PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Work Lunch?

Hello!

Anyone have any advice on what I can take to work? rather not be buying food from a van id much prefer making my own food to save money! currently taking home made curry and rice tomorrow but I always end up with either pasta or sandwiches!

We only have use of a microwave to cook stuff :)
 I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe boards and spending & discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Debt owed;

Comments

• Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I take lunch every day and get bored easily. For me anything goes!
    Leftovers from the day befores evening meal heating in the microwave,
    Sandwich's,
    Ryvitas with soft cheese spread dipped in cuppa soups,
    Crackers & cheese,
    Jacket potatoes, I batch cook 6 at a time in the oven wrap in tinfoil and freeze. Take out of freezer night before, unwrap from tinfoil once defrosted, microwave for 2 1/2 mins, fillings are beans, tuna, cheese, coleslaw, leftovers,
    Hope that helps a little
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • BlueJ94
    BlueJ94 Posts: 2,551 Ambassador
    First Anniversary I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    Jacket potatoes, I batch cook 6 at a time in the oven wrap in tinfoil and freeze. Take out of freezer night before, unwrap from tinfoil once defrosted, microwave for 2 1/2 mins, fillings are beans, tuna, cheese, coleslaw, leftovers,
    Hope that helps a little

I didn't think of Jacket Potatoes! Thank you :D
     I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe boards and spending & discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Debt owed;
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I take lunch in, we have a toaster, microwave and kettle

Tomorrow is Chinese - left overs from Friday, boxed up and straight in the fridge Ill be fine :)

I take a sandwich some days, a toaster sandwich ( in a toaster bag ) others.

Home made soup

HM quiches

Hummus and carrot sticks and pitta

Pasta dishes - macaroni cheese, salmon or chicken chilli pasta

Hot dogs

Cheeseburgers - precooked just warm the burger in the microwave and add to bap with cheese and salad

Left overs from dinner - curry, lasagne, cottage pie, stew etc. I sometimes make a lasagne just to portion up and freeze for lunches

And I have a bag of muesli and a large tub of yoghurt kept in work for breakfast and afternoon snack if working late

Basically anything thats in the house is fair game for lunch. If I had an hour break Id be more adventurous but only get 30 mins so need quick ready cooked just need a reheat food
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    I take lunch every day and get bored very easily

I have taken ham sandwiches every day for the last 30+ years. The only deviation being when we have had a roast on Sunday and then Monday & Tuesday are whatever that meat was.

I've tried experimenting but end up back at ham after a day or two
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    we move threads if we think they will get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All of the above plus Greek salad.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you do a search there's previous threads on here with lots of ideas.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Aldi falafels are surprisingly yum, and take a minute in the microwave. With pitta, hummus (again, Aldi Moroccan or caramelised onion) and some crunchy salad veg.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    It always dumbfounds me when people ask others what they should eat! What would you normally eat if you were at home for lunch?
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you cook jacket potatoes in the oven and freeze them, then microwave them, are the skins nice and crispy as they are when they come out of the oven?

I love jacket potatoes!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport