Cordless drill not working

Just looking to see if anyone can shed light on why this would be.

If it was an old drill that'd been hammered i could understand, or even just an old drill in general. Thing is i got it Xmas 2016 and i've used it literally only a handful of times since. Not much at all.

I went to it a few months ago to use it and it just didn't power up. I figured a dead battery so put that on charge & then went to use it again after it'd charged fully - still wouldn't work.

Gave up. Tried again a few weeks after that and it worked. Tried again since that including yesterday and just nothing.

Press the button on the battery and the thing lights up green.

If it helps this is the drill...

ukGd1ZP.jpg
JczTLXE.jpg

Comments

• daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What's the warrenty period? May be worth contacting Bosch, even if out of warranty they may give some helpful advice.

If you know someone with a similar bosch powertool you could try swapping batteries to see if your battery is the problem, though if the power bar lights up this seems unlikely.

There are places that will service powertools, the local independent hire shop to me services tools in house - if you can find somewhere local to you it would be worth a try.

Best of luck, I have the same drill - only 18months old but has had a very busy/tough life and still going great.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Three years warranty on Bosch Blue if you registered it.

I hammer mine to death - well not really - never had one fail on me .

Are you sure the battery has clicked into position? Left/right switch isn;t in the neutral position?

V Suprised if I'm honest

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Ruski
    Gearbox in neutral between 1 and 2? Does the work LED light come on when you trigger?

Russ
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Find someone with a multimeter, or buy one, and test the voltage held by the battery.

That will tell you if the battery is at fault.

Test the voltage coming from the charger, see if that's faulty.

If you can find a supply of the same voltage as the battery (an old mains adaptor, for instance), connect that to the battery terminals on the drill and see if it comes to life.

It's just process of elimination to narrow down which of the three elements is at fault.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Ruski wrote: »
    Gearbox in neutral between 1 and 2? Does the work LED light come on when you trigger?

Russ
    This, been there, done that, felt daft afterwards when my husband pointed it out!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    hope you manage to fix it but even if you registered it for an extended warrenty it may not cover the batteries and charger as they are seen as consumables .My hubby extended the warrenty on a Makita set and it wouldnt cover them .
  • Ruski
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    hope you manage to fix it but even if you registered it for an extended warrenty it may not cover the batteries and charger as they are seen as consumables .My hubby extended the warrenty on a Makita set and it wouldnt cover them .

Bosch cover both batteries and charger - again if they're registered!

HTH

Russ
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The battery does need looking after.

If it is very lightly used then the battery needs recharging every few months. Allowing a battery to remain uncharged for any length of time is one of the quickest ways to kill it.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ruski wrote: »

Russ
    I just checked this and it seems there's no 'between', it's either 1 or 2?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    KeithP wrote: »
    The battery does need looking after.

If it is very lightly used then the battery needs recharging every few months. Allowing a battery to remain uncharged for any length of time is one of the quickest ways to kill it.

This was the problem with the Makita batteries. If I remember correctly, the integral battery management circuit draws a small amount of power from one cell even when the battery is disconnected. If that cell gets fully discharged, the battery cannot be recharged.

One fix is to take the battery apart and replace the duff cell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure