PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning pans

Other people have saucepans and frying pans that look like new. Mine get all crudded up on the bottom and outsides. Is it that other people don't cook or that they wash their pans better/more frequently?

How often do you wash the outsides of your pans?

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    every time I use them!!! or they would be mouldy, greasy and gross... why would you not wash the outside?

And those people who only wash the top of plates so the bottoms are greasy then they stack them in their cupboard so they are all filthy... and those who don't wash the handles on cutlery... gross!!

this is why I don't eat out anywhere haha.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I wash the outside of the pans every time I use them. If they get a bit burnt on the outside I soak them in biological washing powder overnight (not non stick ones).
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pigpen wrote: »
    every time I use them!!! or they would be mouldy, greasy and gross... why would you not wash the outside?

And those people who only wash the top of plates so the bottoms are greasy then they stack them in their cupboard so they are all filthy... and those who don't wash the handles on cutlery... gross!!

this is why I don't eat out anywhere haha.

Talking of cutlery, I watched an old come dine with me last night & they hostess let her dogs go round the table at dinner & someone asked her if she fed her dogs 'human' food & she said all the time & she then proceeded to feed her dog with her fork!! :eek::eek::eek:
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Oakdene wrote: »
    she then proceeded to feed her dog with her fork!! :eek::eek::eek:

That's awful.

The dog could easily hurt its tongue on the tines.

There are a few Come Dines where I'd have been ashamed to let the cameras in if that had been my kitchen.

I'm sure dogs are cleaner than children though.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I also wash the outside of the pan as well as the inside, every time. To start with, if I pour sauce etc out of a pan some invariably dribbles down the outside, so it needs washing for this if nothing else.

I'm 100% with Pigpen about washing bottoms of plates and handles of cutlery, too. It doesn't really take any longer, and it wouldn't occur to me to not do it.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ok it's me then (I do wash the outsides but clearly not thoroughly enough). when I moved out of the marital home I bought cheap ones, but I am about to replace them and want to keep the new ones nice.

Btw I gave never heard of anyone just washing the tops of plates, or not washing cutlery handles. And as for feeding the dog ... Dog lover that I am, that's just too gross to contemplate.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Every time. I don't understand why you wouldn't. A quick go over with astonish paste every so often leaves them gleaming.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,600 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I always wash the outside and bottoms of pans too.

Different techniques can be needed: potatoes make a right mess and need scrubbing whereas soup rarely needs more than a wipe.
  • I clean the outside/underneath of saucepans, so they can go back in the drawer, but if I'm honest I don't scrub them as thoroughly as the inside. I wouldn't leave them with dried-on food or anything like that though.

My sister has one of those reusable coffee cups so she can pick up a coffee on the way to work each day. Recently the person serving her commented that she is the only customer they have who washes hers out in between .... :eek:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    I clean the outside/underneath of saucepans, so they can go back in the drawer, but if I'm honest I don't scrub them as thoroughly as the inside. I wouldn't leave them with dried-on food or anything like that though.

My sister has one of those reusable coffee cups so she can pick up a coffee on the way to work each day. Recently the person serving her commented that she is the only customer they have who washes hers out in between .... :eek:

Breaking News... Waitrose ban free coffee for people who don't wash thier cups. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income