PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Agents fees... £5k too much?

Options
I am selling a house. Estate agent and I singed the contract for 1.2 % of house sold price. It is about £ 5k included VAT. Is it too much? We've got a offer (only 3 weeks on market) and agreed to sell. I started to looking for solicitor. And it add up about £ 1k. We are very tight in money. Could I go to EA and ask to make agents fee less £1k ...or I take my house from market and go for another agency. I'v got roomy ex-council house in popular location. Thank you very much for answers in advance!

Comments

• gingercordial
    Options
    I am selling a house. Estate agent and I singed the contract for 1.2 % of house sold price. It is about £ 5k included VAT. Is it too much? We've got a offer (only 3 weeks on market) and agreed to sell. I started to looking for solicitor. And it add up about £ 1k. We are very tight in money. Could I go to EA and ask to make agents fee less £1k ...or I take my house from market and go for another agency. I'v got roomy ex-council house in popular location. Thank you very much for answers in advance!

If you've already signed a contract and they've found you a buyer I can't see any reason at all why they'd agree to drop their fee now!

If you read your contract you will probably find that you can't sell with another agency for a period of time, or can't sell without also paying them, or even if you don't sell at all you may still need to pay their fee because they have found you a willing buyer.

The time to negotiate this was before signing the contract!
  • berkhomeless
    Options
    I am not in harry to sell. And I am still not sure about selling now. I've started to look for buying ... I am disappointed that so bad condition and more money. As I understand I pay fee after transaction.
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd guess if you pull out of the sale now the agents will still want paying, as they've found you a buyer. That tends to be the way it is.

Best idea might be to keep looking & negotiate 5k off the price to account for your fees, or stall long enough your buyer pulls out & you can hopefully leave your contract freely
  • walwyn1978
    Options
    1.2% is what you agreed, so no, if you want to sell to this offer you're paying the 5k.

If you are thinking of changing agencies, read the contract you signed to see how long you're tied in with your agency, if at all.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1 - 1.5% is "usual" and normal, so your 1.2% isn't outrageously higher than other agents might typically charge.

You did have the chance to read up/try to negotiate, but the reality of that is that most of them have had people try to do that every day for the last 20+ years of their working lives, so they're much slicker at turning it back at you and not reducing their fees anyway.

So, don't feel you "lost out".

Unfortunately, now, you've signed the contract and you've got a buyer - so now is not the time to try to renegotiate as you "already owe them the full amount" so they've got you over the proverbial barrel.

But ... don't feel sad you're paying a lot ... it happens to most people. That's "pretty much the rate" for most and 1.2% isn't the most expensive agents' charge.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So the EA did what you asked and found you a buyer at an acceptable price, but too quickly for your liking - easy money for them maybe.

If they had taken a year to find you a buyer would you be happier with the fee?
  • PokerPlayer111
    PokerPlayer111 Posts: 343 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2018 at 6:46AM
    Options
    Its the normal fees for traditional estate agent, for future reference if you want the cheapest fees use doorsteps for £99 you get listed on rightmove and zoopla and there is no other fees once you have sold. Check this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73850191&postcount=50
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As I understand I pay fee after transaction.
    No. You pay whatever fee your contract with the agent says you pay when the conditions in it are met.

We can't see your contract, so none of us know what you've signed, but the rate of 1.2% is pretty normal.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if you pull out now, depending on your contract if they are a ready, willing and able buyer you may have to pay anyway

You!!!8217;ll struggle to get much lower than 1.2% without a DIY option
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is interesting. We have just put our house on the market, we asked for valuations from three local high street agents and the fees quoted were one at 0.7%, and the other two (one of which we have gone with at 0.5%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure