Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Emmaaar22 wrote: »
    Lots of those come through on the website but I can`t apply for any. Where I live, without a car it will take you a train, a walk and a bus just to get to the hospital as it`s on the other side of the city. So I think it takes about two hours just to get to it.

That's your prerogative, however if you want a role that badly you'll find a way to get there. No disrespect but if you were working there already and getting paid to get into work, you'd pull all the stops out to get there, surely?
    Well thank you everyone for your input and suggestions, bit stumped as what to do now. It has left me feeling a bit downbeat as it feels I can`t get anywhere or do anything or theirs not enough opportunities anymore. I hope something will turn up.

A useful skill many companies or prospective employers will look favourably on is being able to drive (obtain the licence at least, you can get a car later), so that two hour commute you mention above may only become 45 minutes. That may be at this point in time a better use of your resources?
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I agree about the extra stuff like computer skills, and of course accurate message taking. But I've just mystery shopped some receptionists this week, as it happens. The 'extra' things they had to do to demonstrate high standards, in a very large corporate building, included the following:

- smiling at the customer when they were 6 feet from the desk, as they approached, and RISING TO THEIR FEET to greet them

- taking the customer's name, and then USING IT in interactions with them. Keeping the customer informed about any delay (and, again, using the customer's name when they did this)

- immaculate presentation, wearing the house uniform (clean and well pressed), great grooming, minimal jewellery and discreet makeup (I was specifically asked about hair cleanliness).

If I were looking for a job in reception, I would google 'reception services' and see if any of the big firms providing these services are looking for people. It would be worth the dreadful commute to get work with a big firm for a period of time on your CV, surely? (Or, to think of it another way, look on the commute time as a job you are doing for yourself, paying yourself with the money you have saved by not doing a worthless training course.)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Blimey I've never had a receptionist stand up to greet me - you must move in exalted circles musician...

It's vital for a receptionist to remember someone's name however so this is great guidance - and don't call people by their first names unless they specifically ask you to (bugbear of mine - do you mind if I call you Rob? There's no answer to that which doesn't make me sound like an a$s).

If I were you I would get on a bus and stop at every hotel, GP and vet surgery accessible by public transport and ask about vacancies in person. You never know what may transpire.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it could be how you put yourself forward at applications and interviews. Look at what you currently do, what skills and tasks are closely linked to work a receptionist might also do? there will be a multitude of skills that are transferable, so point those out and focus on those when applying for roles.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    - smiling at the customer when they were 6 feet from the desk, as they approached, and RISING TO THEIR FEET to greet them

Where do you work, Dubai? If a receptionist looked at me and rose to their feet as I approached, I'd be extremely miffed, because my first thought would be that they'd decided to go on a break and leave me hanging at the desk.
  • Sandy75
    Sandy75 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »

It's vital for a receptionist to remember someone's name however so this is great guidance - and don't call people by their first names unless they specifically ask you to (bugbear of mine - do you mind if I call you Rob? There's no answer to that which doesn't make me sound like an a$s).

I'm glad I'm not the only one irked by this.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    (bugbear of mine - do you mind if I call you Rob? There's no answer to that which doesn't make me sound like an a$s).

There is actually an answer which doesn't make you sound like an a$s, which is "not at all" :) It may not be an answer you want to give but you didn't specify that.

I don't like it either, but hey ho. It would be nice to be called "Mr Malthusian Sir" but all things considered I would rather live in the 2010s with high speed broadband and cheap flights.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Realistically all being a receptionist boils down to is saying "Good morning sir/madam, how can I help you today?", standing/sitting behind a desk, using the telephone, directing people to Room 3 and other occasional duties - appointments, etc.

And for goodness sake SMILE and look as though you are pleased to see me. Even on the telephone SMILE - it does make a difference!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My friend built up experience by doing some voluntary work as a volunteer administrator/receptionist. This built up her xonfidence, experience and had a lot to talk about at interviews in the future.

Just approach local charities and see if they have any opportunities.

You can also do a free Level 2 Certificate in Customer Service or Business Administration which are both good qualifications to have and can be done distance learning. Look at Vision 2 Learn or local college or training provider websites.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure