MOT 10 Day Limit

Options
Hi everyone,

This is just a quick one, but slightly confusing.

My car failed its MOT test 10 days ago, today.I took the car to the same garage for the neccessary repairs for the earliest date the garage would allow me (Today), so exactly on the 10 day limit.

I left the car there at 8:30am. At 5pm i recieved a call saying the car wont be ready until tomorrow morning as they couldn't fit me in. This will however take the car into the 11th working day after the MOT fail.

Will i be required to pay for a full retest, or will i be able to get a free MOT partial test?

The Gov UK websites state it's up to 10 working days but is this a law?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• sholmes2
    sholmes2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    To be clear - they did have me booked in for the work, I believe a previous car took them longer than expected and this is why they didn't have the required time before they closed!
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You!!!8217;ll need to pay for a full test.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    In which case you'll negotiate with the garage for them to reduce their repairs charge by the amount of the retest fee. After all the reason for the retest fee is because of their (lack of) performance. ;)
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 10 working days is set in law so, if the fail was 10 calendar days ago (Tues 3rd) you're still within time for a partial retest.

Depending on the garage, they may or may not charge a partial retest fee - many won't charge even when they can, especially if you have the repairs done by them.
  • sholmes2
    Options
    Lawfully, do I have a leg to stand on? It was in our oral agreement that they would fix the problem and do a retest free of charge.

The MOT only failed due to a leaking rear cylinder - which all in all wont take long to change.
  • sholmes2
    Options
    sholmes2 wrote: »
    Lawfully, do I have a leg to stand on? It was in our oral agreement that they would fix the problem and do a retest free of charge.

The MOT only failed due to a leaking rear cylinder - which all in all wont take long to change.

Edit: I don't have a problem paying £30, I just value my time better rather than waiting for a retest.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    The 10 working days is set in law so, if the fail was 10 calendar days ago (Tues 3rd) you're still within time for a partial retest.

Depending on the garage, they may or may not charge a partial retest fee - many won't charge even when they can, especially if you have the repairs done by them.

It's 10 working days. Not calendar days so you get two weeks to take it back for a retest.
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You!!!8217;ll need to pay for a full test.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

What on earth is "!!!8217;"?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »
    What on earth is "!!!8217;"?

Have you been in hibernation for the last couple of months? I suggest you take a look at a few more threads and you'll soon see it's by no means an isolated incident.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's 10 working days. Not calendar days so you get two weeks to take it back for a retest.

yep, that's the point I was clumsily trying to make. If the fail was 10 CALENDAR days ago then the Op still has a couple of WORKING days left, so will still qualify for a reduced (or free depending on the garage's policy) retest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure