ASDA charged my card twice and very poor service

Comments

• 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    My order was supposed to have delivered between 8.30-9.30pm and around 10.15 I called them to find out what happened to the order, and was told they need to cancel it because the van broke down. Having waited for two hours no one informed of this until I called and I was not happy.

First of all...Is it or is it not a 2hr timeslot? I presume you have then been sent a msg with a 1hr window?
    Between 8:30 and 10.15 is not 2 hrs either...so nobody waited for two hours to be informed of a breakdown did they?...then to make matters a little less believable the van appears 10 mins after call to customer services?

I apologise if I seem a little harsh but can you see why I have doubts over the authenticity of the event?

Now, if all appears above board then surely the situation with the bank charge is straightforward? As we all know if the original purchase was "cancelled" by customer services a refund will not be instant and the original charge still pending because the delivery would not have been complete?

Secondly, a request was made to the delivery drivers to inform customer services that the order was delivered. Which would trigger another charge I would presume after the delivery driver contacted his HQ? Hence "ASDA have took my money twice"

Now OP please, for your own sake never visit a self serve Petrol pump and pay with your card because it will only cause you a lot of pain and heartache...
  • Fleur52
    Fleur52 Posts: 19 Forumite
    I don't think you understand the issues thatI was trying to make.

Having waited till 10.15pm I called ASDA. When I placed the order I put all my contact numbers, so in the event of delays they should have informed me that the van had broken down or there was a delay. No one contacted me. Also why should I wait any longer than necessary when I placed the order and expected a good service? This shows cheaper does not mean a good service. So my point was until I contacted ASDA no one contacted me and that in my opinion was not good enough.

Also it seems a lack of communication between delivery and the customer services department. When it finally arrived I told them that I had just spoken to CSD and they were in the process of cancelling the order so can they inform CSD that the order was delivered. Again my point was poor service. The next morning I had an email to say that the order was cancelled and asked me to re schedule for another date. That proved there was no communication taken place and necessary steps taken by the CSD.

The order was placed on the 9th March with delivery scheduled for 12th March.

With regards to payments taken out from my account which was the important point that I was relaying - the first payment on the 9th March taken out for 1p as a verification process. Then on the 12th the correct amount was taken out for the goods. So that is all ok.

However, the second debit taken on 12th March was taken out without my authorisation. That was my point here. I did not place another order. Just because the card details were saved does not mean to say that they can debt my card without my permission. If you saw a debit on your account to which you had not given permission would you be just happy and let them take the money without making any complaints? No I don’t think so.

Please read the title and the points raised here before you making a judgement. Thank you.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    The debit would correct itself naturally in a few days - it's not uncommon. It would be pending rather than debited.
    I have had several debits pending for the original order amount, then the amended order amount (if items are out of stock etc) plus the penny pending too.

I would probably not have said anything and waited. Whenever my delivery has been cancelled, which is rarely, I have received a voucher.

OP I think you were slightly premature to ring adding to the confusion of how things would have naturally played out. If this is the first time you've used them then the way the transactions are processed is something you weren't to be aware of. Hopefully if you use them again in the future you will see how pending transactions alter/debit which will give you peace of mind knowing that you are not alone and there's no need to panic.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Sounds like two authorisations or a single authorisation / single debit.

This comes up all the time with grocery deliveries - using a credit card or doing the shopping yourself are the best answers. Debit card payments are always exposed to these issues as they 'earmark' actual funds.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Gave up on deliveries a long time ago. Tried Asda and Tesco. Both as bad as each other. Just too many issues with every single delivery. List includes:
    Rotten veg being delivered.
    Late deliveries
    Cancelled deliveries that we didnt get notified of.
    Endless billing mistakes.
    Missing items (some we were still charged for).
    Out of date or on its use-by date food (far too much to be a coincidence).
    Some of the most bizarre substitutions.
    Unreasonably long waits for refunds.
    Saw the Asda one drop a load of unwrapped bakery products on the floor outside then not say anything. We certainly said something to him.

It just got too much of a pain having to go through everything while the guy waited then be sending stuff (on occasions most of the order) back then waiting 10 days for a refund and having to go to town to buy the missing stuff anyway. The throwing food all over the road then sneakily trying to palm it off on us was the last straw.

Remember a watchdog type program last year i think about the disgusting condition of the vans and baskets. Clearly not much has changed for the better since we tried it. Wouldnt use it again.
  • Fleur52
    Fleur52 Posts: 19 Forumite
    This would be the last time I shop at ASDA or order anything online.

I would rather pay a bit more and go to a decent shop such as Marks and Spencer or Waitrose.
    I have had lots of deliveries from Marks and Spencer and they are excellent from ordering to taking payments so it shows not all Supermarkets debit twice or cancel orders at last short notice.

No more ASDA.
    Thanks everyone and I will end this thread now. I have made my points so no point of dwelling on it any more.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,830
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Fleur52 wrote: »

I would rather pay a bit more and go to a decent shop such as Marks and Spencer or Waitrose.
    I have had lots of deliveries from Marks and Spencer and they are excellent from ordering to taking payments so it shows not all Supermarkets debit twice or cancel orders at last short notice.

No more ASDA.
    Thanks everyone and I will end this thread now. I have made my points so no point of dwelling on it any more.

When did M&S start doing food deliveries?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

No more ASDA.

Waitrose also put a hold on the amount beforehand. It's common practice.

There's no reason to stop shopping online. You had a misunderstanding and now that is resolved. No harm done, and you'll understand for next time.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    When did M&S start doing food deliveries?

Like so many threads on here you really should pull too hard at it...
  • 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2018 at 3:59PM

Please read the title and the points raised here before you making a judgement. Thank you.

I'm not an idiot, I can read the title of your post....I'll make judgement however I like based on the "information" you have provided.

ASDA Charged you twice because you placed an order, then cancelled, then told the driver to basically charge you again. It's your total lack of understanding of how things work that has put you in this situation. Asda have done nothing wrong other than action your requests either online or verbally.

The fact that the delivery turned up in a reasonable amount of time outside of your original booked slot (around 30 mins late) just shows that you haven't given them much leeway before making a complaint. You were told about a "breakdown" which obviously wasnt serious enough to warrant contacting every customer (it could have been a flat tyre for all we know)

Unfortunately Britain is turning very very lazy and more and more people have a complete lack of understanding of how things go on behind the scenes and as soon as something, however minor happens, take straight to the internet/social media to vent their unnecessary anger.

I suggest you read up on how payments/refunds are processed in different circumstances before another company gets it from you....

For every customer like you there are tens of thousands that are more than happy....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure