Last minute holiday ideas

Comments

• CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just got back from Sardinia (for the 10th time - although for work not a holiday) its a beautiful island, i would recommend Alghero over Olbia for a holiday. Its apx 1h45 mins drive so not too bad.

There's beaches etc in Alghero, lots of lovely seafood restaurants and small bars in the old town (not clubby or traditional holiday resort type place)

Wherever you go, i would definitely get a car!
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 June 2017 at 7:48PM
    CM66 wrote: »
    Just got back from Sardinia (for the 10th time - although for work not a holiday) its a beautiful island, i would recommend Alghero over Olbia for a holiday. Its apx 1h45 mins drive so not too bad.

There's beaches etc in Alghero, lots of lovely seafood restaurants and small bars in the old town (not clubby or traditional holiday resort type place)

Wherever you go, i would definitely get a car!

What sort of roads between Olbia and alghero? I'm not adverse to the idea of driving but my last experience of driving in Italy was the amalfi coast and that is something I never, ever want to repeat!

Why get a car wherever, is it quite sparse with great distances between places of interest?
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    I'm with you on the Amalfi Drive :D
    Have you considered western Crete, flying into Chania?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Sardinia - anyone been? Recommendations where to go?

I have looked at Sardinia and it seems wonderful, but accommodation and other costs are a good deal higher than elsewhere in Italy.
    How about Puglia?
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Was on Med/Adriatic cruise in 2013, due to call in at Sardinia [Cagliari] for the day.....when this happened.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509741/Sardinia-storm-tears-Italian-island-causing-death-destruction.html

Obviously it was too dangerous for the ship's Captain to take the ship in, so we had to 'ride out' a Force 12 for the next 36 hours.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    What sort of roads between Olbia and alghero? I'm not adverse to the idea of driving but my last experience of driving in Italy was the amalfi coast and that is something I never, ever want to repeat!

Why get a car wherever, is it quite sparse with great distances between places of interest?

Good motorway type not heavily used.

We drove from Olbia and stayed in Alghro for a couple of days.

It is the better choice.

Car makes life easier and quicker to get from A to B.
  • adonis10
    blindman wrote: »
    Good motorway type not heavily used.

We drove from Olbia and stayed in Alghro for a couple of days.

It is the better choice.

Car makes life easier and quicker to get from A to B.

Sounds good and looks like what we will do. How long did it take you to drive from Olbia to Alghero? I am looking into changing our dates so that we can fly back from Alghero (taking the hit and flying to stanstead!) to save wasting time driving back to Olbia, although the dates don't align perfectly.

My other thought is now to take in Costa Brava for 3-5 days, fly down to Sardinia and spend another 3-5 there but I am not sure if this is logistically possible.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    So, house renovation and repairs have hit our budget this year so haven't been able to plan and book anything. Struggling for ideas so looking for some inspiration - ideally 7-10 days between 22/7 and 5/8 to somewhere hot with nice beaches, sights and architecture etc. Greek islands a favourite but already done skiathos, skopelos, Athens, santorini, Mykonos, Naxos and Paros so struggling with where to go next in that region. Fancy Portugal and is cheap to fly but hotels are either super expensive or look shabby.

Any thoughts massively appreciated because hotels are few and far between it seems.

What about private rentals Owners direct or Homeaway have quite a few........granted some rough looking rentals but most are very good
    Have rented for last 2 years in Praia da Luz and Burgau both times fantastic beaches and no riff raff
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2017 at 7:26PM
    Sounds good and looks like what we will do. How long did it take you to drive from Olbia to Alghero? I am looking into changing our dates so that we can fly back from Alghero (taking the hit and flying to stanstead!) to save wasting time driving back to Olbia, although the dates don't align perfectly.

My other thought is now to take in Costa Brava for 3-5 days, fly down to Sardinia and spend another 3-5 there but I am not sure if this is logistically possible.

2hrs-it's only 150Km and is a motorway.

Watch out for one way car hire fees.

Or you could catch the train -4hrs
  • adonis10
    blindman wrote: »
    2hrs-it's only 150Km and is a motorway.

Watch out for one way car hire fees.

Or you could catch the train -4hrs

Yeah, I thought that but then we don't want it for the whole holiday. Really frustrating that to go anywhere decent you have to drive 100 miles from the airport and back. I think Sardinia is starting to look unlikely - flights have gone up £240 each now Gatwick to olbia and the lack of info on what we want (nice beaches, sights restaurants and slightly lively vibe at night - too much to ask?) just seems tedious. It's like Costa smeralda or nothing, but that's super expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure