Solarplicity: Add your feedback

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Frankg wrote: »
    I think it would be wise to be wary of them The smallprint at the bottom of their website shows them to be a subsidiary of a Finance Company (looks like it was set up to sell solar panels via agents). With this background I think I will wait for a longer track record.

Solarplicity were formally known as LoCo2 (as it says in the OP)
    LoCo2 started supplying energy in the UK to domestic customers in July 2009.
    If you want suppliers that are more established than that, I suggest you stick to the big 6 (soon to be the big 5, as one is giving up ;)) ... and pay the higher prices usually associated with them.

Good luck!
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2018 at 1:41AM
    Frankg wrote: »
    I think it would be wise to be wary of them The smallprint at the bottom of their website shows them to be a subsidiary of a Finance Company (looks like it was set up to sell solar panels via agents). With this background I think I will wait for a longer track record.

Well I switched to Solarplicity, so far has been fairly smooth, I will report back when complete, I have called them to check progress and get through to customer services in two rings!

I really like the lack of a standing charge which will save me £200 a year but I also like that they are true to their name

Part of programme to install Solar Panels in homes of 800,000 homes is a good thing in my book

Dutch investor plans to bankroll 800,000 solar panels

More detail here

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/home/solar-panels-installer-targets-subsidy-independence-by-2019-52289

or here if you are not registered to above site

http://www.scottishhousingnews.com/17071/uk-8000000-social-homes-to-be-fitted-with-free-solar-panels/

£160m investment is a good start.

I think Solarplicity is like a lot of companies that have been a victim of their own success and unable to get their infrastucture to cope, EE and TalkTalk are prime examples.

I still think there are a few bugs in their email system and they still have work to do on their portal so that it crowdsources, for example having the customer input the initial readings which are then sent to old supplier, currently staff tell me this is done by a Data Management team after customers call or email in their opening reads.

The welcome pack suggested it could be done via the portal and the box is there but option not yet active, one would imagine this would all be automated in time so that the customer activity kicks off a batch update to the relevant supplier.

With Solarplicity and Ebico dumping the standing charge I hope we will see more competition in this pointless charge, Solarplicity have stated that they will always be cheaper than the big 6 or is it going to be 5 with Npower merger if it goes ahead.

Personally I think merger should NOT be allowed, the CMA allowed the broadband/mobile players to merge and now we have lousy competition in that market.

What CMA needs to encourage is the smaller fish to grow by merging so we have a big 10 or big 15.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 January 2018 at 9:50PM
    Currently looking at this supplier, but seem to be getting some mixed messages.

I see that the MSE CEC have a warning marker against this supplier.

But then I also see MSM (who own MSE) have recently agreed a special tariff offering from this supplier, called MSE Fixed. Seems to have been available exclusively via MSM (incl. MSE) since 15 Jan 2018.

Also...

Looking at the solarplicity website, I see they proudly proclaim
    Standing charges? Not us

Standing charges. We don't think that customers should have to stand for them.
    So unlike many other energy providers, we've given them the boot.
    and when looking at their generally available tariff
    No standing charges – we don’t believe in them
    So I don't quite follow why the MSM Fixed tariff offered by this supplier has a daily standing charge.

:huh:
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I was just having a play with their quotes, as I'm a fan of NSC accounts, but noticed that the refined quote was always for less leccy than I was entering, so I had to put in nearly 1,700kWh before it worked it out on 1,500kWh. Then I read the small print and noticed they reduce your figure by 11% for the LED bulbs .... shame I've already got em.

Reading this thread many seem to have had serious issues changing accounts. Is it worth the bother. I would like NSC, and also all RE leccy.

I'm with EDF (low carbon, but RE is better) and the leccy is cheaper after taking NSC into account. the gas is a bit dear, but hoping to reduce demand via small heat pump.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 January 2018 at 4:05PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I was just having a play with their quotes, as I'm a fan of NSC accounts, but noticed that the refined quote was always for less leccy than I was entering, so I had to put in nearly 1,700kWh before it worked it out on 1,500kWh. Then I read the small print and noticed they reduce your figure by 11% for the LED bulbs .... shame I've already got em.

Reading this thread many seem to have had serious issues changing accounts. Is it worth the bother. I would like NSC, and also all RE leccy.

I'm with EDF (low carbon, but RE is better) and the leccy is cheaper after taking NSC into account. the gas is a bit dear, but hoping to reduce demand via small heat pump.

If you use a comparison site. they will use the figures you use.
    (at least all the ones I'bve tried have)

Yes, if you use the suppliers website itself, it reduces the electricity figures by 11% to account for anticipated savings due to the free LED lightbulbs they will provide.
    This is as explained on their website, as you mention.

If you want a quote from their own website, based on your figures (undiscounted), then increase them by 12.5% :)

I posted this a week ago in the Ebico feedback thread, because someone mentioned they were attempting to get a quote off the Solarplicity website
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73716716&postcount=110

(no idea why they did not progress with the CEC quote instead - that would also have earned them upto £25 cashback for a dual fuel switch :huh:)
  • Just started a switch application to Solarplicity this week. Switching from Ebico for elec and from Bristol for gas.
  • Ruth_Penny
    Ruth_Penny Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 January 2018 at 10:39PM
    I moved to them because of a good quote. They immediately increased my direct debit by three-quarters, ignored contacts and refused to say on what they based their charge.

I'd asked for dual fuel but they didn't take over the gas until some time after the electricity.

I took them to the ombudsman; I finally got an apology dated the last day of a deadline, but they are still ignoring my emails and I've had to go back to the ombudsman to ask her to tell them to contact me.

Two consecutive bills projected my annual electricity bill at £45 and then £500+.

Look at other online reviews too
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just started a switch application to Solarplicity this week. Switching from Ebico for elec and from Bristol for gas.

Would love to know how your switch is going. I switched electricity online with them on 14th Jan, got an automatic email saying thank you for switching, your supply will be transferred in 21 days, and 21 days later have heard nothing since. Based on other reviews, it seems we're starting as we mean to go on.
  • Stuart_W wrote: »
    Would love to know how your switch is going. I switched electricity online with them on 14th Jan, got an automatic email saying thank you for switching, your supply will be transferred in 21 days, and 21 days later have heard nothing since. Based on other reviews, it seems we're starting as we mean to go on.

Not heard nothing since the first email I got after I stated the switch but according to the welcome pack in that email, my switch is due to take place on the 9th Feb.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not heard nothing since the first email I got after I stated the switch but according to the welcome pack in that email, my switch is due to take place on the 9th Feb.

Well I think you're ahead of me then because I didn't get an email with a welcome pack and switch date, all I got was the automatic "Thanks for choosing us, we'll be in touch soon" email that is generated immediately after filling the online application in.

As it said that my switch will be completed in 21 days, I expected to hear something within that time with a switch date.

I'll keep waiting and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport