins there out of an hour break - plenty of time to get a bit of housework done. Or there is a park up the road if I fancy some air and a couple of laps walking.

We are only 7 miles from Belfast but Belfast apparently was named the UK's worst congested city at rush hour so I wouldn't like to have to travel in and out of the city everyday.
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I cycle 10 miles each way about 50 minutes along the Thames footpath. Beautiful ride alone the Estuary. Cost me nothing other than the maintenance on a bike, never late for work and plenty of exercise and fresh air............that said its a great job with decent pay and conditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure