Residents pooling together to get Fibre

I have received a letter that is from a group of residents trying to get Fibre broadband in our neighborhood.

It says that if approx. 50% of the residents agree to pay approx. £50 , then BT open reach will fit fibre for our neighborhood. This £50 charge is just to get the neighborhood wired up. You'd then need to pay whatever the ISP charges after that.

Once Fibre is fitted, any resident who wants it and didn't pay the initial £50 will then have to pay substantially more to get Fibre.

I am confused by that last part. I would have thought once the neighborhood is wired up with Fibre all the houses would have access to it, thus there would be no connection charge (Other than what the ISP may charge, but the letter makes it sound like there would be a connection charge on top of the ISP's charge).

I just want to check that this letter is legit. Thanks!

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have you asked the sender? If genuine, they will have communciations from Openreach to back up what they say.

I suppose it's possible that £50 guarantees you a fibre connection. If you don't want to pay towards it then you take your chances that there is a connection free when you want to take advantage. The cabinet that is installed may not have capacity for fibre to every property in the neighbourhood at the start. If there are only 50% of residents interested, then it doesn't make sense for Openreach to install a cabinet that is double that capacity at a cost that is not effective.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It sounds like it might be the Openreach Community Fibre project

https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk/

Could be worth putting your details in.

I was involved in this for our rural village a few years ago, when we had no idea when we might get Fibre BB. OR were very helpful and provided us with costings etc.

As it turned out, the Hampshire CC Superfast BB project came along and we got it anyway.

I would certainly check it out before parting with any money!
  • littly_kitty
    littly_kitty Posts: 117 Forumite
    mije1983 wrote: »
    The cabinet that is installed may not have capacity for fibre to every property in the neighbourhood at the start. .

Oh, I see. So it's not like cable TV or broadband where everyone can get it once it gets installed?
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Have you asked the sender? If genuine, they will have communciations from Openreach to back up what they say.
    They've given a house address, but the guy's never in.

Mister_G wrote: »
    https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk/
    Could be worth putting your details in.

When I go to that site, it says:

We're working with government and industry to explore ways to bring Superfast fibre to as many people as possible but don't have a plan for your area yet.
    You might consider co-funding fibre access in your community. Knowing there's a healthy demand in your area can also really help.

So I guess this letter myst be part of the co-funding.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Oh, I see. So it's not like cable TV or broadband where everyone can get it once it gets installed?

Nope, as there is a cost element to it and if the demand is not there then it's not effective to undertake. Probably more so in your case when/if they will only install FTTC as part of a co-funding agreement. They will be looking to do this the cheapest way possible, not just for them but for you too.

If you Google (or even search this forum) for 'fibre cabinet full' or similar then you will find out more information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure