Post office home insurance £50 beat renewal offer help

Hi all,

Please can someone clarify this for me as I tried calling the Post Office to figure it out and was still confused.
Basically my contents renewal is £90 which includes accidental damage and items away from home. Also included for free is family legal protection and home assistance.
I had a quote from them for £100 including the above benefits so I thought in theory it would be £40 then?
If someone could please clarify how it works that would be great:)

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2018 at 9:31AM
    It will be if you take out the policy and adhere to the ts & cs of the offer

Alternatively if the ts & cs aren't clear contact them for an explanation

(Do note that the insurance isn't really provided by the Post Office!)
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Are the policies like for like, in terms of their exclusions etc?

Their website says they will do it based on like for like policies. You take out the post office insurance, then they pay you £50.00 back within 60 days.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,044
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yeah it's a bit confusing as they charge about £50 for emergency assistance and this is only supposed to be based on the basic premium which in my case includes all those extras.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,044
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 May 2018 at 6:08PM
    Thanks all, I've just called and had someone to clarify and let me know the exact situation.
    Basically they ignore the added extras included for free in my existing renewal and add those on with their own charges.
    So they advised me their quote would be £93 as a 'basic policy' with accidental damage, posessions away from home etc.
    I would be charged £50 or something for home emergency assistance so pay about £140 initially then they would refund £50 after 60 days so I'd end up paying about the same as my renewal with my existing insurer.
    So basically the like for like excludes the emergency assistance even though it's free with my existing insurer so not quite like for like in some senses as they consider it an extra even though it's free.
    Hope that might help others considering a policy with Post Office anyway.
    On ComparetheMarket the quote for Post Office is £103 and indicates it includes Home Emergency cover too so one angle taken from the last person I spoke to was that the basic premium would then be £53 or thereabouts and already cheaper than my renewal...
    All seems a bit complicated but it doesn't look like I'll be getting my policy for £40 instead of £90 as initially hoped!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure