Sickness, work and reasonable adjustments

2»

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 November 2023 at 12:15PM
    Personally if I were you, it sounds like you are going to struggle to continue doing the job you are employed for any longer.

Employers do not care about you, you are just a number to them, someone who enables them to earn money. This for alot of employers is nonsense but they still have to operate a business and it does mean at times making difficult decisions

You said you have been with your employer for 10 years, so you have some protection as does anyone who has been with an employer over 2 years. They have to follow procedures if they are going to sack you, if they fail to follow them they are leaving themselves open to unfair dismissal claims etc.

You have a contract, if it states you are entitled to 3 months full pay, they have to pay it to you. Check your contract.Read the first post...

My advice if you feel you are going to be forced out is to get a notepad, write down dates and times of conversations, get everything you can in an email to you as evidence.

Speak to ACAS and have a look at their website for help and guidance.

Do not hand in your notice as this may be what they want you to do as it is a lot easier for them rather than try to help you or go down the route of trying to get you out.Agree with this

If it get near to a point of they are getting rid if you, find a no win, no fee solicitor who will look at your case, this is why it's so important to write things down and get everything in an email to use against them if need be. Think about possibly using your mobile to record any meeting with your line manager, you can share thus with your solicitor without asking for your managers consent to record.Recording without persmission is generally frowned upon

Also occupational health are a waste of time, they are there to work for your employer in most cases, there is such a thing as a capability review which would mean your employer has to look at what other tasks you are able to do but my understanding it's if you've been off sick for some timeOH is something some employers offer...not all and can be utilised at any time.

The employer is most likely going to try an dismiss based on capability if they are unable to accomidate reasonable adjustments (because they wouldn't be reasonsable)

OP you need to really consider your position and what the outcome you want is and what you are likely to get from the company. If you really think they are going to dismiss then start looking for alternative jobs.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • aife
    aife Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What's CY pay ?
  • James-may
    James-may Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you all for the replies,sorry I have alksort going on at the moment with applying for council house that's all downstairs, and speaking to union and considering some sort of benefits claim, hispital appointments, and we have sickness all over in work, so been very busy, I will respond in proper detail when I get a chance.

Once again thanks very much.
  • Good luck!
  • James-may said:
    Thank you all for the replies,sorry I have alksort going on at the moment with applying for council house that's all downstairs, and speaking to union and considering some sort of benefits claim, hispital appointments, and we have sickness all over in work, so been very busy, I will respond in proper detail when I get a chance.

Once again thanks very much.
    James,

Surely you can't be serious?

Who cares about the job, your boss, his boss, the shop, its owner etc etc? You're a wreck physically, you need treatment, help, support both psychological and physical/medical. . You need to hand in your notice today and start thinking about YOU and your one life on this planet. 

Go to CAB and get them to tell you in detail as to what benefits you're entitled to and how to get them ASAP.

Forget about this job that's killing you! I am so terribly sorry that you are going through this  - do you have a partner? Family who can help with accommodation and a few pennies to live on whilst you wait for the benefits to come through?

What does your gp say? Surely he/she must do their utmost to help you get the support that you need?
  • Just read the update - happy for you, didn't realise this was an old post!
  • Yes, THANK YOU for coming back and updaing us.  Very happy that things have worked out well for you.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback