Tesco to cancel incoming direct debits without permission

Tesco savings have written to me to say that on 22 April they will cancel all dds that are incoming into their accounts. They say they pre notified of this change in October but I didn't receive anything. I found this facility useful and I don't believe Tesco have a right to cancel payments set up by their customers. I urge anyone affected to strongly complain by ringing 034 5678 5678. Say you want them to log a complaint.

Comments

• A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tesco savings have written to me to say that on 22 April they will cancel all dds that are incoming into their accounts. They say they pre notified of this change in October but I didn't receive anything. I found this facility useful and I don't believe Tesco have a right to cancel payments set up by their customers. I urge anyone affected to strongly complain by ringing 034 5678 5678. Say you want them to log a complaint.

Why would you believe this?

I guess this is Tesco trying to close high interest current account "loopholes".
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Talk about being late to the party!
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    I think Tesco should concentrate on what they were once good at - selling groceries.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite

ROFL :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Good one - I even thought you were serious for a nanosecond !
  • Yes I know they maybe trying to close loopholes but they have no right to cancel dds without permission. "Very intrigued" what do you mean by late to the party? Is there another forum on this and did you get the notification in October?
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    Yes I know they maybe trying to close loopholes but they have no right to cancel dds without permission. "Very intrigued" what do you mean by late to the party? Is there another forum on this and did you get the notification in October?

There's multiple threads on this and I've been advised at least three times directly by Tescos in the past months.

Have you got Fri 13th mixed up with April 1st?
  • Anyway I have complained and if other people don't do the same how do we expect to change anything. Tesco have been known to back down in the past. Will just use post office instead for savings
  • Please send a link to the other threads then, I don't spend my life on the internet and looking at forums
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Please send a link to the other threads then, I don't spend my life on the internet and looking at forums
    So you couldn't be bothered to look them up yourself and want someone else to do it for you.
  • they have no right to cancel dds without permission
    By giving you two months notice they can do what they want.

If you've missed the earlier notification, I suspect they'll be able to prove it was sent. In which case the regulator and the FOS take the view you've been told.

Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport