Should high earners pay off student loans??

Hi guys,

I need a bit of help and advice please.

I left uni in 2011 with 24k of student debts, however I've been very lucky and landed multiple jobs (50k+) since graduation, so I'm on my way to paying it off (16k remaining), so judging by the past 5 years I'll easily repay my loan within 30 years, the question is - I'm due to receive a bonus of 20k, is it smart to simply use this to wipe out the debt, or am i more sensible saving it? Currently my student loan is about £450/month due to my salary being as high as it is.

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have my bonuses paid straight to my pension to avoid paying tax on it...at least until I retire and hopefully that should be at the basic rate.
  • Unfortunately that isn't an option as I work abroad (Ireland)
  • Hybrice wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I need a bit of help and advice please.

I left uni in 2011 with 24k of student debts, however I've been very lucky and landed multiple jobs (50k+) since graduation, so I'm on my way to paying it off (16k remaining), so judging by the past 5 years I'll easily repay my loan within 30 years, the question is - I'm due to receive a bonus of 20k, is it smart to simply use this to wipe out the debt, or am i more sensible saving it? Currently my student loan is about £450/month due to my salary being as high as it is.

Are you on Plan 1?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • I'm not sure, I'm on the 9% tarrif, however as I'm Ireland based my threshold is £14k not 21k, my interest is only 1.5%, I have no other debt or finance to pay
  • I'm not sure, I'm on the 9% tarrif, however as I'm Ireland based my threshold is £14k not 21k, my interest is only 1.5%, I have no other debt or finance to pay
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2018 at 10:53PM
    Hybrice wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I'm on the 9% tarrif, however as I'm Ireland based my threshold is £14k not 21k, my interest is only 1.5%, I have no other debt or finance to pay

If the interest you can earn on the 20k is more than the student loan, save it.

If it isn!!!8217;t, pay it off.

Edit: Presumably by Ireland you mean Northern Ireland?
  • No, southern Ireland, republic of Ireland.

My logic is, either I keep paying £450 a month for the next four years, or I use this one time windfall to blast what's owed and be £450 better off each month.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hybrice wrote: »
    No, southern Ireland, republic of Ireland.

My logic is, either I keep paying £450 a month for the next four years, or I use this one time windfall to blast what's owed and be £450 better off each month.

Well the maximum interest rate for savings I can find in Ireland is 1.5% for a 10 year bond (which is ludicrously low but anyway)

Unless you foresee a significant increase in the interest rates being offered in the next 3 years or so it’d be better to just pay it off and have the peace of mind that your entire salary is now yours (minus whatever the taxman helps himself to of course.)
  • It's a toss of the coin one to me, but I don't know your personal circumstances. If you job is rock solid, pay it off. But if there's even the slightest chance that you could have a period of less/no income in the next couple of years, then you may need some cash behind you.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure