PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• greenbee wrote: »

I recently went into hospital for a minor op and my mother asked my (god knows why... this is my 7th or 8th time so she must know the drill by now) whether I had to give blood in advance. Apparently that's what they did in the old days - took your blood in case you needed it back. . I guess if you didn't need it, it then went into the general blood bank.

as per bolded.....
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 9:35AM
    as per bolded.....

Yes, but that was in the days when every hospital had blood processing facilities. They don't anymore. And testing and processing is much more sophisticated now.

Despite your constant comments that medical hasn't caught up with where you (with no medical training or scientific education and experience as far as I can tell from your posts) assume it should be, there have been HUGE advances made, mostly for the better. And the changes to our blood service have been made for the benefits of patient safety and the health of the nation as a whole.

I wouldn't want my blood back in the event of a problem - currently it's not something that would be advisable. Doing all the necessary checks two days before an operation would be difficult to achieve and expensive. Better to pay £123 for VJsMum's nice clean processed blood/blood products that they know is safe...
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    VJsmum wrote: »
    As a (former, but you have inspired me to go again) blood donor, I have no problem with the NHS selling surplus blood, which is life limited in any case - isn't it?

As for storing it to return to you -as said, i think its life limited and I have donated 50+ times (definitely more than an armful) and to date received none (touch wood etc)

So pleased to hear you are going back to donating - hopefully you will inspire others as well.

I haven't donated for 6 years now but am hoping that I'll get permission soon if my next lot of blood tests are OK.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DD2 has also registered as a potential bone marrow donor (as well as carrying an organ donation card)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    i'm A Rh Pos and used to donate, but was told I had to stop when i got M.E. as they don't know if it can be transmitted via blood (so much for the "It's all in the mind" school of thought).

OH is A Neg and I've just asked him if he'd been told it was very rare. He says he has been told it's "not very common" which I suppose amounts to the same thing :)
  • I thought they were on the verge of being able to make artificial blood substitute now too?

They've had a plasma substitute for many decades.

It's coconut water.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) I'd donate blood if I could but they don't want mine. I have ME as well as being on constant medication for an unrelated condition, and there is the small matter of what the Tropical Medicine place once described as a 'mystery virus' in my blood.

At the point where I was undergoing a lot of investigations 20 years ago, the hospital I was under had to send samples to them to test for Lyme Disease. They got a maybe and re-tested and got a negative and it's come up a mystery virus. They didn't seem very bothered about it so I didn't sweat the small stuff. You probably wouldn't want my carefully nurtured gore. ;)

Guys, here's an example of the wisdom of prepping. Came home in the past half hour and changed and wanted to have a quick cuppa before heading out to the allotment.

The water coming out of my kitchen cold tap is greyish black! :eek: Have spoken to the local water company and at least one other person nearby has reported the same. Am awaiting a call-back from their scientists and they might be coming to collect some of it for testing.

Sooo, atm, I don't know if I can use the water. Damn good job I have bottled water or I wouldn't have got my tea. Just annoyed with myself with not re-filling one of my 25 litre carriers when I emptied it a couple of days ago, was going to do it last night but didn't get to it - have plenty of other water stored.

All was fine when I left for work this morning, now I may or may not have potable water - see how quickly things can change?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :mad: Thanks to SuperGran popping over, I now know the likely cause of the black water supply - water company turned up unannounced today and changed every water meter whilst I was at work.

Without so much as a note ahead of time or a flyer through the door to say they'd done it and if the water came through discoloured, just run it for a few mins until it came clear.

What a flipping waste of time! And on the best day of the year when I was in such a happy mood and about to head out to the lottie to squeeze an hour of joyful gardening in at the end of a day stuck indoors. GRRR!

:o and breathe. Am now going to await their response to my formal complaint. Beggars.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Goodness Greyqueen that's more than annoying. Glad the issue has been resolved, but gladder still that you were well prepared when you first discovered the problem.
    I think for me that that's really what prepping is all about, trying to pre-empt domestic and practical family issues before they occur.
    Off now to check my water bottles are all full :)
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    water company turned up unannounced today and changed every water meter whilst I was at work.

That's was a bit risky.

What if you'd had your boiler, or washing machine, on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure