Neighbour planning velux window facing my bedroom

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    All my upper floor windows are velux and I can assure you you cant
    look down at anyone with them All I can see is skyline To look down at anyone or anything, I need to open them then get a chair to climb up on to poke my head through

The lowest thing I can see is the house over the road chimney pot
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    markusvic wrote: »
    So the velux he wants is on single storey extension looking at about 45 degrees towards my upper level bedroom window so i think looking up they can see the bedroom.

Maybe the bedroom ceiling but not much else.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    the velux he wants is on single storey extension looking at about 45 degrees towards my upper level bedroom window
    So the view will be equal to standing in the garden looking up.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    So the view will be equal to standing in the garden looking up.

..... or equal to looking out of your bedroom window, down into his shower room.....
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dont understand. in your OP you say it is overlooking your 'single story extension'
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 11:50AM
    You're being totally unreasonable. You don't want steam - water vapour - on your terrace in the summer? Have a word with yourself.

Also, I suspect that your neighbour will be obscure glazing the Velux if they don't want you staring down on their naked body. There is no invasion of privacy with obscure glazing - because it is obscure! Not only that, how much time do people spend looking at their ceiling, exactly when they are in a standing position? It's you that would be overlooking them if you chose to stand at your bedroom window. They will see nothing other a tiny bit of bedroom ceiling from one certain angle. As for overlooking your own single storey extension - physically impossible!

If you can apply logic to this scenario, rather than a knee jerk NIMBYism to what sounds like a modest addition under Permitted Development, then you'll discover that there is no issue. Let them get on with their lives.

This is possibly the most ridiculous complaint I've read on here.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    wheelz wrote: »
    It is not very clear what is proposed but a side window that is not on the ground floor of a house is only permitted development if it is:Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions Also look at the technical guidance link on the page.

If your neighbour wants an opening window and not obscurely glaze it he/she needs to put in a planning permission and the impact on the neighbour's amenity, privacy, overlooking etc would be assessed. It is likely that they would get a permission with a condition attached that the window needs to be obscurely glazed and non-opening if not 1.7m above floor level.

A velux goes in the roof. It's going to be above 1.7m high. Totally compliant.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    If you have a kitchen and bathroom in your single storey extension does that not mean that you are emitting not one but two lots of steam and smells towards his terrace? Perhaps he should complain about you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    elsien wrote: »
    If you have a kitchen and bathroom in your single storey extension does that not mean that you are emitting not one but two lots of steam and smells towards his terrace? Perhaps he should complain about you.

He also wants to build a conservatory/orangery in the space he is currently protecting - slightly more glass than one obscured velux window!!!
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Reading all three of their threads with threats of taking people to court the OP sound like the neighbour from hell.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure